User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niceguymmk
    hi,

Can anyone compare phpwebsite with mambo and xoops. There is no discussion on it. How good is it?

I want to know if phpwebsite is as good as mambo and xoops.
    You could hear us rant and rave about our preferences. But that's only 10% of the whole picture. To really know what's best for YOU, you got to test them yourself.

I would recommend trying Mambo then Xoops before phpwebsite. But after doing your own investigation, you might prefer Xoops.

Don't forget Drupal though - http://drupal.org.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes.. i agree with marcel.

Personally, when comparing phpwebsite with XOOPS i believe xoops is definitely better, but i admit that i haven't tried phpwebsite so i am just judging from what i saw on their site.

Thanks
    Daniel

Criticize BUSH at CRITICIZE.TV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you say ok to vbulletin then vbadvance is the best

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using xoops for some days. Yeah, its true that it was nice. Things can be done very easily, i tried the demo site of mamboo, mamboo was also good but some how i felt that its not very flexible. Can anyone suggest some good modules in xoops. and which is the best blog module for xoops.

thanks a lot for all ur suggestions.

Manoj

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manoj.. i sent you an e-mail..

weblog module (for xoops) still seems the best, but it's no longer in development. I was trying to find someone to continue it's development with no luck so far.

If you need good personal blog modules (not multiuser) than wordpress and popnup modules are great. You can also use news module as a blog module because it basically has all you need..

Here is the link to xoops blog modules from the module repository

Thanks
    Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those portals which have mods looks better

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.movabletype.org/features.shtml

Did u guys come across this one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the best way probably would be downloading a forum and installing mods.

use one of the free boards and install mods.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by mengland
    Details

I want CMS-article-object cross references with forum threads and vice versa. Maybe this is what some here mean (at least in part) when they say "CMS-to-forum integration"...but I at least want to clarify this point...and see what CMS-forum combinations might provide this (any pointers/suggestions/references?).

i.e., I want any CMS reader to be able to immediately be able to start (or follow-up an existing) comment area/discussion that is linked to a topic-thread in the forum server/software. Furthermore, if the reader visits the forums area they can see a list of topic-threads that are back-linked to their respecting CMS articles/objects (for those topic-threads that are related to CMS articles...not all them need be and most of the probably will not).
    Hello Matt (mengland),

Any luck in what you looked for?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kayenumb
    Hello Matt (mengland),

Any luck in what you looked for?
    In short: no.

(Thanks for checking up on this; I'm glad that you the other member that sent me a private msg on this matter are actually taking the time to read these--or at least my--posts this well. )

While there are many CMSes that technically have this capability, I have yet to find one that integrates with a forum (namely phpBB) without having to modify said forum software/database significantly...or simply be a proprietary forum flavor. To be clear: I want to build a phpBB forum set and decide at any time to "link" forum topics with CMS articles (in each direction) at any time, while still being able to operate both the CMS and the forum independently (save for the article-and-forum-topic cross-links) if need be (say I like one CMS flavor one day and a different one then next...of different ones for different sites/applications/topics).

There are some that come close, namely Mambo's phpBB forum integration. However, Mambo still requires a ton of MODs to a phpBB database/software set such that said phpBB forum can no longer accept a lot of the other, non-Mambo MODs that I require (and I'm not sure the resulting phpBB forum can still live on its own, either...but if any of them can, I'd like at Mambo's setup first).

There seems to be a big fascination with single-user-signon in the CMS-to-forum development-integration world. While this is helpful, in most of my smaller communities (which tend to be development-related), I suspect it's not such a big deal. In any case, I have yet to find any significant CMS or forum application that does not have some sort of LDAP tie-in for which I can probably solve the single-signon problem anyway. My point being: CMS-to-forum integrators seem to be so obsessed with single-signon features and miss the point I'm trying to solve, and that is link content with discussions (in essence, structured content with unstructured content).

