SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bringing life back to a forum

need some suggestions here... i bought a semi established forum site about 2 months ago - it had 8,000+ total posts and 165 or so registered users

there was a MAJOR headache switching the domain name over into my name because the previous owner had it registered w/ some off the wall UK registar... so the site itself was down for nearly 2 full months. during that time, PR slipped from 5 to a 3 and obviously there were no posts

once i got the domain name switched over, dns cached and everything setup and imported on my server, i started to work on cleaning up the forums... merging similar forums, deleting a few, creating a few new ones, so on and so on. i also got 2 friends of mine from another forum i run to help mod this one, and generate some new posts

i have also sent out one mass email letting the users of the site know the site is back online, but got almost no responce. its been nearly a week now and im considering sending out another mass email but don't want to spam people who don't want to be bothered

so... how do i go about getting at least some of the old members back onto the site and posting, while at the same time build the community up.

im not new to forums, i have a very sucessfull photography forum currently, but im just looking perhaps for some insight on how to bring life back to this somewhat dead, somewhat established site. i have already started to advertise it on other sites, and with luck google will continue to spider it so it will show up in search engines better... other then that, ive added the URL to the signature on several other forums im active on... anything else i can do?
    MikePanic.com Photography | Web Design | Social Media | Content Creation | Espresso

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd try sending out another mass email. Can you offer existing members any incentive for coming back to the forum, eg a competition? If you can, you could include details in the mass email.

Posting in existing threads, even if they are old, should help also as some of your members will have signed up for email notification.

Fergal
    Fergal Crawley (Previous Username: Proudirish.com)
    Business Advice Forum - Webmaster and Business Forum
    < Get a free link & win $5,000
    Forum Coin New World Currency

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have hit the same problem a lot of people buying forums hit. The members ain't happy with new ownership, and move on mass somewhere else.

I think you may have to look at getting new members, as after two months most existing members have found other communities to post at.

A classic example of this is vbworld.com which went from a hugely successful site, to now having only a dozen or so people online. The tech site l help run picked up something like a 1,000 ex vbworld members, and even more staggering extremevb.com leaped from a few thousand members to well over 20k in a couple of months.