SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    4,810
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a new section for my site provided by a third party. I copied the directory supplied by them into a folder in my site root (C:/sites/newfolder) and in windows explorer everything looks as it should. When I open the site in Dreamweaver, it renames a large proportion of the files (in a seemingly random fashion!!) by capitalising them (but not all of them...).

    ie: mydoc_docname.htm

    becomes

    MYDOC_DOCNAME.HTM

    This causes the links within the site not to work.


    Heeeeeelp!

    Thanks in advance,

    H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

  2. #2
    Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    8,277
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

    I have encountered this problem before when I was MOVING files from one system to another!

    Dreamweaver does not do things at random so I can only assume that the files you are working with have already been changed in another system which when opened in DW causes them to be saved in uppercase!

    My suggestion is to run ALL the files through some sort of program and rename them all using lowercase. You can also try making copies of the problem files and rename them by hand using DOS or MyComputer!

    It might take a while but it should fix your problem.

    To be on the safe side I always suggest to students to keep to the 8.3 convention and to save everything in lowercase.

  3. #3
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    4,810
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Nicky, at least I now know the source of the problem.
    The pages I am using are part of a purchased CD rom package, so unfortunately I had no control over file naming (I too always use lower case - didn't know about the "8.3" convention though?).
    Unfortunately, the links within the pages (there are over 1000) are in mixed case (ie MyDoc.html, mydoc2.html etc) so just changing all names to lower case as you suggest won't work (*nix server).
    Is there any function you know of within Dreamweaver that can make all links lowercase? - If there is then changing the page names as you suggest could work.

    Thanks again

    H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

  4. #4
    Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    8,277
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, if you go into:
    EDIT>PREFERENCES

    Select HTML FORMAT
    and then change the options of the case for tags and attributes to lowercase!


  5. #5
    SitePoint Wizard holmescreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Northwest Florida
    Posts
    1,707
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a backup of several websites onto a cd a few months back. To my dismay, the "old" cd-burning software capitalized all the files. Didn't realize this until a month later after the originals had been deleted off my hard drive.

    Since there were a few hundered pages, I had copy everything back to my hard drive then use a utility that will rename all files and its sub-directories using lower case. Of course, I bought new cd-burning software.

    I typically use lowercase on all files in my sites.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •