SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking for ecommerce advice

My buddy wants to conduct transactions online. I have no experience with it and databasing, but I have decent amount of experience in web design. He needs to carry about 80-120 different products. He also wants to do just by paypal.

Any suggestions on what the best approach would be to the solution?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of little shopping carts found on hotscripts or scriptsearch that can easily be integrated with Paypal and most require no extra work. I also have a small ASP shopping cart that is integrated with Paypal as well (actually also LinkPoint, but I am thinking that is easily deleted). If interested in that one, let me know.

You might want to consider a cart though that can easily be connected to an internet payment gateway just in case he changes his mind & wants a merchant account,

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Corey said, the shopping cart is the way to go. You can also check with your web hosting company to see if they provide a base version of osCommerce to get started.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think in this situation, it would be wise to ensure that he can continuously manage it himself. Many system will require you to make all the changes and "buddy" usually equals "no payment." lol

Get him started and make sure he can take the reigns. There are many systems out there that are simple to use for a beginner. What is his budget? I will be happy to supply a few choices in his range.

Steph
    Stephanie Leffler
    CEO, MonsterCommerce.com
    Steph@MonsterCommerce.com
    http://www.monstercommerce.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well now Im trying to lean him into accepting credit cards. That way we do it right the first time and less stuff I have to deal with later changing it. Any suggestions on payment gateways? Is a merchant account included in a payment gateway? Any extra advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help guys and girls.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by norrisboat
    Well now Im trying to lean him into accepting credit cards. That way we do it right the first time and less stuff I have to deal with later changing it. Any suggestions on payment gateways? Is a merchant account included in a payment gateway? Any extra advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help guys and girls.
    PayPal includes a payment gateway, as do all the other 3rd party processors. That's one of the main advantages of third party processors.

Some merchant accounts also have deals that include a payment gateway, like goEmerchant, for example. You have to look very carefully at the merchant account offer to make sure that it includes a payment gateway.

When looking at a payment gateway for a regular merchant account it's important to look at the services included. Some gateways include recurring payments, others don't. Some do a lot of risk management, others don't.

To answer your question "Is a merchant account included in a payment gateway?", the answer is "no" unless you're talking about a 3rd party processor. If you ask the question "Is a payment gateway included in a merchant account?", the answer is "sometimes."
    Compare costs of 50 + CC processors with the Maculator