SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So many CEO's!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone noticed that nearly every teen (including myself) have themselves down as CEO or some high up rank on there site. What do you need to be a CEO? Like shouldnt your site be some sort of business not just a site. Like lets say teen 1 owns Amazon.com and Teen2 owns ijloasjtflksdvn.com (made up ) we all know that amazon is a business so he is a CEO but does teen2 or even adult2 have any right to call himself a CEO ?
    Back Again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if some kid wants to call himself a CEO, so be it. There's not a whole lot anyone else can do. If your site makes money, it could be a considered a business, but there is room for interpretation there.

buried in the database shell (Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oops!
    Last edited by MattR; Mar 1, 2001 at 03:43.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know. You'd have to check with whoever makes the rules about who can call themselves a CEO.

I am the CEO of my apartment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah well im on a hostile takeover bid, and it worked im not the ceo of your apartment which is now my apartment
    Back Again

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a registered business. It amuses me sometimes when I see people (not just teens) giving themselves grandious titles.

In my opinion, call yourself whatever you want, but to call yourself a business you should be actively trading and if earning you should be paying taxt insurance etc, whether you have offices or work from home is irrelevant!

buried in the database shell (Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Nicky
    In my opinion, call yourself whatever you want, but to call yourself a business you should be actively trading and if earning you should be paying taxt insurance etc, whether you have offices or work from home is irrelevant!
    Actively trading -- on the stock market? I hardly think that a public company has any more 'validity' than a privately held company.

And yes, we pay taxes, have budgets and all that crap.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Activelytrading as in web design or whatever business you are in!

And it's great that you pay your taxes, you should be proud of your business!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I ever own my own business again, I'm just going to call myself the Ueberlord and forget about all this CEO business.

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Jeff Bezos was the CEO of Amazon when it was in his garage. So, having "employees and such" and "no real home office" doesn't really mean a whole lot anyway. I mean... if anyone wants employees, they can have them, but are they really needed? The less staff the better as well as the less overhead the better.

Anyway, CEO just means that you are head of operations. So, its just a title and it stands true if you are the main person in your business or company in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go to companies house in the UK and ask to see a list of Directors of UK companies you'll find my name on the book.

So I am infact a bonefied registered company Director :O)

A ltd. company requires at least two members of staff, 1 Director and one Company Secratary.

P.S. Nickey, your company doesn't have to be trading to be a company, it can be left 'on-the-shelf' until you are ready to use it for a modest fee of 10 per year to companies house for admin.
    Last edited by Drinky; Feb 28, 2001 at 23:34.
    Drinky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had played with this a little when starting my own business, which I then deceided to unstart. I simply called myself owner.

The reason I never used CEO or some such thing is that when I dealt with companies and had to contact CEO soandso - they answered the phone, wrote the email, designed the Web site, and everything else, it struck me as unprofessional. I figured it was just one person or kid trying to make themselves bigger or more important then they are.

Is that who I want to do business with?
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you westmich.

My (Managing Director) title only goes on official company doc's, and legal doc's, and my company e-mail signature.
    Drinky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, there is one thing that is never mentioned about "teen" CEOs and web designers. I wouldn't think any company worth it's salt would even consider hiring a teen to do their website. Primary reason is that you can't really have a legal contract with a teen. Not to mention certain child labor laws that may or may not be addressed. I think right now even AOL is being investigated for using teenagers for forum/chat room moderators, which may have broken child labor laws and combined with the fact that they were way underpaid.

Just imagine, a company like Intel needing a page redesign and hosting service, do you think they would even consider doing this without a legal and binding contract?

I would also put forward that a lot of these teen are operating their company in a very gray area of legality. I ask how many of you teens are following state and local laws? Do you have a business license? A tax ID number? A fictious name statement? Did you check out the zoning laws for where your business is located to make sure it was ok to run said business? Do you have the proper insurance for your business if needed? Do you file your taxes? Do you pay your taxes?