One of my key forum-MOD objectives is to run every one of my forums with seamless email-list "synchronization," as per what http://mail2forum.com/ (aka M2F) provides. However, M2F 1.0 currently requires native phpBB software set, and not a heavily-modified one (like Mambo's or many of the other phpBB derivatives/copycats for CMSes). An aside: I really do not understand how forum admins and email-list admins can live with so many communities that suffer because email lists do not have forum-archive capability and forums do not have email-interaction capability. I find myself truly stunned by this deficiency in the state-of-the-art in open-source software. This capability is a staple of even things like yahoogroups.com, but yet when I went to the vBulletin folks and *begged* for them to insert this functionality, they dismissed me rather quickly (and imho, rather rudely--I tried to press on and then I think I aggravated them in the process, so I gave up).

But back to my main point: I still have not found what I'm looking for.

I'm hoping that phpBB 2.2, and its supposed API development, can allow for better and cleaner MODification (for both CMSes and for things like M2F) so that module/add-on integration can be much easier and less interdependent.

Having said all that...it's been about 6-8 months since I tried to scope most of this out...and I also may not have been privy to all the best info then, either...so if anyone wants to dispute and/or add on to any of the information/assertions above, I invite them to contribute to this topic-thread. I am always interested in learning more.

-Matt

ps: I want to do the same thing (linking discussions with content objects/articles in an "independent," modular fashion) in the context of Wiki's (and the Wiki entries) as well. In fact, I think there are so many powerful applications of linking discussions (or other, non-structured content/data/info) with some sort of structured content that (like CMS articles or Wiki entries--that hopefully establish some sort of structure over time, or at least have the capability to achieve structure)...or even linking any content with a discussion...that I think a general model/API for linking content with discussions should really evolve from the primitive organisms that we are using now so that we can basically link any discussion (be it "instantiated" in the form of an email, web forum, newsgroup, etc) with any content object (be it a book, CMS article, Wiki entry, etc). I would think this would be quite powerful. Heck, just the ability to link the discussions together across multiple "interfaces" (web forum, newsgroup, email, etc) would be extremely powerful in and of itself.

Sure, many can argue that their software already does this. But does it allow one to pick and choose which software they use for each module? Can I choose any forum software to go with any mailing list software to go with any CMS to go with any Wiki...and then tie it all into the same site/system with few integration headaches? I highly doubt it. Right now, a site admin is forced to get all those things together only with proprietary integrations; they (the site admin) can not choose each application to serve each different purpose. If they could, they could then possibly choose what they think would be the "best of breed" for that purpose (be it email list, CMS, Wiki, web forum, etc) and not have to be saddled with the limitations of the "proprietarily-integrated" modules/application.

Maybe one day we will be able to make this choice. Until then, we seem to be pretty far away from this capability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cute News Fork is really worken well for me. I would just intergrade the forum and the cms with eachtother. That what I do with my sites...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big_k105
    here is a list of open source cms i dont know if any of them integrate with phpbb but you can check
    http://www.oscom.org/matrix/index.html
    Postnuke has phpbb integrated module called pnphpbb
    On a PHP/Java/XML/Javascript/MySQL internship right now!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Does it have to be PHP based?
    in1.com | Bootply - Bootstrap playground

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by marcel
    How about Drupal - anyone tried it ? Or have comments on it. It's really grown up since I last looked at it - about 1 1/2 year ago. I think it would make a excellent Intranet. I'm thinking of using it.

From what I recall it was also used on Deanspace.org.

http://drupal.org
    The biggest, best example of Drupal that I know of is Ecademy

Personally, having used just about every cms multiple times, I like tikiwiki and phpwebsite.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wrt Drupal:

I am using Drupal for my internal-blogging site for multiple authors and groups. It's my experience that Drupal is strong in the blogging area, and provides much better "corporate"/multi-user blogging capability then MT, WP, WPMU, Nucleus, and b2evo.

Drupal has other CMS capabilities, but I have yet to use them. I will looking to check out Mambo first for these things.

-Matt

SitePoint Enthusiast NativeMind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm moving away from phpBB and mx-system, and have already put up one Drupal site, part of one of my sites here:
    http://www.onpointtactical.com/
    and it's info site (drupal): http://www.onpointtactical.com/info/

For Drupal, the multi-user blogging is nice, and it is very feature rich for handling permissions of multiple users, RSS feeds, and different types of content. So far, my beefs with Drupal are: no clear weblinking system (i create a yahoo-like directory of web links). As far as I can tell, the weblinks module is being re-written with some other directory module (not yet released). The online documentation doesn't really explain this well and I had to go into IRC and ask.

