SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, here's the deal -- I have a Solaris 2.7 x86 system that has Apache/PHP on it, and I need to communicate with MSSQL 7 on a Win2k server. How do I do it?

I've seen some comments here and there about doing a Linux-based Apache/PHP to MSSQL connection, but nothing on Solaris. I'm at the point where I don't really care how I do it, with MSSQL or ODBC extensions, so any suggestions would be great.. I know ODBC will probably be slower than using MSSQL calls, but that's actually the route I think I want to take. Either way would be fine though, if anyone's been able to pull this off..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd assume you just use the bulit in PHP msSQL functions - they allow you to specify the IP of the server to connect to so do that and you should be fine:

www.php.net/mssql

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess my question is how to install PHP to get the MSSQL functions specifically on Solaris.. Most of the comments on that page seem to refer to Linux, and other pages I've found on PHPBuilder etc are along those lines as well.. I remember reading something about how I'd need FreeTDS and how that didn't work outside of Linux..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As it turns out, FreeTDS does compile on Solaris 2.7 and PHP can use it. There are problems though -- While trying to loop through the Northwind database's Employees table, i.e., to read all the rows/columns, it chokes. But when reading any other table in that db, it's fine.. I think it might be one of those ntext problems.. regardless, Solaris can connect to MSSQL and I'm happy