User Tag List

Thread: Ms Sql

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ms Sql

Hi.

I don't have a lot of money (well.. any money) to spend. I want to design a script with Visual Studio.Net that will use either Access or MS SQL as a backend. I have the access part figured out, but I am trying to figure out how I could write a script for MSSQL. I don't have $500.00 to go out and by the development edition of SQL Server. I have Access 2002 though and I can create SQL projects with it. I had a greate free program years ago that I can't remember the name of that let me manage SQL databases on my computer that was running IIS. I think it was a SQL Front End or something. I could create databases, drop them etc... Does anyone know of a program like this? This isn't too big of deal because I can do all that stuff (creating/deleting/updating) via code. I can write a script to do that, but I'm wondering if I can test out the SQL database on my computer, without having to buy anything. I heard of MSDE but what is the difference from MSDE and SQL Developer Edition... How do I find out if I have MSDE installed on my computer, and if I don't can I get it from Microsoft.com?

I will be writting this script on a computer that wont even have access to the internet so everything I need to develop and test the SQL database will need to be running on that computer. Please tell me I don't have to go out and spend $500.

Thanks!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MSDE comes with Visual Studio and is essentially a stripped down version of SQL Server. It unfortunately does not come with any GUI based management tools like MSSQL does. If you find something to do it with though, I'd be interested in taking a look at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bvarvel
    MSDE comes with Visual Studio and is essentially a stripped down version of SQL Server. It unfortunately does not come with any GUI based management tools like MSSQL does. If you find something to do it with though, I'd be interested in taking a look at it.
    Hmm. Well I'm confused on how I should be going about this then. I don't have the full Visual Studio. I just have Visual Basic.Net so I'm hoping it comes with the version I have. I can create tables etc, via code but I need a database name, username and password of a databse to write the tables to.. How can I create a database without having a SQL Manager??

I'm going to do some searching I know there is one out there because I've used it before. I just have no idea what the name of it was. I'll post the link here when I find the program. I'm sure I can find it again within a few minuets. The one I was using was a general sql manager it could handle any sql database, mysql mssql and pgsql (those are the only ones I know of)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bvarvel
    The first one on that list dosen't work for me because I don't own C#. It wont load. The one I used before was written in Visual Basic 6.0 but it was really good. For the life of me I can't locate that program anymore. I even tried looking for MYSQL Managers because I think I originally found the software from a ad on www.mysql.com. At the time I was looking for a good GUI for MySQL. I found a ton of managers for MS SQL some are really good, but the cheepest one I found was $70.00

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found it http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr/DownLoad2k.shtm. It's got almost (99%) everything Enterprise Manager has, and it's FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Download the source files, compile them and your off.
    Last edited by Goth; Jun 24, 2004 at 22:51.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    C# is FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

And usually there is a compiled version on codeproject for download.

WWB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99
    C# is FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

And usually there is a compiled version on codeproject for download.

WWB
    What does c sharp have to do with mssql manager? you'll have to forgive me i'm slow. Anyway, there is a compilied version of this program too, which comes with an installation program, but that just takes all the fun out of it dosen't it? Pluss I'm nosey and I like going through the source code.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can download the trial version of MSSQL server and install just Enterprise manager, and use it to manage your MSDE database. It doesn't expire.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goth
    What does c sharp have to do with mssql manager? you'll have to forgive me i'm slow. Anyway, there is a compilied version of this program too, which comes with an installation program, but that just takes all the fun out of it dosen't it? Pluss I'm nosey and I like going through the source code.
    Uhm, you mentioned something about not having C# to use a certain SQL server manager. A free C# IDE is avaliable at www.sharpdevelop.com .

WWB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Johansson
    You can download the trial version of MSSQL server and install just Enterprise manager, and use it to manage your MSDE database. It doesn't expire.
    I tried that. but It will take 2 years to download that almost 400mb file with dial up. With my luck I'd get it all downloaded and then it would be corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99
    Uhm, you mentioned something about not having C# to use a certain SQL server manager. A free C# IDE is avaliable at www.sharpdevelop.com .

WWB
    If I remember right one of the links provided led to a file that would not run because it said I needed a copy of the C# .Net installed on my computer. I dunno. But I did however find the program I was looking for and it does work really well considering it was written in vb 6.0, it's a little slow but its something I can deal with considering the alternitives. I don't have $500.00 for the real manager, and It's almost impossible to download a 400mb file with dial up.