User Tag List

Thread: Beginning PHP

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi...
    After reading some stuff by kevin yank I've decided to learn mysql/php. Not because I want to make some business or anything, but just because I'm a bored kid. Anyhow, at the time of reading the article by mr. yank I didn't have a database set up with my host (f2s.com), so I couldn't test anything I was reading. Which is really beside the point, because the entire article went over my head. But it sounded very good. Can someone point me in the right direction to start working with php? aside from this article, which apparently went way past me, i'm a complete beginner here to server side stuff. Although I do know some c++ & have worked a ton with javascript, so I'm not a complete ******. I tried installing mySQL & PHP on my computer but I failed miserably at that, and I've totally deleted the programs. Maybe with a second, more informed, not so half-assed attempt at this I can actually get to start working with php?
    thanks in advance,
    sod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I'm pretty much at the same level as you,
    so I've decided to practice like hell on the Mysql command line stuff until I feel confident with it.
    It seems to be the right way for me to go coz I'm begining to understand some of the things in php/mysql code when I see it.
    just a thought, it might help you

BTW there's a complete php, mysql, perl, apache package available for download at http://www.nusphere.com/download/download_now.htm
    not sure what it's like but I've heard good things, very easy to install etc.
    May be worth trying
    DCE
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked
    something.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good place to start is www.php.net (omg! :o)
    They have a HUGE manual, heaps of things you could want to do with php-scripting is in there. Have phun :o)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best PHP tutorial (and easiest for beginners) that I've ever found is Kevin's tutorial that you mentioned. A useful alternative though is this one:

http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/PHP/PHP101_1/

If even that isn't clear enough then you're going to have to shell out for a book. I thoroughly recommend PHP Essentials (ISBN: 076152729X) - it assumes no prior knowledge of programming and takes you through learning PHP and mySQL at a very easy rate - however by the end of the book you should feel comfortable writing useful applications (it has a case study on how to create your own secure online shop).

Cheers,

Skunk

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skunk,

Is there something wrong with your site because I can't access it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which site - the ssLinks one?

Works fine for me - you could try this URL though:

www.tfc-central.co.uk/sslinks/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the best way to learn a programing language is by working on a project. I mean, decide what you want to do, and then research and implement. Or download some free scripts and take a look at there code. Re-use the code to suite your project. This is fast, fun and interesting

Php.net is a good resource, when you need to know the syntax of something, or you need to know the limitations of certain functions. The manual provided is an excellent resource.

A good place to start, would be phpbuilder.com. Devshed, has way too many articles, and its not very clear in what it is trying to cover. Where as at phpbuilder the stuff is neat and well sorted out
    i dunno...

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi s_o_d the advice I was going to give you has already been given by others. So, only to add gravitas to the advice:

1) The PHP 101 articles at devshed.com are a good introduction
    how tp program using PHP

2) The nusphere.com bundled distro of PHP/Perl/MySQL/phpMyAdmin/Webmin/Apache
    is bloody excellent! Its a hefty download but you'll have all those apps set up on your Win or Linux in 30 seconds!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skunk,

That link works, but I can't access the demo on your site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooh - I see what you mean. I'll look into that today.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pardon my lameness... and this may be wavering off the original thread I started...
    I went and downloaded that "hefty" zip file from nusphere (28megs is a tad more than hefty on dial-up, heh). Now...there's a lot of stuff here. I ran the setup and fiddled around with the test applications and looked around at the masses of documentation. All the test CGI/Perl stuff works but when trying to run the PHP test to display all the enviroment/operating paramters, I get the error "A required .dll ODBC32 was not found." Kinda ironic that the main thing I'd be interested in would be the part of this not working. heh. Anyway, anyone know where I can get this file and where it should be placed? thanks.

sod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eek! - I installed on Linux. I'm sure someone here will have gone thru the win instal.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just went throught the install a week or so ago. Have you tried to do something simple with PHP yet. Other than the test? I don't know about this package download deal. I downloaded all of it seperately.

Does you MYSQL work?
    You might try to remove PHP and go and download it seperately from
    http://www.php.net/do_download.php?d...te=www.php.net
    Last edited by dav; Mar 1, 2001 at 14:40.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    apache 1.3.14 on win98. I've found the file ODBC.dll included with the install, but ODBC32.dll is nowhere to be seen.
    Running mySQL works fine. I was writing this when you edited your message. I have installed php-4.0.4pl1 on it's own and trying to run it gives the same error.

sod
    Last edited by s_o_d; Mar 1, 2001 at 15:22.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you uncomment These lines in your Apache/conf/httpd.conf file?

Locate the line:

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "C:/program files/Apache
    Group/Apache/cgi-bin/".

Go to the line following it and insert this:

ScriptAlias /php/ "C:/php/"

Now locate the line:

Go to the line following it and insert this:

Action application/x-httpd-php /php4/php.exe

Okay, one last modification to make. Find the line:

Go to the line following it and insert these lines:

AddType application/x-httpd-php.php
    AddType application/x-httpd-php-source.phps
    Last edited by dav; Mar 1, 2001 at 16:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this post at phpbuilder.com

Subject: RE: Php 4 + Omnihttpd = odbc32.dll error
    Author: Jan Fabry (212.239.148.52)
    Date: 2000-12-08 00:26:43

I had the same problem, and I found this answer on php.net (not my text, not yet tested by me):

IF YOU HAVE A MISSING ODBC32.DLL error come up from your WIN 98/Apache install, you will need to go to Microsoft,
    right here at http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q140/2/55.ASP EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE OFFICE OR WORD, OR
    ACCESS..and download the ODBC. Go ahead and install. One minor note: the MCsoft instructions say "type command in
    setup," what you do instead is double click on DISK1 and DISK2 and it will self extract. It will install on your hard
    drive. Next go ahead and run your PHP script, and Wallah, no MISSING ODBC32.DLL file.

I saw some of these questions, and I wanted to come back and tell others, so you won't have to go through what I went
    through.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I found that same post on php.net about 20 minutes ago. Too bad the link doesn't work. hehe. After searching around microsoft's site I found an SDK that supposedly has the odbc files in it. Dunno why these things can't be downloaded individually instead of in 13mb increments.

and I never even touched the httpd.conf file. Thanks for that pointer, there really is a lot of stuff in there. thanks.

By the way, could someone on win98 that has this setup working search for this ODBC32.dll file on their drive and tell me where it should be located?

sod
    Last edited by s_o_d; Mar 2, 2001 at 03:13.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's very easy to be tempted to say - put it in c:\windows\system or c:\winnt\system32 (if you're running NT/Win2000.

That always works for me ;-)

**Henning K. Pedersen**
    Forbrukerkraft Norway A/S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are really want to get into PHP I would suggest by the book "Professional PHP Programming' by Wrox Publishing.
    ISBN 1-861002-96-3 and if you know some c++ you will pick up php relativly easy.
    http://www.hostinquiry.com
    Look up your host today!
    ----------------------------
    ~Dylan Schiedel

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Installed the NuSphere package on win98 acouple days ago, my ODBC32.dll is in C:\windows\system, if you haven't already downloaded the 13MB pack, I can email you the .dll file if you like.
    By the way, I didn't have any problems with that part, but the i can't access any pages using https:, any thoughts anyone?
    Everything of course works flawlessly on my Linux server, though those weren't installed with the NuSphere bundle, so I can't say how well it works on Linux

Halsey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is anyone else here working through the examples inf Jay Greenspan / Brad Bulger's book "MySQL/PHP Database Applications?

Thanks.
    Dave