Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeliber
    Heh.. Thank you Marcel!

I didn't really count the hours, and i worked on it a few nights at the same time working on more issues (yeah, i gotta organize myself better, and i will) .

Let's see.
    The installation was really easy, just following the instructions from the install file and then the instructions on the screen.
    For configuration, you first need to install the modules you need. It is pretty easily done through the module preferences to which you come from the popup menu from system box on the upper right corner. To install other modules you may download from xoops.org sites, in most cases you just upload the whole module folder to the modules folder on the server and you'll find it sitting and waiting for install in the modules configuration. So handling differend modules is rather easy and every module has it's own preferences.

The important part for getting the site looks as you want it to look is to configure the appereance of blocks, you may do that in blocks configuration of system module. You can setup the blocks for every xoops page including the top page. The most time for that i spent setting up blocks for top page. After you do that, all other pages mimic the basic setting of top page so there is not much to do there then except if you want to add custom blocks with text or something. All in all, it's not that much of a hassle.

The theme, which probably impresses you the most, i must humbly admit' is 'powered by' 7dana-jane theme which is easily installed just by uploading it in themes folder and selecting in general preferences.
    However, i wanted it to look at least a bit different than their original themes so i edited some colors, added the main logo, replaced those little pics for main and user menu's to be closed and opening little folders when you hover with mouse over it, replaced original forum icons, brightened up color of the left columns, made title backgrounds in center column a bit 'yellowish' etc. etc.
    All in all, it looks quite different than the original theme.

I'd say it's not very hard to get it looking the way you want it, even if you need to modify some CSS and html codes it is simply copy-pasting some codes around
    or changing values of numberse and color codes. I edited theme.html in the 7dana-jane theme folder and the CSS file inside the same folder to edit the look and feel to be the way i'd like it to be.

And there may be some little changes yet, the site is not officialy launched yet.

Am i bubbling, what's with me, i am talking like crazy..
    Anyway, hope it's of help. :-)

Daniel
    LOL, I was drawn in by this post. I've been in the process of searching for the CMS of my dreams and, after reading here, I have it boiled down to 2 choices; XOOPS and TikiWiki.

I'm going to test both on my server and see which one I like the best. First, though, I'll try XOOPS because it's built into my CPanel on my Linux server. Then, I'll try the other. I'm sure I'll make a sound choice.

I was, before reading this forum, going to go with PHP Website, but it just doesn't have all the features I want/ need.

Thanks everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome!
    I am glad that post helped anyone.

Daniel

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Summary

It would help me if we defined "forum-to-cms integration" here.
    I would like automatic cross-references between CMS articles and forum topic-threads.

Can anyone recommend solutions?
    I briefly looked at Daniel's site, and it doesn't seem to do this, although I didn't look long. Daniel's site seems to be more about hosting a community and less about managing content articles/objects/documents (which I need for some of my CMS applications/uses...but not all).

More references in details below.

Details

It seems as if most here are happy with single-sign-on between a forum (my preference would be phpBB) and a CMS as well as some forum-content displays/blocks in the CMS presentation.

This does not suffice for me. I want CMS-article-object cross references with forum threads and vice versa. Maybe this is what some here mean (at least in part) when they say "CMS-to-forum integration"...but I at least want to clarify this point...and see what CMS-forum combinations might provide this (any pointers/suggestions/references?).

i.e., I want any CMS reader to be able to immediately be able to start (or follow-up an existing) comment area/discussion that is linked to a topic-thread in the forum server/software. Furthermore, if the reader visits the forums area they can see a list of topic-threads that are back-linked to their respecting CMS articles/objects (for those topic-threads that are related to CMS articles...not all them need be and most of the probably will not).

I would want this done automatically, i.e., I don't admins/moderators/users to have to manually insert a forum thread link into a CMS article discussions area nor should they have to manually insert a CMS article link in a topic-thread.

It looks like the Mamboserver-phpbb combo might do this...marginally (or so it looks at http://opensourcecms.com ). http://devshed.com seems to do this just a little better, and I asked them what tools/processes they use to do this at this link (and also have a helpdesk ticket going, which I can not reference here because it's a private link):
    http://forums.devshed.com/t180619/s.html

Anybody have any other references?

