SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.atomicthunder.com

I just finished redesigning every thing but the first page on this web site. I kept the fist page the same because every one on the staff is in love with it. What do you think? Feel free to tell me anything you wish. I donít get offended.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Al

You were in, what?, Two months ago.

I do not remember what the issues were then. So, one of two things have happened. Either you have changed whatever was mentioned or I am seeing it your way.

The site is great.

I looked at the code on a random page in the site and found absolutely nothing wrong.

peace

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great memoryÖ I am glad you like it. Do you think I should keep the first page the same, or use the rest of the siteís layout?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Al,

I want to get started right off the bat by saying that this is an amazingly creative site that uses many interesting objects (i.e the stereo speakers) to encompass things (i.e the links).

I do have a few minor issues, most of which are only personal matters. For example, I do not like frames. Yours seem to work well, however. Even so, I like to be able to see all text at once, and to not have a scroll within a scroll.

The CarAudioClub network logo rocks. I don't know if you did it, but if you did, kudos.

The copyright is in a perfect spot right under the car, which brings me to my next conclusion. I really think that the car could be in a better place, although I'm at a loss for advice as to 'where'.

The navigation bar is excellent, as is the 'prepare to get shocked' heading. Excellent links.

Colors are perfect. Definitely a modern site.

Overall, this site is certainly one of the best one's i've seen posted here.

Keep up the good work!
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, as an addendum to my last post, I would suggest something special for the "ContactUs" page. For example, a Form for e-mail with a select box for what someone wants to do, etc. It can be a little bit of work, but will add a whole new dimension to your site.

To check out examples of some other stuff that I do with my site, you can head to http://www.interfall.com/Franklin/contact.asp. Also check the "Question / Comment" links at the bottom of the pages.

If you want some help with the code, I'll be glad to provide it.

Hope this helped!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general I don't really approve of websites with black backgrounds because in wed design class we were told it's a bad thing, but I do like this one. The black, white, and touches of orange and grey worked well. I can't comment on the content because I don't know anything about car audio :-) The only bug that I did notice was that you apparently have a style sheet that makes the background color of the scrollbar black on some pages but not on all of them (I'm using IE 5.5). I liked the scrollbars without the style sheet.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by zoordaan
    In general I don't really approve of websites with black backgrounds because in wed design class we were told it's a bad thing,
    I think of web design as a form of art. There are NO rules in art. You do what you feel. That is why I think design school is bs when it comes to the actual "design" part. Some people just have it, some don't. I am 100% self thought. I took a class in 3D Studio MAX last year, and I ended up teaching the class I never tried taking a design class again. And yes, the CarAudioClub logo is designed by me.

Thanks for the comments! Keep them coming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zoordaan, you've got to be kidding me. You don't know why you dislike black backgrounds, but only know you do because of a class? Haha! You've got to be kidding me. Break the rules a little bit. Black backgrounds work very well with a lot of sites. May I encourage you to not stick to rules given to you in a class, and when you break these rules out of creative inspiration you will find you do your best work.

(wow, that sounds like it came out of the Bible or something)

Hope this helped,
    Goof

P.S. Oh yeah, forgot to give my comments on the site. I would probably recommend changing the front page to look a little bit more like the design of the other pages, but it doesn't have to look the same. For the best example of this, go to Webmonkey and take a look at their homepage versus any other page on the site. They use a lot of black for the main page, but use a lot of white for the other pages. Their main page also has a bit more zip than the rest of the site. Maybe you want to do that in this case. The site is down now, so I can't reference what you currently have, so I'll try to go by memory (be prepared, this could be scarry). Maybe you want to focus around that big car graphic for the frontpage. Put your main slogans and everything around the car and maybe put some general info about the company along with the links to the other parts of the site. I've done that a few times and it seems to work fairly well, especially on designs that aren't bursting at the seams with content (which I thought yours was kinda like that, but maybe not). Anyway, I hope this information helps you out.
    Nathan Rutman
    A slightly offbeat creative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

A comment on black (dark) bg's. I do not know how to use them correctly. The bg can be very important in conveying the message.

There is this site and one or two others currently being reviewed that are really well designed and use black or dark bgs really well.

So for me, it is not that I do not like them but rather that I cannot use it correctly.

Thanks for the opening to express this.

peace

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone else feel I should change the first page and make it look like the rest of the site?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One must never fault something because they don't understand, ed.

It's all about contrast. If two things aren't exactly alike, make them drastically different. For example, blue and orange. Blue is a 'cool' color, while orange is a 'hot' color. They work with each other. Black, when combined with either a light shade of black or other contrasting colors, can be made into a very handsome-looking site (and has been many times).

Perhaps you understand a little better now? If not, I'm a click away...

I should change my title to "ASP / Design Guru".

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the graphics and sleekness of your site. Really Cool!

There is not much I can come up with in the way of suggestions to improve the site but here are a couple of observations.

1. I am female and know very little about car audio. Maybe you could have a key that tells customers what the Specifications mean in plain English. Or some other way to inform people about the differences between the products. How would I decide what to purchase if I knew nothing about the subject? Can you answer that on your site?

2. The home page is broken up into 2 sections. (Frames?) I personally don't care for this too much.

Great Site! Cool Design!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Alexa
    1. I am female and know very little about car audio. Maybe you could have a key that tells customers what the Specifications mean in plain English. Or some other way to inform people about the differences between the products. How would I decide what to purchase if I knew nothing about the subject? Can you answer that on your site?
    Yes! Youíre totally right! I am meeting with the staff in a few days and I should have A LOT more info on our products very soon. That includes specs in English

Anyone else want to comment? I need more comments people!

Thanks
    Last edited by Mousavi; Mar 9, 2001 at 02:31.