User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Multiple sites sharing membership data

Hi there,

I would like some direction on what I should do or what is the best way to accomplish the following:

I have a developed a network of 115 websites, all virtual sites on the same server (for now) and each site has a sign-up/register membership routine. What I want is for each member to be able to login at each of the websites after becoming a member at any of the other websites. So, basically, if you register at website 52, then you should be able to sign in at any of the 114 other websites with the same info.

Each site has a separate database, which is where I get lost. Is there an easy way to make registration work globally across all the websites?

Currently, when a person registers, there data is thrown into that websites database and I need it to go into a database that would be global-like or maybe a routine that adds the members data to that websites database, then automatically adds it to a global database as well.

I am fairly sure there are safemode restrictions which won't allow me to do this, or maybe since I have the db name, password and username, then I can access any of the websites databases from any of the virtual websites?

Ok, my brain is fried ...I hope all that made sense and I didn't over type it ....just seeking advice before I jump into this.

Thanks in advance

Mark Givens
    Atascocita, TX

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you HAVE to have separate databases for every site? It would be much nicer on you for coding and on the server to have one database for all the sites.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each site has its own databases. I just need a way to share the membership data from each site with all the other sites.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So make membership its own database, then run authorization against that.

WWB

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't do that because of safe mode restrictions on the server. Each site is independent of the others.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But you only have one mysql server running on the server, not one for each site, have you actually tried?