-Matt

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mengland
    Can anyone recommend solutions?[/b] I briefly looked at Daniel's site, and it doesn't seem to do this, although I didn't look long. Daniel's site seems to be more about hosting a community and less about managing content articles/objects/documents (which I need for some of my CMS applications/uses...but not all).
    I spoke/wrote too soon. The first article I looked at on Daniel's site had what looked like a clean presentation/integration with a forum thread, and a *significant* thread at that:

http://www.libervis.com/modules/wfse...dossier-3.html

However, I'm poking around the forums (separate form the aforementioned article) and I can not see the article-specific topic-discussion-thread in there (the forums).

I also ran a search on "Here is a quote by Richard Stallman that may be of importance", some text that Daniel posted in the article discussion-thread, and the search did not find anything.

Thoughts? Help? Pointers for this rookie/newbie?

Something else I found interesting: There's a "Forum" button at the top of the aforementioned article which appears to go to an entire _Forum_, and not just a topic-thread...which seems pretty cool...in that one could possibly associate multiple topic-threads to one article?

However, I'm concerned about the manual/tedious nature to set this up. On at least some of my server applications (for different organizations), there will probably be many article/objects and many topic-threads that may or may not need to correlate with each other, and admins/moderators like me will not want to manually have to "correlate" them all the time. I want the users and/or automated system to manage this.

Just a friendly reminder...I want a Forum visitor to see the back-link references to the Articles, so that they might have a proper discussion _context_ where appropriate for certain topic-threads. It seems to me that a link from the Articles to the Forums is easy; an aesthetic/obvious link in the other direction seems more difficult.

And of course I want this all automated. I'm not asking for much, am I??

-Matt

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,

This was a VERY informative thread, thanks!
    After reading all the comments and doing some research, I narrowed down to Mambo, Xoops, and TikiWiki.

In the end, I decided that Mambo is the right tool for me (hopefully I made the right decision).

Mambo seems to be very powerful, is easy on the CPU, allows to easily customize the interface, and their modules architecture give you endless options for expansion.

Their control panel options look powerful and easy to use.
    Also, I am pretty new at working with PHP/MySQL and I heard that Mambo is easy for newbies to understand and modify.

And most people that have Mambo seem very happy with it (according to several reviews I've found).

Another product that I didn't hear mentioned in this thread is InLink 2. It seems very powerful and they have a "more power than any competing product, guaranteed" slogan. But since it is not free and I didn't find many people talking about it, I skipped it. You may want to check it out though.
    Visit our Kids' Online Community at www.pers.com
    Free games, songs, and educational content.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also learned a lot from this discussions. Thanks Xeliber for starting the thread.

I am currently using IntegraMOD for my site which basically started as plain phpBB2. Then I shifted to Smartor's EZPortal for a month until I find it to be too complicated to administer when adding modules. I also looked at PHPNuke and CPG Nuke and liked the easy administration but then had problems importing my phpBB forums and got hesitant when I learned of numerous security vulnerabilities.

I found IntegraMOD (integramod.com) from phpbbhacks.com and tried it. It's basically phpBB2 with all the nice mods integrated already. A lot of improvements has been added when I started with version 1.2.3 and it's now 1.3.2

I also tried Mambo and really liked the ease of use and themes available. Unfortunately, it's the lack of integration with phpBB2 that stopped me from using it. Thanks to the post on phpBB integration, I'll give it another try.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alien_bz
    I am currently using IntegraMOD for my site which basically started as plain phpBB2. Then I shifted to Smartor's EZPortal for a month until I find it to be too complicated to administer when adding modules.
    Can you talk more about this? Did Smartor's make it harder for other phpBB2 MODs to work? Which ones?

I also tried Mambo and really liked the ease of use and themes available. Unfortunately, it's the lack of integration with phpBB2 that stopped me from using it. Thanks to the post on phpBB integration, I'll give it another try.
    Does this mean you are going to give Mambo-phpBB integration another try, or something else?

Are you still using IntegraMOD today?

I mostly need to make sure I can get the M2F, aka Mail2Forum ( http://m2f.sourceforge.net --it mirrors a web forum and an email list) MOD to work with any phpBB systems that I use. The Mambo-phpBB combo does not look promising for this, and I'm hoping I can get Smartor's to work with it, or maybe IntegraMOD per your (alien_bz's) suggestion.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

-Matt

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By xeliber

Hello guys.. i am surprised to see this thread outburried again and growing again..

Anyway.. i am Xeliber, only under different account since i can't login to my Xeliber account right now.

