0 Thread(s)
    Personally i like Typo3

http://typo3.org/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EGO7 has a slick offering if you are willing to go for their complete Flash CMS.

www.ego7.net gives you a pretty good idea how the community applications work in that environment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This does not use phpbb but it does most of what you are asking for: http://phpx.org

There is Also mamboserver.com.

http://phpbbpassport.com is another cool phpbb project

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply, Zoo. Yep, never really thought of that. Cheers.

Interesting, will keep an eye on wordpress as well.
    signature goes here..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb eZ Publish will do everything you are asking PLUS!!

eZ Publish has everything you asking for already built into it. You will not have to integrate other products into so your look and feel will be consistant throught.

Plus eZ Publish has an eCommerce built into it as well. You did not mention eCommerce, but I have not found very many solutions that integrate both Community building with eCommerce.

eZ Publish has been downloaded over One Million Times. They have a great section of web sites that are using thier software.

The Link is...

http://ez.no/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried Typo3 yet. I have not been into it much and not sure about the forum intergration but it has great features and it is german!

Cheers,
    Shalin
    Help Desk Software - Helpdesk Pilot
    Flash Screensaver - Screenswift for Windows
    Online Polls - Tezaa.com
    Address Book Software - Addza for Windows

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for recommendationd guys!

I know about both eZ and Typo3 since i researched a bit about them before. The problem with eZ (which does looks excellent) is that it has a commercial side to it and using the open source version would be like using a lite version of the more functionaly commercial version. Since the community i am starting is strongly about open source/free software and it's advocacy, using semi-commercial products seems like a bad idea. And also, the forums are not what i want. I want bells and whistles and i bleieve my users would like that too. eZ forum's appereance is not what i want.

As for Typo3, it seems to be a great CMS fully packed with features, actualy, it seems to be the most feature packed CMS i know, but it's hardware requirements are just too high as i heard which can seriously endanger the speed and stability in some cases. Also, the fact of it being soo 'overloaded' with features may actualy prove bad since it may have many features i don't really need that would be dragged through the system lessering it's functionality. Typo3 strives to be a complete CMS for everything, but i believe it is still better to use a CMS that is more focused, in this case, to community building.

I am already using XOOPS developing my site on it, it is object oriented, completely modularized, custumizeable and also easy to use. It is also completely community portal oriented. It stands for eXtended Object Oriented Portal System.

If you'd check on my developmetn, go to www.libervis.com - 'construction work' is opened to public

Daniel

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a fan of eZpublish
    http://ez.no/community

It is very easy to set up, and offers quite a lot, with easy customisation.

Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone with eZpublish want to comment on the performance/speed of the system? I've heard that can be an issue with that particular application.

I'm a fan of Mambo myself. It's so easy to use, even an idiot like me was able to create addons for it after only a short time with the system. (I didn't know what PHP was in December.) I haven't seen an easier installation, and installation of addons is one-click. Good community too.

-Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Integrating pretty much means linking the user sessions of the phpBB and the user sessions of the CMS, nothing more.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run eZpublish on a shared server on a budget hosting plan and it has caused no problems so far.
    I get about 30000 uniques per month and 100000 impressions, and have had no problems.

The site in my sig uses it.
    Check out page loading speed yourself (eZpublish caches most things that are commonly used, so after the page has been rendered once, it all works quite quickly).

Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello!

I ran into some rather frustrating problems in xoops with updating modules. The problem is odd and i am investigating it on their forums, but since i can't let something like that happens when my site would have hunderds and even thousands of members i started to search for other options again.

What i was originaly searching for opening this thread is so called communityware actualy. I was searching for a portal system that poweres exclusively COMMUNITY portals. However, many of the systems you recommended were not anyhow community oriented systems, like mambo, Typo3 etc. Those are CMS (content management systems) meant for managing content sites and not community sites.
    Therefore, i may open another thread on best community-wares including and mixtures of cms and communityware.
    As i realized, all nukes are blends of community-ware and CMS and to my opinion, XOOPS fork seems to be the best. But, as i heard here and somewhere else, their code isn't the cleanses, and while it's very easy to use it, it may not be the most stable system around. I obviously had to be the victim of that realization, thankfully, before my portal opened up it's doors.

So, i am searching for best community-ware and communityware-cms mixtures.
    Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know much about Typo3, but I know Mambo is quite capable of running a community site, for example, opensourcecms.com recently switched from php-nuke to Mambo to power their site. I'm sure the same must be true for other systems that you may label as being more content oriented than community oriented. The truth is, content is content, whether it's forum posts or news stories, or anything inbetween.

Good luck in your further searches.

-Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you when you say content is content, and every site needs content to survive be it community content or one-side published content in form of support documentation faq etc.. things that corporate websites and business usualy publish to their customers.

I saw opensourcecms.com when it went to mambo and it looks really fine. I am aware of the mambo's popularity and about it being a really great and quality cms.

However, there actualy is one major difference between content management in CMS and content management in community-ware portal systems and that are forums. Mambo does not have a forum integrated and there are some 'hacks' or modules that add forum support, but as i heard it doesn't works very well often.

As well as in mambo's case is in the case of practicaly all other CMS's that are not quite community oriented. And i don't think it's a very good idea to force CMS that isn't meant for community's to work as a community tool.

Nukes are a mixture of CMS and community oriented portal system and that may just be the solution for many of us community building webmasters hence the popularity of those systems. I am simply searching for the best amongst them. I know about the top ones, but there are others that are less known such as CPG-Nuke that do the same thing and may actualy be better than any previous nuke-alike system. However, i heard that mixing CMS and community-ware is not always a good thing and that is why many nukes can be un-stable, un-complete in some manners and their 'universe' is so samn chaotic giving people like me a headache when you need to choose one of them.

