SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all. I'd just like to pass on a handy website I've come across. Ever wonder what all those acronyms are floating around. Wether it's WAP or WAN or WYSIWYG. I know there are many times I hear someone talking about the newest ABC and how it's all FUBAR. And many times I'm a little shy asking what XYZ means since, hey, EVERYONE know's that!!

Well, I've found a site that will tell you what XYZPDQ means just by typing in the acronym. It's at http://www.acronymfinder.com. They have never been unable to find an answer for me. It's free and guaranteed to save you the embarrassment of asking something you should already know.

Just thought some of you would like to know.
    Joe Eliason
    Just a dog learnin' PHP from cat.

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe ever notice your birthday falls on easter Sunday every 11 years?
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's every 77 years in Dog Years. How many is that in feline years??

BTW...I caught my dog making-out with some cat the other night (as seen in photo). That wasn't freddy, was it???
    Last edited by HotDog; Feb 28, 2001 at 11:03.
    Joe Eliason

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha Ha! Actually we share the same birthday but you are one year older. I am April 22, 1973

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long have you been coding php. And what other languages do you code in??

As you know, I have barely picked up PHP and I've only been working as a web designer/programmer for a year...professionally. B4 becoming a geek, I worked as a nurse in the Army. I picked up web design about 4 years ago when I bought HOTDOG 3.0 web suite, and did novice design work. I really started getting into web stuff about 2 years ago when I got out of the military and HATED working as a nurse in the civilian world. Luckily, a good friend of mine saw some of my work and liked what he saw and encouraged me to apply for a job here in SLC. I LOVE my job. I can't tell you how much I look forward to going into work every morning. But my problem is I'm all self taught, so what I know, I know, but I have holes. I've found PHP very easy to pickup, since I know javaScript really well, but I still have a long way to go. Now my company is teaching me a language called LANSA which is a language that runs on an IBM AS/400. It's a really cool language in that it you code it and you can compile to different platforms, e.g. RPG, C++, or HTML. So you only have to learn 1 language to have a DB application run on different environments. Plus your average seasoned LANSA programmer makes $75K+. So I have a lot on my plate right now. I sometimes feel that I'm learning so much so fast I can't take it all in.
    Joe Eliason

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long were you in the Army? I did 5 + in the Navy. I didn't start PHP till about a year ago. I did HTML, javascript and some perl before that though, and like you I am 100% self-taught.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK...this is starting to get freeky. Same B-day a year appart. Both in Military. Both self-made-geeks. You have a cat and I have a dog. I have a mole on my right buttock and you have...well, never mind.

I was in since Dec 20, 1993. I'm still in the reserves. I just made Sergeant about a year ago.
    Joe Eliason

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So that is e-5 in the Army if my memory serves me correctly. I have been out since 1996, I was an e-5 when I got out and finished my inactive reserve stint in 1999. Where were you stationed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ft. Jackson South Carolina. All my friends went to Germeny, I got stuck in Soutn Carolina!! When I got out in of active service in 1996 I went to school at South Dakota State Univ (my home state), then moved to Minneapolis for a couple years after I got married, and now I'm in SLC. I like it here in Utah, the mountains are GREAT, but I hope to make it back to MN in the next couple years. I really learned to love Minneapolis and most of my family is out that way. I want to wait till I know LANSA better and then seek a job out there.
    Joe Eliason

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds cool. I had a rather interesting enlistment, I got to travel the world a few times and was in Hawaii for three years, but not to rub it in. Yeah I am kinda stuck in my current job, I live in Monterey CA and work for a web development company/ISP, I really want to get out of CA but I am not confident enough in myself to find a better job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you find the time to monitor this forum as much as you do??? I find myself so busy with work I just don't have the time. There is so much EXELENT information here I could spend all day just reading different threads. I can't tell you how many I've printed off for a reference.
    I haven't really found a need to get any PHP books yet. Between you and Kev and so many others here at SitePoint, I have all the informaiton I need.
    Joe Eliason

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is my point, I wish I had a job where I had less time to spend on the forums. I suppose my boss might disagree and say that I should be busy 8 hours a day, but come on now, they can't give me enough work to keep me that busy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe we should start out own company and live where ever we want.

I'm not to jellous about you being in Hawaii, after I graduated HS I lived in the Dominican Republic (an island off Puerto Rico) for 2 years. I was part of a service/missionary group. They have the largest white sand beach in the world. It was the best experiance in my life!! For 2 whole years!!!!!

The only thing that I hated (at the time) was learning spanish. I didn't know any going down and really struggled with it. But by the time I came home I knew it really well. I consider it an asset now. But since I don't practice I've forgotten a lot.
    Last edited by HotDog; Feb 28, 2001 at 11:52.
    Joe Eliason