I've read your posts that emerged here and here are some answers..

By forum to CMS integration i originally meant the CMS that would have forums inside so that when visitor registers it registered at the whole site INCLUDING forums. That's probably the most basic integration i was thinking of, but also i wanted the ability to excerpt latest forum posts to homepage, the feature that i happily use now on my site. I am happy with xoops so far, and i've been using it for almost 2 months now.

For this article to forum integration it as you noticed does link to the certain forum which you can choose, but not to the thread itself. However this is just the feature of WF-Sections, the most popular articles module for xoops, there are some others. Originally you get only te news module with xoops, but xoops is totally modular so you can use whatever is existent. It's what's good about xoops and makes it very customizeable.

I'd say that there is a way you could link articles directly to the forum thread, i'll try searching for it on xoops.org site since that's what i'd like to do on libervis.com actually. And with that back and forth feature also (to have the link from the thread to articles)

Almost everything can be worked out in xoops i believe.. As i said it's very modular.

Xoops uses newbb forum integrated, but you can integrate phpbb also, there's a mod. However, that may not be neccesery soon enough because there's a newbb 2 in development that actually has even more features than phpbb and looks very promising. I still don't use it since it's in beta 4 stage right now, bu i will as soon as it get's to the stable release and we get an update script. It'll be a booming enhancement to libervis.com as well as the whole xoops CMS.
    Newbb is actually based on phpbb 1 as far as i know, so it'a kind of a fork of it which may in it's second incarnation bring even more forum power than phpbb.. We'll see.. I am however excited about it. Can't wait until it's finished.

Thanks
    Daniel

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Integration with Invision 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Xeliber
    Heh.. Thank you Marcel!

I didn't really count the hours, and i worked on it a few nights at the same time working on more issues (yeah, i gotta organize myself better, and i will) .

Let's see.
    The installation was really easy, just following the instructions from the install file and then the instructions on the screen.
    For configuration, you first need to install the modules you need. It is pretty easily done through the module preferences to which you come from the popup menu from system box on the upper right corner. To install other modules you may download from xoops.org sites, in most cases you just upload the whole module folder to the modules folder on the server and you'll find it sitting and waiting for install in the modules configuration. So handling differend modules is rather easy and every module has it's own preferences.

The important part for getting the site looks as you want it to look is to configure the appereance of blocks, you may do that in blocks configuration of system module. You can setup the blocks for every xoops page including the top page. The most time for that i spent setting up blocks for top page. After you do that, all other pages mimic the basic setting of top page so there is not much to do there then except if you want to add custom blocks with text or something. All in all, it's not that much of a hassle.

The theme, which probably impresses you the most, i must humbly admit' is 'powered by' 7dana-jane theme which is easily installed just by uploading it in themes folder and selecting in general preferences.
    However, i wanted it to look at least a bit different than their original themes so i edited some colors, added the main logo, replaced those little pics for main and user menu's to be closed and opening little folders when you hover with mouse over it, replaced original forum icons, brightened up color of the left columns, made title backgrounds in center column a bit 'yellowish' etc. etc.
    All in all, it looks quite different than the original theme.

I'd say it's not very hard to get it looking the way you want it, even if you need to modify some CSS and html codes it is simply copy-pasting some codes around
    or changing values of numberse and color codes. I edited theme.html in the 7dana-jane theme folder and the CSS file inside the same folder to edit the look and feel to be the way i'd like it to be.

And there may be some little changes yet, the site is not officialy launched yet.

Am i bubbling, what's with me, i am talking like crazy..
    Anyway, hope it's of help. :-)

Daniel
    Daniel,

I have been following this thread, and I must say that I also like what you did with the Xoops application. Your site looks great. Do you know if Xoops integrates with the new Invision board (IPB 2.0)?

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Thank you Steve, i'm glad you like it

There actually is a IPB mod for xoops and i think there is the IPB 2 version also, but according to this it may no longer be free. It was free before, but now IPB is charging bbpixel (the maker of this module) for the distribution.

IPB is commercial module so it is expected that it will either be un-free or have some other licencing issues and that's why i don't really recommend it.
    Another reason i don't recommend is because i am a freedom software "zealot".

However, there is a PHPBB mod and even better there is a new NEWBB 2 forum module which is xoops native that now has many great features and seamless integration (it's the official XOOPS forum). I highly suggest that you try it as it's unlike anything you probably seen before. You can see it at my site (libervis).

