SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I have an idea for a new service and would appreciate your comments on it. It would be a website updating service. I have done this locally for some poeple that know me and I thought it would be a good idea to do this for the other people businesses on the net that need their websites updated.

The target would be small and medium-sized businesses that do not have their own department to handle their website.

My competition would be web design firms which update the websites that they have designed for businesses. But, if I'm faster, easier and less expensive than web design firms I hope people will choose me. And, of course, some businesses might not be updating their website at all because their web design firm doesn't offer this service or they didn't think of them.

It might be somewhat hard marketing this, but perhaps I can visit some small business websites to see if they are outdated and e-mail them to offer my service if they are. Perhaps I could also do some offline advertising and perhaps I could partner with a web-design firm and have a "you refer me clients I refer you some" deal.

Anyhow, I'd love to know your thoughts on this! (long post )
    -Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One possible problem, and I know this from personal experiance, is that you'll be working with someone else's code.

A) It the author could probably make updates faster. B) You agree to do it for a certain price only to find out what a mess it is and that you'll be losing money.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "You agree to do it for a certain price only to find out what a mess it is and that you'll be losing money. "

Well, yeah, that could be a problem. I suppose I should load some of the business sites I visit in Dreamweaver and see how it looks.

Anyhow, I have the two most popular WYSIWYG editors (Dreamweaver and Frontpage) so that should eliminate some problems. If that doesn't work I could try Dreamweaver's clean-up HTML feature and if the HTML is still too messed up to work with I guess I'll just have to tell the client I can't do this.

In addition I am thinking about charging for every 1/4 hour...

"the author could probably make updates faster."

I am counting on the fact that the business can't update their own website, and I will also try to have some sort of guaranteed time (maybe 48 hrs. and a 24 hrs. "urgency" mode which costs a little more) that is probably faster than that of the firm who originally designed the site...

Any other comments?? I'd ove to hear your comments and suggestions on this! Thanks Wesmich for yours!
    -Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can certainly help you with this issue. If you are considering giving your clients 24 hours service i can handle the thing. Due to time difference i can work on the site when you are sleeping and that way the client will get the site completed in half of the time. The rate is also below market and negotiable.
    mail me directly at kashaziz@yahoo.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mayhave trouble convincing people to trust you.

If someone emailed me out of the blue to change my site for me I probably
    wouldn't be too agreeable.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mayhave trouble convincing people to trust you.
    That is true to some extent but marketing is the other name of making people think what you want them to think.

If someone emailed me out of the blue to change my site for me I probably wouldn't be too agreeable.
    yes true again, but if you convinced them properly describing the benefits of outsourcing their work load (less utilization of resources, less management headaches while maintaining full control on the process) they sure will listen to you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of your replies. I have thought about the trust issue. But, I think If set things up properly and carefully it should be ok. This will certainly be a chalenge but I think I can handle it...

kashaziz, I will let you know if I need your help in the future but it might be a while... I'll definately keep you in mind, though. Thanks for offering your services!

Thanks again for all the replies let me know. Think this service is a good idea or a bad idea? Think it could work?
    -Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anytime macromedia - your idea is excellent and it definetly will work out