SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was the movie a publicity stunt? Absolutely.

Did the movie "open my eyes to the truth"? If that is what Moore calls it, no. The movie is full of lies and even contradicts itself. It went on about how Bush took too many "vacation days" and included the days that he has off from work, then claimed that his meeting with Tony Blair was a vacation day (he shown this picture so fast that if you blinked you would've missed out on what was happening in it). He also tried to make the claim that Bush was not serious about 9/11 when the planes were hitting their targets because he sat in a room of school children for 6/7 minutes after it happened, what he failed to mention is that the security team told him to stay calm while they found a safe route to where he gave his speech. Moore then went on about how only one congress person read the patriot act and then shows his face and later on shows a woman talking about the problems with it, contradiction? There was also that part where the Iraqi children were flying kites in their peaceful land until America came bombing them, it figures that he wouldn't point out that several of the buildings in the shots were Saddam's palaces and military centers. Moore done a lot of research and twisted it to support his own beliefs, and they are far from the truth.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megamanXplosion
    Was the movie a publicity stunt? Absolutely.

Moore done a lot of research and twisted it to support his own beliefs, and they are far from the truth.
    Yes it was a politically motivated publicity stunt, and yes he did color his movie for politically motivated purposes. One must keep this in mind when watching it. To call what was shown as lies is in and of itself, well a lie. There are no facts in the movie that cannot be substantiated. I would, however, say that I don't necessarily agree with his interpretation of the fact. This does not mean however that he lied, we just simply don't agree on what the facts mean. Don't mistake facts for interpretation of the facts.

The most important thing when watching this movie or listening to any political rhetoric is to keep in mind the political bias of the presenter and to filter accordingly. We MUST learn to think for our selves and question the motives of others even when they seem like they agree with our own beliefs. If we take the talking point of any political entity as gospel we will become deceived, because NO political entity has an exclusive on the truth. In fact they all distort the truth for their own ends.

A classic example of political distortion is when any candidate accuses another candidate of voting against a specific cause. Usually this is not the whole story. Often times a bill that is for some "really important" cause also has some really undesirable riders (e.g. pork barrel spending) or was a poorly written bill. The politician that voted against the bill did so because these riders made the bill as a hole unpalatable.

Whew, keeping this thread non-political is a challenge. The fact that it has stayed open for three pages is reason to congratulate the participants.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if the facts are so clear, and the research concluded, why do many people still feel that the MM film was a publicity stunt? Their is much more at stake than the credibility of this movie.

- Are people afraid to accept the truth, as scary as it may seem.

He knew given the topic one factual error no matter how small would have become fodder for the attack dogs and could have sunk the movie.
    I could not agree with this more.

If anything, MM made us all take a great big look at our political system (what's the crime in that).

One last note: MM is being charged with slandering voters opinion and they want to arrest him and put him in jail. Ahh what a wonderful world we live in!

People, do some reading, find the truth. Don't gather your facts from what you hear and see on TV, CNN and FOX are so completely politically influenced that factual evidence can't even be publicized (talk about great journalism)

Think about it - Movies are great for entertainment, war is not!

Michael Moore... keep up the great work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The film is Moore's slighted version of the truth... but hardly is the real truth, that is still out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LiquiDx don't forget to add the likes of CBS to your list. They blew a really good article on really lousy fact checking. It is a disgrace how little we can depend upon the news media for honest to goodness investigative reporting and fact checking of claims made by politicians and their parties.
    InternetSAR.org

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed KLB.

What still astonishes me is that people don't want to believe factual evidence. OK MM put his own twist on the story, and yeah the president does look like a ....... but hey MM simply said: Look at your president's connections, look at all the dirty money involved.

The MM film shows REAL soldiers, Real Politicians and REAL facts. If you choose to dismiss them, then it's your own prerogative, it's your FREEDOM of choice. That's what's great about this Country.

But what if this right was taken away.... many say this wont happen. But these are probably the same people that had faith in our right to Privacy. Ohh...... but wait we already gave that up (computer privacy). Of course this was for the better good of society..... certain bad people plot bad things on computers..... I guess satellite communication and telephones are outdated - encrypted lines!

The 9/11 film opened my eyes, and before I pursued the facts, I was completely 100% for this "Liberation War". Heck we all thought we were going to help the people of Iraq..... It was for a great cause..... we had the opportunity to connect our oil pipelines!

Weapons of mass destruction.... where are they - was there any.

Terrorist attacks.... ohh yeah.... our live stock, water systems etc... it's all in danger... we must protect ourselves.

Let's start with the state of Oregon, it only has 1 part time trooper to guard a 100 mile coast line.... c'mon.

Where is the real political agenda, nobody knows. MM simply collected factual evidence and created a documentary to inform us all.

Hate it or love it... you decide. Sometimes it easier to dismiss the truth than it is to accept it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets get into a political debate. That would get this thread closed. It is a tough line to walk I know. Remember non-political discussion
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just seen the film a week or two ago. It was a very powerful, moving film. I know Michael Moore is biased, and basically a propagandist, but a lot of the stuff is documented, plain and simple. There is stuff, I'm sure, that is presented in a very manipulative and disingenuous nature, but I guess that's OK as long as people realize it. I'm not real comfortable with this type of film being called a "documentary". It's more an editorial film than a documentary, although it does serve to document, to some degree.
    I hope Michael Moore's films do not start to change the standard for what is considered to be a documentary.
    Anyways, just judging it as a piece of art on film, I'd give it 4/4.

--ed

..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm a big fan of most of Michael Moore's work. I've seen everything I could get my hands on (Roger and Me, The Awful Truth Season 1&2, The Big One, etc) and have read most of his books.

That said: I've seen Fahrenheit 9/11 and was a little bit disappointed. It's nothing more than an endless rant about Dubya...whether all the claims made are true or not, I can't say, but what I can say: I thought that this movie is the worst of all of his work and I thought it was really boring...nothing new if you're familiar with his prior work...
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently he's speaking right now on my campus. Activities Board paid him an undisclosed amount... there are rumors it was somewhere in the range of 30 grand. Wow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The film was overly biased, but where i think he went wrong was expecting USA to be persuaded/believe it.

He focused on the wrong person, the puppet, he needs to look at the people pulling the strings.

Quote Originally Posted by KLB
    The moment you start accepting someone elses word as the truth without questioning is the moment you begin to be deceived.
    So, so true

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody may ever know what goes on in Bush's head, but I do think we deserve to hear credible opinions and a man should not be penalized or JAILED for stating his opinion of the events based on credible facts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a tragedy that, that movie was allowed to be released. It was very one sided, and I bet swayed **spelling opinions of many undecided voters, and uneducated voters. I am only 17 and I am much more interested in politics than many of the people eligible to vote. They just don't care and are going to ruin our country, its a shame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuhsheeez
    It was a tragedy that, that movie was allowed to be released.
    This isn't the Soviet Union, China or Cuba. We do have something called the first amendment, which guarantees our freedom of speech. If you don't like descendent speech, move to some less tolerant country. I happen not to like what Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly say, but I don't think they should be muzzled or censored simply because I disagree with them.

In a free society, one must have a thick skin and be willing to tolerate opinions that don't match one's view of the world. Without a diversity of opinions we become vulnerable to being oppressed in so many ways.
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread is closed. Political conversations are not allowed on SitePoint Forums, sorry.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff