SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I did something stupid. I plugged in a fan while my system was on. (My system Shut down and another one that was on the network did also) Stupid I know. Anyways, I get a Error that says It can't write to memory. In first happened to ICQ, and I uninstalled, and reinstalled 3-4 times, now it runs fine. But now PSP 7 doesnt work, I tried Installing PSP 6 to, and that also has problems.

I get a error with syntax and other things. I switched my memory with a 64MB chip i had in another computer I had, and It worked fine, but it still gets that Write error. I think it must be the MOBO, because my harddrive, memory, sound card, and video card all works fine. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Grandmaster; Feb 28, 2001 at 18:06.
    Ken Prescott - 21Studios freelancing design
    Graphic-Forums - The Forums for the Graphic User

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you could try re-installing Windows..who knows

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I just remembered what MOBO means

Yes, you may need a new MOBO (motherboard )..about 99.9% sure about that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Grandmaster
    Ok, I did something stupid. I plugged in a fan while my system was on.

No reason why you can't do this unless the fan is wired up wrong or you plugged it in wrong, or touched something you shouldn't have, or the fan has the wrong power requirements...

(My system Shut down and another one that was on the network did also)

Bonus power surge to the network cable? or both pc's on the same circuit breaker?

Stupid I know. Anyways, I get a Error that says It can't write to memory. In first happened to ICQ, and I uninstalled, and reinstalled 3-4 times, now it runs fine. But now PSP 7 doesnt work, I tried Installing PSP 6 to, and that also has problems.

Any one of a million things :O) dammaged cells in the ram, address bus fried so some of the memory is not addressable when the system thinks it is, e.t.c

I get a error with syntax and other things. I switched my memory with a 64MB chip i had in another computer I had, and It worked fine, but it still gets that Write error.

More than likely the address bus is knackered which does mean a new motherboard
    Had a full length isa sound card ages ago and i knocked it on the case and it grounded and the fuse in the psu blew...

Another time I was fiddling with a faulty PSU and it blew up in my ear, couldn't hear for and hour, turned out there was a strange looking small nut floating around inside (didn't come off of anything in the whole house tho).

An idiot once pulled my HDD out when the power was on coz it was in a removable tray, "wanted to see if it was hot swappable". He didn't know that if you pull the disk with the running os on the system might go down !!!

Hardware can be fun :O)
    Last edited by Drinky; Feb 28, 2001 at 20:51.
    Drinky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, a New MOBO it is then : ).
    I have a bit BM6 running a celeron 466>582, so im going to buy a dual cerleron board and buy another celeron 466 and overclock both of them : ). I have windows 2G.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Drinky

No reason why you can't do this unless the fan is wired up wrong or you plugged it in wrong, or touched something you shouldn't have, or the fan has the wrong power requirements...
    What! Perhaps he should have licked the connectors first? I reckon I'm a pretty laid back person normally, but I get pretty anal as soon as I open a PC case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freakysid

What! Perhaps he should have licked the connectors first? I reckon I'm a pretty laid back person normally, but I get pretty anal as soon as I open a PC case.
    He i'm cautious too you know. But i have ton's of electronics experience, and know exactly what i'm doing, so i know where I can put my hands and where I can't inside a running PC.

I should have said, don't do this unless you are a qualified electrician, or have years of electronics experience. Coz you'll blow yourself up, and maybe a few other things :O)
    Drinky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, it was a fan with bare wires, and i do ahve lots of computer repair experiance for my age, and electricity, I respect it, it was just my foolishness, thats all.. a lesson learned hard. : )

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very wise to shut down a PC if you have to mess inside the PC, for one wrong move is enough to cause it to either reset, or to blow up the PSU.

I once removed a CD-ROM drive while the PC it was in was running. Niiice sparks! Unfortunately, it caused the PC to go dead.

Luckily it was a new PC, using a new PSU with build-in thermal safety switch, so I only had to wait till it had cooled down.
    That time I've learned my lesson, I now always power down PC's I'm working on
    Last edited by Elledan; Mar 3, 2001 at 03:05.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once when I was building a computer (this one I currently use) and after experimenting with overclocking for a while and testing the system, I took it a part and put it together for the third time. Everything went fine, but I noticed that MotherBoard Monitor started screaming about CPU temperature, which was like high!

Apparently I forgot the plug the power cord from the fan to the motherboard and my 700MHz thunderbird well, uh, got a bit hot So I took my leatherman and plugged that cord straight to motherboard and the fan started working. Saw few sparks flying out there though, but it works
    HighCheats - game cheats, codes, tips and tricks for PC and various console platforms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe this could turn into a "Stupid Things Done to a Computer" Thread?
    I've beaten everyone, I Have to put the most money into my computer because of one of my "Stupid" moves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, since we're sharing "Stupid things done while repairing computers".

While I was doing a Diploma in PC & Network support we had a little module on monitor and PSU repair, we got paired up and set about our task of diagnosing a faulty monitor, I was paired up with a girl from our class who was wearing a singlet top and was pretty short. We where working on a work bench that she found a little tall so she had to stand on her tippy toes and lean over the monitor to see right inside and under the CRT, just unfortunately her wearing a singlet top and being female, a certain part of her anatomy touched a still charged capacitor and gave her a nice little shock.

Funny how she was the only one that didn't find the episode funny. hehehehe

**We always did wonder why the teacher always warned us about the dangers of charged capacitors**
    .NET Code Monkey

buried in the database shell (Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a dual PII/PIII CPU motherboard here that was in one of my systems. It had two Celeron 466's but one day while I was at a computer show I saw two PIII500's that were at a great price. I picked them up and took out my other CPUs. I turned it back on and it listed them as being 466's. So I thought I'd clear out the BIOS by changing the jumper for the BIOS reset. After adjusting the BIOS with the jumper in the "RESET" position I took it out. I pulled the jumper, but before I could reseat it someone called me. I talked for a bit and then went back and stuck the jumper on the motherboard.

I pushed the power supply and to my surprise I hear a hiss and see smoke / flames coming out of the motherboard! I stared at it for a while not really sure what was going on. After I got my wits about me I unplugged it and took a look and tried to see what I did. I saw a charred portion of the motherboard approximately the size of a quarter with a little flat capacitor-looking thing in the center. Directly next to it was the jumper I put on the motherboard... Except it wasn't on the BIOS reset pins but on a case fan power supply point!

Apparently I shorted out the fan and a little emergency fuse on the motherboard did itís job and consigned itself to the flames so that the motherboard might live. I decided that Iíd sell everything anyway because I used the dual machine as a server but really nothing else. I still have the motherboard if anyone wants itÖ just donít put anything on the little 3 pin case fan hook-up!