SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallivan View Post
    Would anyone mind helping me install Mambo on my website? My MSN is m_gallivan12@hotmail.com and I am usually on afternoons, evenings, and weekends.
    I could help you install TYPO3 at no cost if you want to give that a whirl. I would also be willing to help someone install TYPO3 if they would help me install Drupal so I can do a comparitive analysis. I have very little time but am fast at TYPO3.

I'm trying to explore my options... and I have a long standing client that wants to try Drupal. I also ran across this article so my interest is peaked on a personal level.

TYPO3 and Drupal. Developer notes
    http://drupal.org/node/131855

Greg

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you are looking for is a flexible CMS

What you are looking for is a flexible CMS.

I would therefore recommend you to use: WebAPP CMS WebPortal

Its "flexible" because it has a flat DB files system and is built on CGI, allowing you to integrate any addone you may like out of millions free open source cgi scripts out there.

WebAPP
    http://www.web-app.net

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend to joomla, which has lot of resourse/mod to integrated with the forum ,such as phpbb, SMF...
    Search jobs, find employment and seek for your next
    career at seek for job

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeliber View Post
    I am in a middle of CMS research and testing for the community site i am about to start, but whenever i search for 'the best cms' or even 'the best community cms' i got nothing relevant. I am aware that there's no best cms, but best for your situation. However, i am still asking myself and now..yourself what is the best cms for comprehensive community building? What are your experiences and opinions.

It's easy to put up a forum and start a community by that, but i am searching for something more around that forum. I want to provide my visitors more options than one forum can give.

What my CMS needs is:

- full phpbb integration
    - blogging capability
    - articles section
    - ability of exporting 'hot topics' on other pages from phpbb forums
    - polls and petitions
    - RSS news agreggator
    - great scalability for future growth (multi server setups)
    - best possible performance and speed, stability
    - very good overall reputation
    - ease of use both by admin and users

I made the above list more on the fly, but that sums up generaly what is most important to me.

Just to mention, i heard that drupal has some special reputation and is known by its taxonomy, but misses phpbb integration and i don't like their built in forums (newbb if i am not wrong) Also i know that mambo is by many considered the best, but i got the impression that it just isn't meant for these kinds of community driven sites. Typo3 has everything, but that everything may turn to be too much, and it's requirements are too much which may result in lower performance. As for nukes.. i don't know what to say really.. there are simply too much clones that i end up confused.. CPG nuke sounds good, PHP nuke is very popular and all have phpbb integration. Are nukes good for community driven sites?

Please, post any experiences you may have with establishing a community with a CMS. What is/are the best CMS for community driven sites?

Thank you very much!
    Daniel
    I totally agree with these features

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best for me Joomla. Easy, flexible and fast learning curve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me Joomla is the best. If not, Drupal.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well.....

Quote Originally Posted by shaeldl View Post
    For me Joomla is the best. If not, Drupal.
    Top news... Both Joomla and Drupal are vulnerable to severe critical security issues. You can read more about it here: http://www.web-app.net/cgi-bin/index...play&num=11274

I for one stick to the genuine Perl, open source CMS from WeAPP.

Nothing personal, but php has a long way to go before offering safe applications or serious or commercial usage. Until then I would stick to the original Perl CGI scripting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joomla is only exposed in a specific component. All you have to do is patch the component or don't use the exposed component.

How are you so sure Drupal is still vulnerable. Drupal cleans up holes in in less than a week usually. And where is the proof that Drupal is vulerable. Drupal fixed a bunch of holes 3 weeks ago and launch Drupal 6 last week.

A language is not the answer, secure programming is.

Quote Originally Posted by webapp View Post
    Top news... Both Joomla and Drupal are vulnerable to severe critical security issues. You can read more about it here: http://www.web-app.net/cgi-bin/index...play&num=11274

I for one stick to the genuine Perl, open source CMS from WeAPP.

Nothing personal, but php has a long way to go before offering safe applications or serious or commercial usage. Until then I would stick to the original Perl CGI scripting

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend Joomla. Most all of our websites are now Joomla powered.
    Last edited by Dan Grossman; Jun 25, 2009 at 13:36. Reason: URL removed
    BuyUSProxies.com - Elite, Level 1, US Proxies for as low as $1/ea.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that WebAPP CMS is safer and more stable CMS. Why? Because its written in genuine Perl language.

Quote Originally Posted by marcel View Post
    Joomla is only exposed in a specific component. All you have to do is patch the component or don't use the exposed component.
    "Only", and only 100,000 users out there have not heard about the patch yet, and what came first the patch or the hacker? Have you heard of a concept of the vendor doing homework and releasing patches BEFORE hackers finding it first.

Quote Originally Posted by marcel View Post
    A language is not the answer, secure programming is.
    Language IS the answer. PHP is a new language interface, it has more bugs and security issues that you could ever dream of. Perl has been there longer which makes it more stable, safer and with less bugs.
    Not to mention the millions of open source and free Perl modules and addons out there, take a quick look at http://www.cpan.org and http://www.perl.org just to get the idea what a language strength is! An then rethink your statement: "language is not the answer"....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never heard of WebAPP before, but wow, that site has just such a bad layout, I couldn't look at it for more than 2 seconds, even if I really wanted.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

SitePoint Enthusiast Indifferent's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Xeliber: I would recommend either drupal or joomla. Both have great systems, community's, features, etc.

Usually its said that drupal is aimed more towards developers and joomla is a little easier to use. Not sure about the new versions and were they have gone with them, because I haven't tried them out.

I read that drupal has better performance, I can't say either way, just what I have read after researching about them both.

Both have what you want, so its really up to what you like better.

The drupal and phpbb3 intergrations should be here: http://vgb.org.ru/node/29
    Can't seem to find a phpbb3 version for joomla, although they do have fireboard. And there main site is using phpbb3, so it is possible.

Anyway, have fun with your project.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Sitepoint!

Quote Originally Posted by Yossi View Post
    I never heard of joomla, and I think that Drupal is a very nice CMS for family or school websites. If you want something more professional and safe then you should avoid all php CMS incluing Drupal, they are very buggy and unsafe.
    Right, Drupal for family and school websites? I wonder who told that to the Belgian Government and Prime Minister, FastCompany, AOL, Sun Microsystems, and many many more.

My choice is also webapp CMS, it has been around for nearly 8 years now and is much safer then any php CMS out there.
    As I've said before and continue to say, that page just doesn't look too inspiring, and 389 HTML errors aren't really convincing either, and using tables for layout, sorry but I wouldn't ever touch a CMS that has its main page like this. It doesn't look like much has changed over those 8 years (how can it be Version 1 after 8 years of development?) while the Internet has been evolving like crazy.

I understand that many kids and web designers want to "do it all" and this is why they choose the php interface, but common people wake up! If you want the real thing, then choose a real Perl portal and not some new mixed up language that tries to "make life easy" a la php.

Yossi.
    This looks a lot like some people actively and intentionally trying to improve webapps reputation.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could we get some more shill accounts in here pushing this webapp application?

Let's create a bunch of accounts, post one message pushing this webapp crap from each one of them and never have any of them log in again. If you're going to make the effort to spam, at least put some effort into it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can get it here
    http://www.opensourcecms.com/

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    joomla, i had my joomla integrated to phpbb3, and also know how to create all other things u mentioned
    Last edited by web67; Apr 15, 2008 at 20:08.
    Keep Up to date about everthing Website Flipping
    Find out how to same thousands on your Mortgage Broker fees.