User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy MSSQL & MySQL Compatibility

hi
    I want to know as to how to send data from MSSQL database & give it to a MySQL db? The situation is

One of our clients have MSSQL on their local intranet while their webserver is running MySQL on a Linux box. Now they can't change MSSQL to MySQL at the intranet since their dev team which develops & maintain their softwares doesn't know MySQL & the training & conversion of their software from MSSQL to MySQL would be just time & money consuming. Similarly, MySQL on the webserver can't be changed to MSSQL because of the pre-existing applications.

Now, their data from MSSQL databases is to be ported to MySQL database. Its not just data, which can be done through export/import, but also table structures which change regularly.

The question is how to go about that? How to port MSSQL tables along with their structure, to MySQL, without having to convert the structure manually.
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Create the (empty) MySQL tables that correspond to the MSSQL tables, manually.
    Export as comma delimited files the contents of each of the MSSQL tables.

Determine from the ERD which tables have no foreign keys, which have foreign key that is only form the first group of tables. Which have a foreign key from the previous two sets of tables, which have a foreign key from the previous three sets of tables and so on until there are none left.
    Cross your fingers.
    Import them one by one into the MySQL tables, in the order they appear in the above list of tables.
    Uncross your fingers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply but I've considered this already. It'll take too much time since there is a load of tables & their structure do change quite often, with more columns being added & some old ones removed, so the mysql tables will have to be changed accordingly & it'll be a daunting task to do it all manually.

I was thus asking for some way, through a tool etc which will enable to port the MSSQL tables to MySQL easily without any or much pain. Its the headache of changing the table structure only, the data can be imported into MySQL tables easily, no problem in that. I've got phpMyAdmin on it, so its a breeze. I wish that I can say that for changing the data structure too.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do a search for Database Design Studio - Professional. It should allow you to take your MSSQL database and reverse engineer it to a MySQL format. Might even help you move across the data.

Another utility might be TOAD for SQL Server by Quest Software. I think they just released a TOAD for MySQL as well. Check their site www.quest.com.

Finally, you can always make ODBC hooks and transfer the data that way.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips Wayne.
    I'll do a search for Database Design Studio.

I'm aware of TOAD for SQL Server(its a freeware) but it doesn't port data from SQL Server to MySQL or vice versa. Atleast I didn't see any option in there.
    Also I've seen TOAD for MySQL(preview). It doesn't have anything to import directly from SQL Server.

As for ODBC hooks, well, yes, data can be transfered that way but then, I need to transfer the table structure too. Data transfer is not a problem. I just export an SQL file from MSSQL & import it in the MySQL database, easy enough. The problem is transfering table structures.