SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIVs and IFRAMES

I need help. My site has a moving DIV tag over an IFRAME section. In IE 6 there's no problem, but the same DIV tag don't move over but under the IFRAME when I use Opera or IE 5. I've tried z-Index but it didn't work. What should I do?

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

In ie5 iframes are windowed elements and can't be controlled by the z-index. This was changed in ie5.5. and iframes became windowless and subject to the z-index.

quote from microsoft.
    Because they are windowless, iframe elements support the zIndex attribute in Internet Explorer 5.5 and later. Windowed controls, such as select elements, ignore the zIndex attribute. If your applications were designed for earlier versions of Internet Explorer, you might want to redesign pages containing iframe elements that are stacked on top of windowed controls. You can use the visibility attribute to hide windowed controls that you want an iframe element to overlap. You can also position windowed controls so that iframe elements do not overlap them.
    More info here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/a...ndowlessFrames

There is no way around it unless you use the methods of hiding etc mentioned above.

Paul

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Paul

Thank you, Paul.
    This means that I can't use IFRAME in this site.
    Do you know another way to display new HTML content without reloading the whole page? I don't want to load everything again just because of a small table.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brunotav, I think that maybe if you make your layout with CSS (tableless), the layout will not (theoretically) load again since it will be in your cache.
    ()=-
    //\ André Marcanth
    \//_ Aa' i'sul nora lanne'lle!

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Do you know another way to display new HTML content without reloading the whole page
    Well it depends exactly on what you mean. But you could hide and show elements through js using their visibility or display status to show and hide them.
    I assume you are having new content load in response to a users choice such as clicking a link etc.

The downside is that everything has to load first and you just reveal them when necessary.

The other solution as mentioned in the msdn link is to place the iframe in a div and then hide it when an element is in front. Obviously this is another js scripting scenario etc.

Can't you just avoid having the said element get in the way of your iframe?

Paul