SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I create a greate web app using mainly MySQL?

I've been programming for a few months and took a class in OO oriented programming. Lately I've been trying to build a web calendar. It seems that it would be very easy to just do most of the work in MySQL and pretty much ignore programming OO in like PHP or Python. All I'd have to do is quickly create a table to hold events, and then if I want a page to show just today's events due a date comparison SQL query. If I wanted to edit an event, just change it directly with SQL etc. This seems to make it a waste of time to create my own OO program using classes and objects and what not.

Am I being a little naive? Would it be better to create my own OO program than to just piggy back on MySQL and its capabilities? Would my way of doing it still scale for thousands of users? Thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unit984
    I've been programming for a few months and took a class in OO oriented programming. Lately I've been trying to build a web calendar. It seems that it would be very easy to just do most of the work in MySQL and pretty much ignore programming OO in like PHP or Python. All I'd have to do is quickly create a table to hold events, and then if I want a page to show just today's events due a date comparison SQL query. If I wanted to edit an event, just change it directly with SQL etc. This seems to make it a waste of time to create my own OO program using classes and objects and what not.

Am I being a little naive? Would it be better to create my own OO program than to just piggy back on MySQL and its capabilities? Would my way of doing it still scale for thousands of users? Thank you!
    Hi,

you could do it the way you suggest, but:
    It will be buggier (repeated SQL and script code over many pages)
    It will take longer (repeated SQL and script code over many pages)
    It will be more difficul to maintain (repeated SQL and script code over many pages)
    It will be dificult to document (repeated SQL and script code over many pages)

so in short I think you should use the skills gained in your OO course. I wrote an article describing exactly this kind of scenario. Although my examples are based on ASP, I am sure you can follow the principles outlined:

http://www.richard-quinn.co.uk/quinn...ented_asp.html

HTH - Richard