User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard people say that leaving your computer on continuously is better than turning it off everyday. On the other hand, screensavers don't really save your screen and I don't want a messed up monitor. Any opinions or thoughts on this?

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I leave my computer on during the day, and turn it off before I go to bed. When it's on during the day, and I'm not around, I've set the monitor to go into powersave mode.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I go leave my desk, and I know I will be more than 5 minutes, I just turn my monitor off.

SitePoint Addict michaelwheaton's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always turn mine off even if I'm leaving just for half an hour. If I'll only be a few minutes I turn off the monitor and put it into standby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leave computer on...Turn the monitor off...
    ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my computer set to put the monitor in Standy after 15 minutes of now use and the harddrives and CPU go into power save mode after 30 minutes. Unless I am leaving the house for more than 24 hours, I don't turn it off.

This way it only takes a second or so to come back to life. I have it set to ignore the keyboard in standby (in case the cats step on it) and it responds to the mouse and ICQ to come out of standy.

I don't know why ICQ wakes it up but it gives me a visual of an incoming message if my speakers are off.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're working from home and you have a large CRT monitor, using power save (or turning it off when idle) saves quite a bit of electricity, saves $, and reduces heat (its been a hot summer here in Sydney).

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have mine on during the day and it goes off when I go to bed.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only turn mine off when it crashes

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies everyone I've actually heard that turning the computer off over a long period of time can actually be worse for it than leaving it on continuously. Wasn't sure if there were any truth in that, so that's why I asked.

Personally my computer stays on almost all the time. The monitor and keyboard go into standby mode after about 30 minutes. I've taught my cat not to step on the keys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard both sides to this issue. Me, I do both. If I have just restarted and my computer is running fine when I'm about to go to bed, I will usually leave it on and turn the monitor off. If it's lagging and hasn't been restarted for a while, I'll turn it off. I always turn the sound down and monitor off, regardless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever I go outside I turn off my computer. I don't think it'sbeneficial to your computer if you leave him on all day. If you're always connected to the internet (perm. connection) it causes more risk of being attacked by a hacker. There are some other advantages in shutting down the computer. But I won't go here and shoot them off. Disadvantage would be time loss because of restarting.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sparkie
    Thanks for the replies everyone I've actually heard that turning the computer off over a long period of time can actually be worse for it than leaving it on continuously. Wasn't sure if there were any truth in that, so that's why I asked.

It's better to leave a PC running 24/7.

Why? Well, for the simple reason that when you start the PC, all parts experience stress from heat. After this, all components are adapted to the changed temperature. No further problems.

However, once you shut down the PC and turn it off, the components cool down, which makes them shrink again (when the temperature is higher, they expand).
    This heat-stress leads after some time to the components starting to malfunction.

Tip: don't forget to use a UPS if you leave your PC on 24/7, for if the power fails, there can be a lot more to worry about than just some heat-stress

Personally my computer stays on almost all the time. The monitor and keyboard go into standby mode after about 30 minutes. I've taught my cat not to step on the keys!

I leave my main-computer on 24/7 during weekends, examination weeks (any difference? ) and vacations. The proxy-server is on 24/7/52, except during maintenance
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turn it on all the time.

I believe in a story that there is souls on the computers. By turning them off, you are not letting it breath!

Turn them on all the time so they can breath

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm dreaming up my next PC configeration at the moment, and I was looking around at Socket A motherboards on the web today, and reading up on overclocking sorcery. The bottom line is this. CPUs generate heat and don't like to be hot! So I guess when you really don't need the PC on - turn it off.

I run a 486 (DX I think) as a proxy server at home, and, hmm I don't know how old it is, but a few months ago the fan packed it in. Motherboard and CPU were fine - but the HDD got smoked. Thing was, it had been running since last reboot for - oh who knows how long (1 week) - and was probably stewing with the fan ceased up for 1-8 hours before I noticed the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe this should have been a poll but I personally leave my computer on unless it needs to be restarted.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's a UPS?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Nicky
    What's a UPS?
    I was going to ask this, too... enlighten us, Elledan.

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A UPS is an uninterruptible power supply.
    Last edited by Patrick; Mar 2, 2001 at 19:26.

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leaving your computer on all the time takes up the same amount of electricity as leaving a lightbulb on all the time. It isn't really all that bad, of course it isn't recommend that you never turn it off or restart it.

I leave my server on all the time and turn off the computer I use for everything else. Mainly because dumb Windows ME has errors and screws the computer over (that's why I'm reformatting it and putting 98 SE back on).
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com

A home in the hills where the grass grows green an
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I leave my server on 24/7 of course. My desktop only gets restarted when ME messes up all of my icons or has memory leaks. (Daily ;P). My 15,000 rpm drives like to stay on all the time, they take a long time to spool up and down, plus Segate recommends to leave them running at full speed. I can't go into sleep mode because of that either becuase the drives can't go into low power mode. (they are wicked fast though, especially when copying files from one drive to the other.)
    Think beyond what is common...
    www.jaggedknife.com
    www.fusion-in.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

As Elledan mentioned when turning on your parts are stressed by heat, Heat makes things expand and then when they cool down the parts shrink again, after a while of expanding and shrinking the parts can for very small cracks that can end up wrecking the entire circutry. Although it is recommended to only leave your systems on providing they are in a cool or climate controlled environment as the heat can also destroy your system.

Personnaly I leave my system on unless it is a hot night and turn my monitor off. I NEVER put my hard drive to sleep as I've seen it crash some hard drives.

A UPS is a great idea as it will stop your computer getting "Fried" my lightning and or damaged by power black outs/brown outs.

But above all BACK UP YOUR DATA! because no matter what precausions you take, your hardware can fail!

Well thats my two cents worth
    .NET Code Monkey

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Nicky
    What's a UPS?
    You mean you don't know what a UPS is?!

UPS = Uninterruptable Power Supply

basically, it's an accu which provides your PC with electricity if the central powergrid fails (due to lightning or something else which causes it to fail). Most UPS's can only provide a PC with electricity for about 7-15 minutes, so the PC is automatically powered down if the UPS goes on. This way, all data can be saved and programs can be closed normally.

Nearly all companies that use a lot of computers have multiple UPS's. Especially when the PC's are used for critical data, a UPS is more than just necessary.
    Last edited by Elledan; Mar 3, 2001 at 03:56.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although the screen savers do not do anything for screens nowadays, the screens don't need them. Your monitor should be able to remain on 24/7 for at least a couple of years with no problems.

On the other hand, I have my computer set to Suspend to Ram after a while and the monitor and hard drive to shut down after amounts of time also.

Some people say it is better to leave the computer it on so it doesn't strain the moving parts by changing temperature suddenly and frequently.

This only applies to constantly moving parts: the hard disk and case/cpu fans. My hard disk is under warranty and if it dies then I'll probably just replace it anyway. Fans are cheap.

I find it is much more convenient to place the computer into suspend, regardless of fans and harddrives, because it saves power and it gets QUIET.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my computers are always on..even the monitors.

It takes too long too boot up (ok..about 30 seconds or a minute), but I'd rather just not wait for it to do that