And as for calling yourself a CEO please put down the crack pipe. In the public sense we think of CEO running companies in which we can buy stock on a stock exchange, publicly traded. CEOs run the business and make the executive decisions and not get their hands dirty with the things like what type of web page design software, or the colors of that graphic. They would leave this decision to their department heads. To any of you teen CEO designers out there what are your exchange symbols? What is your PE ratio? How are we looking for the near term? Long term? Any term?

Hey why we are on the subject did our lawyers see the contract that Amazon wants us to sign? Did the insurance/underwriter company see the contract and will cover us if like the server crashes for 14 days? And what about that parent of that kid that says they saw something in our graphic that traumatized their kid for life and now they want 3 million in change and our lawyers need a check cut today or they walk and will not defend us???

I am not putting down the talent of these 12 to 17 year old designers some of them are very talented. But please, as part of the management team in a company that has a CEO if you hand me a business card that says CEO and your just a small company with no public assets then I will probably round can it. But if your card says Designer then I will take it much more seriously. Thus the wisdom with the talent and knowledge.
    body { background:#000000; color:#000000 }
    HEY, WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS?!?
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CryingWolf...

I ask how many of you teens are following state and local laws?

I am!

Do you have a business license?

Well definately over here you dont need one.

A tax ID number?

Yes i do!.
    I am not GST registered because my sales do not currently exceed 40K.

Do you have the proper insurance for your business if needed?

The answer would be very long winded, suffice to say i am covered

Do you file your taxes?

Yes!
    I even keep a full set of accounts. I also expect to be audited within the next few years.

Do you pay your taxes?

Of course.

And as for calling yourself a CEO please put down the crack pipe.

While i do not personally title myself CEO (or any such thing) i dont see a problem with it. Call yourself what you like!!! And let people interpret it how they like.

What is your PE ratio?

I always thought that was only important to public companies, the very theory would suggest such. As i doubt you will find many design companies that are public this is not relavant!

How are we looking for the near term?

Expected increase in affiliate type systems to build on the back of the successful ******** project
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of legality, working with teens can be a problem in many countries. But there's no reason to put down 18-. I'm quite sure if 100 18 year olds can do it, at least 70 17 year olds can do it too.

I don't own a company and I don't make profit and I don't call myself CEO. I would never call myself CEO, because it creates a distance. Distance is bad.

Therefore I'd suggest to those who use the term CEO, that they search for an original title How about Caesar Bill Gates. Sounds much better than CEO Bill Gates

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok... let me see. (Sorry, this is long, blame Crying Wolf )

I wouldn't think any company worth it's salt would even consider hiring a teen to do their website.
    I don't agree, but I agree with reasons you gave, but they can be addressed and work can be done.

I do.

No, I do not, currently it is not needed.

A tax ID number?
    Yes.

Did you check out the zoning laws for where your business is located to make sure it was ok to run said business?
    To be honest, no, but doing work on my computer, I have to contact people about zoning laws? What about if I just visit a chat room? lol

I really don't need it, I don't have much to ensure. And I wouldn't be in much danger of needed it for other purposes. (I know your target this question answer as the bad one )

I'd be offended by that if I wasn't so nice. No, I have never done any drugs, and have never had alocohol or anything like that.

In the public sense we think of CEO running companies in which we can buy stock on a stock exchange, publicly traded. CEOs run the business and make the executive decisions and not get their hands dirty with the things like what type of web page design software, or the colors of that graphic. They would leave this decision to their department heads.
    I agree, which is why I refrain from calling myself a CEO in most places, except in e-mail, which it is in my sig. I agree with what westmich said earlier, makes perfect sense.

To any of you teen CEO designers out there what are your exchange symbols?
    I hope you don't mean stock exchange symbols, which would be called a ticker symbol. Because there are private companies. Like UPS was until last year.

What is your PE ratio?
    No price, so no ratio.

Good, we have eSportsSection launching within 1-3 weeks, with SportsForums.net going to start pretty soon after that.

