SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: PHP vs ASP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking though the classifieds for computer jobs, you find just about all of the web programming ones require you know ASP, Java, or VB. Why is it that PHP is never used by major businesses? Is it because PHP is not a commercial product, and thus they won't use it? Why? I don't know ASP (but I have a class on it coming up soon...) but from what I have seen, PHP/MySQL seems like a better choice. Am I wrong? Is ASP better for large business applications? Or is it just that the Midwest (in the US) does not use PHP?
    Steve Caponetto - [profile] [e-mail]
    CreedFeed.com - feed your need for Creed!

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve PHP is relatively new compared to ASP, PERL or even ColdFusion. I think if you keep your eye out you will see a rise in the number of ads that will require PHP over the next year or two. Yes there is no big company behind PHP so a lot of the bigger companies simply feel it can't be a good product if Microsoft isn't using it, or Allaire isn't using it. The reason PERl is so popular is simply because it has been around so long. People will come around, I am sure this post will undoubtely lead to some debate, but that is my 2 cents.
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, a few local web sites have switched from Perl to PHP recently... University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee has installed a web email script (it uses PHP), and a few local sports teams also use PHP on their sites. This prompted me to look in the papers and ask the question.

I agree with you that it is new, and will take some time to come around... are there any professional jobs in other parts of the country or outside the country that require knowledge of PHP?
    Steve Caponetto - [profile] [e-mail]
    CreedFeed.com - feed your need for Creed!

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try going to http://www.dice.com or http://careers.yahoo.com or http://www.flipdog.com

And search on PHP, I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised at the number of companies requiring a knowledge of PHP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freddydoesphp
    Try going to http://www.dice.com or http://careers.yahoo.com or http://www.flipdog.com

And search on PHP, I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised at the number of companies requiring a knowledge of PHP

No, unfortunately, you won't!

I looked into this myself after discussing what language should be used in an upcoming class.

Between Dice and Monster, there are 8 jobs listed in the entire state of Michigan with the keyword PHP. All 8 had PHP as an added item, not the primary job description. Whereas, ASP yielded over 200. And from what I read through, all of them had ASP as the primary focus.

I have nothing against PHP and knowing my instructor, that's probably what he will go with. It won't help in finding a job, though.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't comparing the number of jobs that want ASP vs the number of jobs that want PHP, we already know what the answer to that is, I was merely stating that Steve might be pleasantly surprised at the number of jobs that want it. Not in comparison to anything. Besides MI is a pretty small state, and who would want to live there anyways

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think companies may prefer to use ASP over php because using ASP they can develop their web apps in components using VB or C++. This means that they can get developers to work on the data and business components and just use ASP scripting for the presentation layer.

Using this method they can reuse the data and business components for use with a non html based GUI. They also get the added advantage that the code is compiled so it runs faster than script and keeps the code from prying eyes.

I'm not that familiar with php but I don't think this process is possible with php.

I'm sure one of you will put in straight if I'm wrong on any of this.

Shane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actual Shane php script is also hidden from prying eyes. The reason I use php and not asp is becuase asp can only be used on mircosoft web servers. Sure they have ports to other operating systems but there COM (Mircosoft Component specification) support is not there reducing the effectiveness of asp. With the resent surge of the linux operating system I think there will be a big change in the number of job requiring php.
    http://www.hostinquiry.com
    Look up your host today!
    ----------------------------
    ~Dylan Schiedel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by HumanClay
    Also, a few local web sites have switched from Perl to PHP recently... University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee has installed a web email script (it uses PHP), and a few local sports teams also use PHP on their sites. This prompted me to look in the papers and ask the question.

According to a Netcraft survey, as of January 2001 PHP has officially passed the 5 MILLION website mark, and is
    growing at a 15% MONTHLY clip, which (I quote) is faster than the rate of growth of the Internet itself......

(from March Linux Magazine)

Obviously, this would tend to prove that there is a trend at work here, and as this snowball effect is taking place, this will
    mean that more and more people will contribute to the code base of what's out there, and for those who are taking the
    time to invest in learning it now, probably will be a very rewarding effort as more web developers need experienced
    coders in their teams.

As we are finally seeing the appearance of a few IDE kits for PHP, this will also mean that any newbie like myself could
    probably now use it with their eyes closed, this might be one reason ASP is so popular as it is supposedly incredibly
    easy to script with GUI support.

My 0.02
    stay groovy !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a huge number of companies out there which are only interested in Microsoft products simply because they don't realise that there's a decent alternative. Open source software is (for some bizzare reason) often seen as buggy, unreliable and the 'cheap option' by people who simply don't understand the concepts behind it. Unfortunately more often than not these are the people that make the decisions over what technologies to use

PHP has fully functional COM support should you want it to interact with other programs on a windows platform. Also, being open source means you can easily code new components and add ons for the language (or even alter what's there) should you need to.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by frankie54

According to a Netcraft survey, as of January 2001 PHP has officially passed the 5 MILLION website mark, and is
    growing at a 15% MONTHLY clip, which (I quote) is faster than the rate of growth of the Internet itself......

(from March Linux Magazine)
    There are lies, damned lies and statistics! Here is a quote directly from the Netcraft site:

http://www.netcraft.com/survey/index-200101.html
    Also making notable progress is the scripting language PHP. Earlier this month Zend announced the availability of the first commercial products to support use of PHP, including significant performance improvements through script caching. The PHP module is compiled into the Apache server on over 5 million web sites, or approaching 40% of all Apache sites. Although PHP will only be in use on a fraction of these sites currently [my emphasis], it is regarded as easier to program than perl or jsp, and has created a broad developer community in a relatively short space of time. PHP, together with MySQL and Apache, has become the de facto way of developing web applications in the Linux environment, in a similar way to the IIS/ASP/SQL-Server combination in the Microsoft world.
    It all depends on how you look at the market. Are we talking about ecommerce sites of Fortune 500s? The top 10% sites by traffic? Dot coms by $ revenue? If you start looking at it in these ways, I don't think those PHP stats are relevent.

I personally can see that PHP will be the winner in the small scale web site segment where the web site stands alone within the enterprise (ie, not integrated to other systems).