Thanks for wishing me luck, and thank you guys for your recommendations.. we as a community are learning from one another all the time, that's the greatest spirit of internet..cooperation and sharing..That's how it should be!

Thank you!
    Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xeliber,

First let me say, I definitely understand your standpoint. There is no one-size-fits-all CMS (whether you "c" stands for community or content!).

But I wanted to clarify something you said regarding Mambo and forums:

Mambo has two fully integrated forum components, Simpleboard (which Opensourcecms.com is using) and Loudmouth. PhpBB is available as an integrated Mambo component, though it changes some of the Mambo user tables, so it isn't necessarily for the faint-at-heart. Also Simple Machines Forum is being integrated, and I understand that is a more full-featured than the first two I mentioned.

There has, of course, been quite a bit of interest in integrating Invision Power Board an vBulletin, though their are licensing issues with both that are apparently holding things up.

Another thing to mention if you've never tried out Mambo, is that installing addons is very easy, you just point the installer to the zip file, and it installs itself.

I had started to look at all the systems you've named when I found Mambo and stopped there. Basically, it had what I was looking for -- I could just make a regular html design and turn it into a Mambo template by adding a few bits of code. Before settle on Mambo I had played with Plone quite a bit, and while it is clearly powerful, it is far from simple, and not really compatible with a shared-hosting evironment.

Whatever system you choose, I honestly do wish you luck with your site. I have a lot of fun building and running web sites and I always hope that everyone else is having fun too.

-Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Tony!

I actualy did give mambo a quick tryout and i really liked it's cool-looking menu interface and it also seemed pretty easy to use.
    I see what you mean about forum integrations. From that point of view it seems like mambo is growing into some kind of all-around portal system.

It's not that i don't like it's features, community or anything since it does have the whole network of friendly community sites. It's just i'd like a full phpbb or alike forum integration made without trouble and as you said, mambo is not quite there yet.

Everytime i read about mambo (from their site or other's reviews) they say it's a CMS with accent to content management and not community building. They even refer to the article about evaluating content management system. From that point of view it seems like they are adding forums as addon feature more than a core feature as it should be in a community portal system.
    But anyway, i am ready to try it out more thouroughly, i'll research about it working with phpbb and who knows, if i don't find anything better and i don't stay with xoops, i might just start dancing with my site to mambo.

This is actualy the second site i am building, the first is www.cosmicall.net, the online home site for Cosmicall, my electronic music band (actualy duo). It's made in NVU and is not powered by any CMS. So this is the first time i am going with CMS and the first time i am building a seriously 'big' portal community site. I like doing it and i'll like it even more once i happily set myself up with the right CMS, start designing the default theme, actualy start writing some content and managing the first site users.

Thank you!
    Daniel

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you need drupal

SitePoint Enthusiast NativeMind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at MX-System, which I confess I am a developer there.

I was looking for the same thing that you wanted... a CMS that had full phpBB integration. This is a tough thing to acomplish because most of the CMS's projects require modding phpBB - quite a pain. That was what turned me on to phpBB actually, back in 2002 I had a phpNuke site (my first ever site) and I wanted forums... well that phpBB2Nuke project had a solution, but then nuke had like security hole after security hole, and I decided that I couldn't wait for the nuke people to get their act together. The thing I discovered is MX-System.

MX-System does not modify any phpBB files, but rather includes the appropriate phpBB files as a pseudo-library. The CMS provides page building features and a set of modules that include album, web links, calendar, etc.

Here are a few of my sites that I have that run MX-system:
    http://www.gortbusters.org
    http://www.durismud.com
    http://www.onpointtactical.com

gortbusters and onpointtactical have a slightly modified layout engine that uses some CSS style to layout the columns. This will be rolled into the next major version of MX.

Enjoy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to thank those of you who recommended Mambo. I just started using it a day ago and absolutely love it. It is really easy to customize and very organised. I am a huge fan of Mambo now.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do any of these cms allow automatic linking within a multipage article? Say if the article is several pages long then next and previous links are genarated automatically for navigation.
    Any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I've used that before in php-nuke before, not sure if it was an add in though.

Wordpress which i use on various sites also supports it. Not sure about the rest, but i'd imagine many of the CMSes listed will...
    Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggd
    Do any of these cms allow automatic linking within a multipage article? Say if the article is several pages long then next and previous links are genarated automatically for navigation.
    Any ideas?
    Mambo supports pagination by using a special tag (called a mosbot) in the content item. You just put {mospagebreak} everywhere you want a page break and the table of contents is automatically generated (if you so desire).

-Tony

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think for phpbb, phpnuke would be a good choice for a CMS.
    iPodbank - Forum for iPod, music, tv and movie enthusiasts.
    Golf Rewind - If you enjoy the game of golf, check out my forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hola!

Thank you people for recommendations, but i think i am gonna stick with xoops afterall which showed that it's fit for the site i am developing more than other CMS's and the problem i had was resolved. It was obviously an issue of files being corrupted through an FTP transfer that caused the site to malfunction. Actualy, functionaly was nothing wrong, only updates to modules were not working properly, but now when i reuploaded and reinstalled the whole system it works fine.
    I should just be more careful about uploading files and replacing folders via FTP in the future and not overload the connection which can generate these coruptions in transfers obviously.

You can see the site at www.libervis.com. It is now in a final stages of development. I created forums and blogs category's and put the 7dana template that will be edited for visuals to be more unique. Everyone interested in open source is welcome to register and of course to give suggestions.

Thanks again!
    Daniel