Long term?
    Good, we have plans to unveil 3-6 new sites by the end of this year and plans for a couple more after that and we will continue to develop and redevelop more.

Any term?
    Great, my friend.

I answered all of these honestly, and if anyone takes what I said as being rude, sorry. That was hard... I need a break.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CEO accurately used I believe is the head of a corporation. To be a corporation you need to be incorporated (duh) so for many calling themselves CEO its false.

President or Sole Proprietor (sounds like an inn keeper) would probably be more accurate titles.

Also titles like President convery a certain "rulership" but if your only employee is yourself you can't really rule anybody.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From dictionary.com:

chief executive officer (chf g-zky-tv f-sr)
    n. Abbr. CEO, C.E.O.

The highest-ranking executive in a company or organization, responsible for carrying out the policies of the board of directors on a day-to-day basis.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the UK if you run a one person business ie not a partnership or limited company, it is the LAW to state the words
    Proprietor: yourname
    on all business correspondance.
    And as to not needing insurance because you work from home on your computer then believe me that is a very stupid thing to do. Unless you are a limited company where your personal assets are separated from your business if you get sued you could lose EVERYTHING!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (I am sorry I started something here I just hate to see all this knowledge with no wisdom to back it up.)

Ok I don't know about other countries but all this is in the US

How many of you teens have secured business loans??? And not from the bank of Mom and Dad

A loan is a very basic contract... There are only a couple of reasons that a person of under 18 may even venture into a contract. There is a reason you must be 18 to get a credit card or even vote. Our laws have seen fit (right or wrong is not my place to decide) to make contracts with minors not legally binding. I would think this is more to protect the minor then anything else.

Thanks froggy for clarifying the CEO thing. And thanks Nicky for showing us a very useful and proper title... Although I see nothing wrong with similar themes and variations (owner / designer etc...)

For those of you teens that are running a legit business, I commend you, even if you may have to float in certain gray areas cuz you can't get a business license because of your age etc. Just remember School First!!!

Late

o.h. and P.S. the crack thing is a joke. I would never really believe that any of you are on drugs. Or at least I would hope not. So just like my other saying "this ain't rocket science!!!" Just remember to live life with some humor, else it can be a pretty dry life indeed...
    Last edited by CryingWolf; Mar 1, 2001 at 22:54.
    body { background:#000000; color:#000000 }
    HEY, WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS?!?
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the loans thing, you could get around that i think
    No minors cannot sign contracts, although on most occasions you can get the client to sign a contract and have him pay you upon completion...many are happy to do this and it is in effect similar to a contact, whereby the client may pay 30% upfront or something.

In business i basically think that you should be able to call yourself what the hell you like. Call yourself "Head didndkn dknd knd" for all i care, aslong as it is not misleading.
    CEO could in many cases be misleading, although i think most are probably going to think it is just a bunch of kids mucking around.

As for "Just Remember School First!!!", is that an invitation to voice my concerns with the education system??

Humor is good also, life is one big party...
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CryingWolf...

I Absolutely do.

Fully Incorporated legal entity. Sparklit Networks Inc.

A tax ID number?

Yes

WCB + additional

Do you file your taxes?

Yes.

Do you pay your taxes?

Of course.

[i]
    I like my crack.
    [i]

What is your PE ratio?

Sparklit Networks Inc is privately held company.

Currently employ 7 full time computer science graduates (yes, they are all older than me) with two more starting in april. Also, we have recently aquired a full bathroom (including shower) in our office (yeah, we have an office; 3rd floor baby!) ... I'm not going into finacial details here except stating that we are profitable and all employees are paid cash (not stock options or bs like that)

I am a teen and I call myself President and CEO (don't tell my girlfriend though, i told her i just work there )
    [/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 16. I am paid cash in hand. I am reliable.

I really dont care about formalities like contracts etc. Until I'm older, who needs them? People shouldnt make out they're older then they really are.
    russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just put myself down as "webmaster and owner" which entails exactly what I do.
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!