Whatever your choices are here is where you can download your XOOPS forum:

from XOOPS.org (IPB 1.13, newbbex 1.0, PHPBB 1.x)
    IPB and PHPBB from bbpixel (among downloads on this page)

NEWBB 2 RC1 (recommended) (from dev.xoops.org) - this one is XOOPs native, very worth a try

Cheers
    Daniel

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TYPO3 as CMS for community

Hi
    Now I work on large project:
    programmers community portal with 5+ sites, full featured forum, knowlegbase (code-base), many editors of content.
    It will be something like http://www.sitepoint.com/ (but more for programmers)

I will use
    1)TYPO3 (www.typo3.org) for content management
    2)vBulletin.com for forums (just like this forum, $85 licence)
    3)phpAdsNew (http://phpadsnew.com/two/) for banner management (free)
    4)may be free Mnogosearch search engine (http://mnogosearch.com/)

I will use VPS hosting account ($50/month)

I want to explane my choise:

TYPO3 is "ready to run" solution for standart corporate site with flexible design (3-5 templates for pages), popups, a lot of pages/content_bloks, with news, search and so on.
    Registration, forums and other comunity features are not ready to run, anyone must spend 10+ hours to make them work.
    TYPO3 by nature is corporate site (not community portal).
    TYPO3 builtin forum and CHC-forum extension is poor in features, so I must integrate some other forum to TYPO3.

I also consider free GPL www.fudforum.org, but I have good budget and can pay $85 for vBulletin.com

As for banner management:TYPO3 has a number of good banner extensions, but phpAdsNew is better for large project.

As for search: TYPO3 has good lexical search, but if I will need to search on some other sites (may be on 10-20 sites) Mnogosearch is the best solution

---
    Valery Romanchev
    freelance web-developer
    Moscow, Russia
    romanchev(at)list(point)ru
    Last edited by vrom; Oct 11, 2004 at 00:01.

SitePoint Enthusiast HeshamAmiri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if it has not been mentioned yet I would suggest Xaraya http://www.xaraya.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy with Mambo :)

Just wanted to say that after using Mambo for a while, I have been VERY happy with it and I definitely recommend it!

The administration interface is very easy to use and it has TONS of customization options (especially with he new version 4.5.1a).

I am currently switching from a static-page to a dynamic site (not finished yet) and so far, I have been able to make it look exactly the same, including the url path names to pages (I did need to use the SEF Advance component and some simple tweaking of a PHP file to get the URL pathnames identical to my old site).

I love that there are some many components (plug-ins) available for it and their forums at mamboserver.com have tons of info (I am a total newbie and I was able to do what I wanted with mambo).

There is also a Community Builder component that is very helpful for building an online community.

I highly recommend Mambo.
    Visit our Kids' Online Community at www.pers.com
    Free games, songs, and educational content.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeshamAmiri
    if it has not been mentioned yet I would suggest Xaraya http://www.xaraya.com
    I just took a glance over Xaraya's site and it looks awesome and the CMS they are developing seems to be great too, but as i've read it's one of the post-nuke clones taking it's direction. The other postnuke clone is XOOPS which is also modular, but taking a strictly community building portal system development direction which i needed.

I can't see any forums in Xaraya and to tell the truth it seems a bit complicated no matter that they say it's easy. I think it's a XOOPS "counterpart" but on a different playground, more content oriented sites, while XOOPS is for community oriented portals.

Both seem to be great in their playgrounds, but for a community oriented CMS (which we were looking for in this thread), XOOPS still wins (in my eyes at least)

Thanks
    Daniel

SitePoint Enthusiast HeshamAmiri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I agree, getting into Xaraya is not easy, but once you get a hang of things the limits are endless. BTW, there is a forum system with xaraya, XarBB if remember the name correctly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it seems i just missed it. I found it now and it looks like another phpbb nuke or clone which doesn't makes it necesserily a bad thing.

I however somehow better like the features of NEWBB2 from xoops as it now has much more features and is looking good (will be even better as it's only in RC 2 as of yet).

Daniel

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at subdreamer and actually like the software. I don't like that they charge you more for the support contract than for the software itself. Especially as you have to buy a support contract from day one if you want the pluggins and skins. That looks a little greedy to me. No, thanks.