The reason I started to consider Drupal was what I have seen on SpreadFirefox: http://www.spreadfirefox.com . It looked nice, and I like having feeds off of certain information.

Overall, I think forums are nice but blogs are the wave of the future. More often than not, I see forum posts on my other websites that are little more than people venting. These posts mix up with other meaningful informational posts. Having a better blog system for this would help. Then have a smaller forum/discussion area for things that are truely topics for discussion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm developing a new web site with drupal and i pretty much love it so far. When i first started (and that's when this thread got born) drupal seemed a bit too hard to grasp, but now i feel quite comfortable with it and besides that, it seems to have evolved through the year quite well. I would still say that it's not the best choice for those wanting a forum based site with all the bells and whistles modern forums such as phpbb usually have, but for a blog site, magazine, news or content site of any kind it is excellent.

I saw some people complaining about core drupal install not being feature rich enough missing some things many consider a "must have", but i find that fact as being an advantage of drupal. It is very minimal to start with thus giving you an edge on shaping your web to be exactly how you want it to. Every little bit of extra functionality requires a new module, but modules are easy to install and that makes customizing drupal to have all that you really need and no extra bloat a straightforward and great job.

Thanks
    Daniel

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have used phpwebsite a lot, but after reviewing drupal and talking to my developer it looks like drupal has lots of flexibilty.. if you know php and want to expand a lot drupal is the way to go. mambo is mainly for user who want ready product and also good for corporate sites.
    SJ Innovation
    Indianherbcare.com : Buy natural herbs, nutritional
    products and vitamin supplements, beauty care.

Mongols of the world, unite! Lira's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    At the moment i'm keeping an eye on wordpress - if a way to run multiple blogs in the same installation appears, & the ability to use the log in system to allow people to log in and comment / post a new story, it would be very feasable to use this as a forums system. Would only really need some creative templating to work as well. Not as feature rich as phpBB would be, but you'd have the simplicity and elegance of wordpress on your side
    So, have you (or someone else) tried doing this yet? Sounds interesting.
    Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family.
    Choose washing machines, cars, tableless sites, and SEO.
    Choose DIY and wondering who the f' you are on a Sunday morning.
    Choose a marketing strategy. Choose your future.
    Choose life.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

newbie post,read this thread :)

hi, im new here,names Gareth aka VALLEYSBOY to most that now meor ...VB.. for short i have at most done simple webs sites that have a separate forum linked to it,i run WOSEC a online racing community and its time i joined the forum to web site,hence the thought on cms,i was well impressed with all the comments here i have so far setup a xoops site and mx. my cms site will be forum lead mainly, im reallt glad i found this site as it has answered no end of questions that were running around in my simple brain, Thanks to all"i dont now you all" but you sure got me on the right road ...VB...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My two cent on Drupal

Quote Originally Posted by Xeliber
    I'm developing a new web site with drupal and i pretty much love it so far. When i first started (and that's when this thread got born) drupal seemed a bit too hard to grasp, but now i feel quite comfortable with it and besides that, it seems to have evolved through the year quite well. I would still say that it's not the best choice for those wanting a forum based site with all the bells and whistles modern forums such as phpbb usually have, but for a blog site, magazine, news or content site of any kind it is excellent.

I saw some people complaining about core drupal install not being feature rich enough missing some things many consider a "must have", but i find that fact as being an advantage of drupal. It is very minimal to start with thus giving you an edge on shaping your web to be exactly how you want it to. Every little bit of extra functionality requires a new module, but modules are easy to install and that makes customizing drupal to have all that you really need and no extra bloat a straightforward and great job.

Thanks
    Daniel
    Hello Daniel,

I've just read the whole thread and it's funny to see how your opinion has changed over time. I've been a PHP/MySQL developer for 6 years and I'm seriously considering using Drupal on my future web projects. I've installed version 4.7-beta (http://drupal.org/drupal-4.7.0-beta3) and I've been pretty impressed by the functionality that you get out of the box (AJAX, free-tagging, etc.).

