SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seldom turn my computer as well as my monitor off in the last 2 years. It seems they are both ok.
    Addto! e-commerce and Internet Marketing Directory
    Collects and refers hundreds of ecommerce, internet marketing, and website development solutions and advice to small business owners.
    You can access various domain registration info. too

buried in the database shell (Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I leave my home computer on 24/7 for the past 3 years or so and I haven't had anything fail yet.

A downside is that your fans, hard drives, and any other moving parts will eventually fail. The wear-and-tear on the bearings of a drive rotating at 5400, 7400, etc. RPM must be crazy all day... however ever notice how your light bulbs usually always fail when you turn it on? I like to think that if my hard drive would go it would be when I turn it on, so I always leave it running, nor do I spin it down.

I have two APC Back-Ups Pro 500's keeping my computers / routers / etc. up and running all the time. It's neat to hear them beep when the power goes out! I call it the 'mating call of the UPS' because they're calling out to each other it seems.

At work occationally we'd have the power go out (we all have APC 420s) and all of the ups's would start chirping. That's where I got the idea of the mating call because you'd hear one in a cube make a noise then the one next to it would, etc. like they're talking.

hmm

time for bed I think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freakysid
    If you're working from home and you have a large CRT monitor, using power save (or turning it off when idle) saves quite a bit of electricity, saves $, and reduces heat (its been a hot summer here in Sydney).
    I prefer mine on while I'm in, some country's dont get hot weather y'know

Has been bloody freezing in the UK the last couple of weeks, loadsa snow
    Current Projects:
    Brighton Rockz - The only Albion Fanzine

Always Skint - THE forums for BHAFC fans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Computer on all the time and powersaver set to 20 minutes. Also when I leave the computer for extended periods like overnight I turn of the monitor. Also shut down cable internet access when leaving just in case somebody can get past zonealarm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have mine set to automaticaly shutdown when you press more than 5 keys at once, keeps it nice and quiet when you fall asleep on the keyboard I am still working on the automatic duvet putter oner!