Christoph
    The-USA dot net - PR4 Web Directory

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My problem with Mambo is that you can not adjust the modules with ease. How do you 'Mambers' customize the way content is presented?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    althoug i use xoops, because my needs of a cms arent very much, i think the best is typo3 and after it mambo....

the problem is that typo needs quite a time for the learning curve, kind of complicated u_u

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can u give some more info

Nice thread, lots of info about diff CMS.

It looked like all norrowed down to xoops and mambo. Can u provide info about xaraya and typo3.

Typo3 seems to be very powerful.

I want to start a site where forums play an important role. Can u tell me which forum is best and which forum is used by the above CMS.

I dont want a loosely coupled CMS. vbulletin is really good but it isnt opensource.

Can anybody sum up and tell me which CMS uses which forum and which one is best.

I would like some rss capability too. How good is invision board. plz help me.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was very impressed with Mambo. I played with it for the last 2 days and once you get a handle on how it works it looks really nice. 2 problems let me step away from it. I was using 3 different tools to present google Adsense ads and in 50% of all cases the ads were just blank. I tried different locations and everything I could find - on most content sites the ads just stayed blank. The browser did not show a script error but I assume the way how the pages are build that it did not execute the adsense code properly. There is also a fee-based Adsense module available. I have not purchased it as I was not sure if I really will use Mambo. My second problem was moving modules to different locations. It does not seem as easy and seamless as with other CMS systems (or whatever is considered a CMS).

So, I am back researching for now.

Christoph
    The-USA dot net - PR4 Web Directory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niceguymmk
    Nice thread, lots of info about diff CMS.

It looked like all norrowed down to xoops and mambo. Can u provide info about xaraya and typo3.

Typo3 seems to be very powerful.

I want to start a site where forums play an important role. Can u tell me which forum is best and which forum is used by the above CMS.

I dont want a loosely coupled CMS. vbulletin is really good but it isnt opensource.

Can anybody sum up and tell me which CMS uses which forum and which one is best.

I would like some rss capability too. How good is invision board. plz help me.
    invision board is very good, has so many features in it just like vbulletin, but like vbulletin it isnt opensource, its commercial

i think the best opensource forum out there is phpBB doubtless

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoph
    I was very impressed with Mambo. I played with it for the last 2 days and once you get a handle on how it works it looks really nice. 2 problems let me step away from it. I was using 3 different tools to present google Adsense ads and in 50% of all cases the ads were just blank. I tried different locations and everything I could find - on most content sites the ads just stayed blank. The browser did not show a script error but I assume the way how the pages are build that it did not execute the adsense code properly. There is also a fee-based Adsense module available. I have not purchased it as I was not sure if I really will use Mambo. My second problem was moving modules to different locations. It does not seem as easy and seamless as with other CMS systems (or whatever is considered a CMS).

So, I am back researching for now.

Christoph

That are some good points, thank u.

even i read that , u cant play around with modules at ease. Does xoops has a phpBB forum module/integration. I am looking for some CMS with a powerful forum.

Typo3 seems to be very powerful but i think customization and learning it takes a lot of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There actually is a phpbb module for XOOPS at bbpixel.com. Here is the full link to it: X-PHPBB 1.22 which is a port of PHPBB 2.0.9 to XOOPS. There is also another one available at bbpixel and also an IP board port, but i think this one is the best.

However, i still recommend that you first give XOOPS native NEWBB 2 a try. It is now in pre-final version (final is actually already there just waiting to be released) which has some very nice features and can definitely compare to PHPBB and has an advantage of being seamlesly integrated with xoops without any sideeffects that *might* occur with phpbb port.

Taking this into consideration, i think XOOPS really is probably the best option for community oriented sites as it has all the ingredients. Some things like blog module may lack a bit, but it is coming to it as well. Besides that it has a great articles module (wf-sections, AMS, news etc.), very good modules for links, downloads (wf-downloads), FAQ (smart-faq) etc.

You can look at my site for some examples (sig).

The best thing about xoops is that it is highly modular. All the mentioned modules may or may not be included in standard xoops releases, but if they are or aren't isn't important at all as you can simply take whatever module is available and easily install it on site. The whole system is therefore actually just a light core + all the modules you choose. It's greatest power is that modularity. XOOPS also stands for eXtendable Object Oriented Portal System.

Thanks and good luck
    Daniel

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi,

Can anyone compare phpwebsite with mambo and xoops. There is no discussion on it. How good is it?

I want to know if phpwebsite is as good as mambo and xoops.