The problem with evaluating any open-source CMS in general is that pretty much everyone has a (different) opinion about them depending on their skillset, previous experience, or what they need to do with it... That's why I find it extremely difficult - impossible ? - to compare CMS's as each of them are so different and might suit different types of users.

In my search of a good (ie. that would fit my needs, skillset, experience...) open-source CMS in PHP/MySQL, Drupal was the finalist (because: 1) It matches my core skill-set (PHP/MySQL); 2) I hear it's very cleanly coded; 3) It produces rather "pure" output (almost 100% XHTML-compliant); 4) I like the product (what it does, how it does it, its flexibility); 5) After reading many posts on drupal.org forums, I like the Drupal community and I admire its leaders.)

To anyone investigating Drupal, I'd like to recommend a book that has proven very useful in my search : Building Online Communities With Drupal, phpBB, and WordPress (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590595629/).

Note that the author, Robert T. Douglass, is one of the Drupal leaders. Therefore the book doesn't compare Drupal to other CMS's, neither does it speak of Drupal's weaknesses (if any ;-)). But it gave my a very good understanding of what Drupal is about, what it does and how it works, and as a consequence it helped me make an informed decision.

Besides, it's so much nicer to have it all in one place (the book), rather than having to aggregate myriads - and sometimes unreliable - sources from all over the web.

Still, I haven't really looked into the Drupal code yet. I consider myself a quite good PHP developer. I know that Drupal is not for the PHP newbie and I don't mind that. The things most important to me are clean, good code and flexibility.

I'd be interested to have a developer's viewpoint on these points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We welcome you with open brackets <?php ?>

Quote Originally Posted by vincedo
    Hello Daniel,

I've just read the whole thread and it's funny to see how your opinion has changed over time. I've been a PHP/MySQL developer for 6 years and I'm seriously considering using Drupal on my future web projects. I've installed version 4.7-beta (http://drupal.org/drupal-4.7.0-beta3) and I've been pretty impressed by the functionality that you get out of the box (AJAX, free-tagging, etc.).

The problem with evaluating any open-source CMS in general is that pretty much everyone has a (different) opinion about them depending on their skillset, previous experience, or what they need to do with it... That's why I find it extremely difficult - impossible ? - to compare CMS's as each of them are so different and might suit different types of users.

In my search of a good (ie. that would fit my needs, skillset, experience...) open-source CMS in PHP/MySQL, Drupal was the finalist (because: 1) It matches my core skill-set (PHP/MySQL); 2) I hear it's very cleanly coded; 3) It produces rather "pure" output (almost 100% XHTML-compliant); 4) I like the product (what it does, how it does it, its flexibility); 5) After reading many posts on drupal.org forums, I like the Drupal community and I admire its leaders.)

To anyone investigating Drupal, I'd like to recommend a book that has proven very useful in my search : Building Online Communities With Drupal, phpBB, and WordPress (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590595629/).

Note that the author, Robert T. Douglass, is one of the Drupal leaders. Therefore the book doesn't compare Drupal to other CMS's, neither does it speak of Drupal's weaknesses (if any ;-)). But it gave my a very good understanding of what Drupal is about, what it does and how it works, and as a consequence it helped me make an informed decision.

Besides, it's so much nicer to have it all in one place (the book), rather than having to aggregate myriads - and sometimes unreliable - sources from all over the web.

Still, I haven't really looked into the Drupal code yet. I consider myself a quite good PHP developer. I know that Drupal is not for the PHP newbie and I don't mind that. The things most important to me are clean, good code and flexibility.

I'd be interested to have a developer's viewpoint on these points.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marcel
    We welcome you with open brackets <?php ?>
    Thank you, Marcel!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would anyone mind helping me install Mambo on my website? My MSN is m_gallivan12@hotmail.com and I am usually on afternoons, evenings, and weekends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP and MySQL with AJAX are great if you can build with someone who has experience in your field. The site we built http://www.sitepoint.com/marketplace/auction/8374 was constructed on a php and MYSQL CMS. The developers had prior experience in develop CMS systems for social networks, this made a huge difference.