SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Connecting Access from IIS

I loaded WebWizForums onto my machine running IIS. I've been trying for a few days to get things working but it's been about 6 months since I've worked with IIS so I must need a refreshment. I installed the Access version of the script and changed all the permissions to the database folder to read/write and also enabled web sharing with full access to the folder. But I continue to get this error when trying to logon to the form with the default username and password.

Code:

The page cannot be displayed

There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.Please try the following:

• <LI id=instructionsText1>Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
    • Open the localhost home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
    HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error Internet Information Services Technical Information (for support personnel)
    • Error Type: Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80040E09) Cannot update. Database or object is read-only. /forum/login_user.asp, line 171
    • Browser Type: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
    • Page: POST 97 bytes to /forum/login_user.asp
    • POST Data: name=administrator&password=letmein&AutoLogin=true&NS=true&sessionID=629838038&Submit=Forum+Login
    • Time: Sunday, June 20, 2004, 3:56:59 PM
    • More information: Microsoft Support
    However, if I enter the incorrect password, I get the "Password is incorrect" error. So I would assume that I can communicate with the database. It's only when I enter the correct password and the logon process starts.

I've tried asking this question on the WebWizForum but all there forums are moderated so it takes 72 hours to get a reply, and when I do it usually isn't much help.

Thanks.

Edit: As I said it's been a while since I've needed to use IIS. I do remember that last time I used it there was an icon manager near the clock which showed me that all my IIS services were started. However this time I can't locate that icon and I can't remember where I went to before to add it to the system tray. At this point I'm not 100% sure that IIS is even running. I do however know that it's installed.
    Last edited by Goth; Jun 20, 2004 at 13:13. Reason: More Information

$this->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just a wild guess, but what permission level does the username have that you assigned to your database? It's possible that it has read-only privileges, in which case that might be the source of your problem.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    Showcase your music collection on the Web

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vinyl-junkie
    This is just a wild guess, but what permission level does the username have that you assigned to your database? It's possible that it has read-only privileges, in which case that might be the source of your problem.
    I don't know anything about permission levels for usernames. If you mean my windows username, it's an administrator account.

$this->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goth
    I don't know anything about permission levels for usernames. If you mean
    my windows username, it's an administrator account.
    No, I'm not talking about a windows username. If I understand correctly the type of application you're working with, you have an Access database driving it. That Access database has a username and password associated with it that in turn is granted a certain permission level to the database. For example, one username might be granted read-only access to the database, while another username might be granted full privileges; e.g., create, update and delete permissions to the database.

One of the messages you quoted as receiving - "Database or object is read-only" - suggests to me that it is a permissions problem with the username that is associated with your database.

Now, it could be something completely different too, but I'm betting my money on a username problem.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    Showcase your music collection on the Web

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Web user (IUSER_MACHINENAME) needs read/write access to the folder the DB lives in if using OLEDB connections, IIRC.

The DB login you should use for access, unless you setup another one, is 'Admin' with a blank PW, not the machine administrator account. Or just leave them off and it will let you in in most cases.

WWB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaw working. :=)