SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,
    I am doing a fantasy game site now i have to work out teams points and then give them a postion that they are in the fantasy league. I guess how to do this is get the points in a table and sort them in order. But then how do i get there postion in the score table?

Also if i only want to show 10 rows of a database on one page so it doesn't get to crowed and have the user click the next button for the rest how do i do this

Thanks

I have build a site from reading Kevin's stuff on sitepoint and help in these forums and other guess work if your a formula 1 fan you might want to check out this fantasy f1 league. Please don't suggest improvements for the site I am well aware of shortcomings and am already addressing them The address is www.rapidf1.com
    Last edited by Smarky; Feb 28, 2001 at 11:53.
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have their points in a MySQL table, you can just use a select statement such as....

SELECT * FROM scores ORDER BY points DESC

That would sort the list from highest score to lowest score. Then to get the position, you could use the following.

a=1;

begin screen output loop here

print a; // wherever you want the poisition printed.

a++; // increments the value of a by 1.

end output loop

rest of code...

It's not the most detailed run-through, I know, but you get the gist. If not, I'll be back later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am doing a fantasy game site now i have to work out teams points and then give them a postion that they are in the fantasy league. I guess how to do this is get the points in a table and sort them in order. But then how do i get there postion in the score table?
    Yes, you need to store the points in a table. You could make your table look like this

MemberID Score

Store the scores. And then when printing out the output of the best 10 etc, you can sort and print. You could also, cross reference the scores for the team info by the common field MemberID.

Also if i only want to show 10 rows of a database on one page so it doesn't get to crowed and have the user click the next button for the rest how do i do this
    You can do this by using the LIMIT statement. So your SQL statement will look something like this
    SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE (whatever=$whatever) LIMIT $offest, $limitingvalue

here
    $offset = Starting row.
    $limitingvalue = Number of rows to return.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by kunal; Mar 1, 2001 at 06:52.
    i dunno...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, thanks for your help but how would i work out the postion of the player in the score tabe so say for example on the front page it tells the player what postion they are in the league.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you could store his UserID in a cookie. And then, check for the UserId against the table?
    i dunno...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah thatswhat i am doing usedid is in a php session

but what i want is something like - "You are placed 5th" or something on the first page

how i count what number of row the user is on so i know what place they are.

This is if i am correct in thinking that the way to do this is to sort the table by score and then count what row the users score is on giving them there place in the league

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by velocity
    ...This is if i am correct in thinking that the way to do this is to sort the table by score and then count what row the users score is on giving them there place in the league
    Yup, this is how you would have to do it. KMxRetro, covered how to implement this in his post.
    i dunno...

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because mySQL doesn't support sub-queries you would need two queiries:

PHP Code:
    // get the member's points
    $result mysql_query"SELECT points FROM table WHERE memberID = $memberID);
    $row mysql_fetch_array($result);
    $membPoints $row["points"];

// work out the member's ranking
    $sql " SELECT COUNT(points) AS rank
                  FROM table
                  WHERE points > 
    $membPoints ";

$result mysql_query$sql);
    $row mysql_fetch_array($result);
    $ranking $row["rank"] + 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    huh whats going on KMxRetro post wasn't there and now its appeared as a the first reply hmmmm thanks for your help

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    velocity, I just re-read your original post. For the solution spliting your table over severl pages, refer to Karl Yanks posts in this thread:
    http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=16004

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the front page user position display, if your database updates after a specific time period (ie. scores update once an hour or once a day), you could keep a field called "Position" in the MySQL table. When your script updates, it would update the position field.

Then, when a user visits the front page, your script checks the cookie and just does a "Select * from scores where UserID = '$id'" or something like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey i used freakysid's code for the pos. thing and now its working it is great. The only trouble is being as quite a few people have the same amount of points they are being told they are in the same place. I.E currently 20 members on the test system are on 0 points and this code is telling them they are all 3rd. Is there a way to once ranking them by score to sort it the postions then by username? So no two users are told that they are in the same postion?