http://www.freestuffed.com

SPF Lifer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for grammar

My opinion of the site:

1. Definitely get rid of the frames. Frames are annoying and on some computers take what seems like an eternity to load.

2. I would play around with the colors. The yellow is somewhat "ugly" in my opinion, and is not a great match with the maroon unless your site is related to selling antiques or something of an older nature.

3. At the top, is it really necessary to write FreeStuffed.com? I think if you got rid of the frames, you could combine a smaller version of the logo with the navigation bar on the left hand side.

4. I think you should make the index page more appealing. Try adding more content, I.E. more images, text, etc. to the front page.

5. You have a lot of links to various sites which offer free services. I would suggest adding a little description under each link telling your visitors what to expect, where to go to obtain the freebie, etc.

Other than that, you're off to a good start.
    Keep up the good work.
    Last edited by mtgm; Feb 27, 2001 at 21:01.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Niek,
    I took a look at the site and I have a few things that I wanted to say. You might want to think about what role the actual design plays in a site. For instance, the goal of a website is communication. Design is an important part of this goal. A successful web designer will use design elements (mainly positioning of graphics and text) to draw the user to what he or she wishes to communicate.

Therefore, if the design is used to communicate, what is your design trying to communicate? Maybe you want to think about a main idea to pull the design around. Usually it is a logo or a catch-phrase that symbolizes the company or organization.

For example, take a look at WebMonkey (http://www.webmonkey.com). Notice how, first of all, they create the focus of their page to the logo across the top of the page. Content-wise, the main focus of their content is down the middle of the page. This is where they put their most important information - their featured articles. They then spread out information in layers, out from the center, specific to how important it is. To prove this fact, notice where all of their advertising is. They have a main banner at the top of the page, but all other advertising is to the far left and right and also below everything else in those columns.

Webmonkey does this to make their intentions clear. They want to make their logo the main focus (because it distinguishes them as an organization). They make their secondary focus the featured articles. Thirdly, they make a smaller focus on navigation (menus, links, etc.) so while they are still easy to find, that's not where most of the page's "flash" is. Lastly, they make a small focus on their advertising.

There is a point to this . Basically I'm just recommending that you really reorganize your design in this manner. As I look at your site I cannot see a main focus. You not only put the menu on the left in a different color, but even their own separate box. This distracts the eye way too much from the content of the site (which should be a primary or secondary focus). Secondly, the banner you put in the middle of the main page, while it is not really advertising to be ignored (because you are recommending a tool), looks very out of the ordinary, and therefore people will see the banner before reading the page and dismiss it as someone trying to make money on advertising. Thirdly and finally (about time, right? ), I would recommend getting a better logo than the banner-type text logo at the top. Try to capture the essence of your site and represent it through an image. Why do you want people to come to your site? What can you offer them? A logo should be all these things.

I truly hope this helps and you are able to make a site that communicates better to the user. Best of luck!

Goof
    Nathan Rutman
    A slightly offbeat creative.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW!

Ehh, what should I say! Thanks guys!

These are really good reviews. No empty comments. I can actually do something with this! (Unlike some lame comments on some other forums.)

O.k. So, I guess, -please correct me when I'm wrong- I'd better get rid of the frames, and put my menu in a table.

It's going to take me some time though, ofcourse, to let met get deeper into the programming. Well, ill post again, when it's changes..

In the meanwhile, i'm still open for comments.

Niek
    http://www.freestuffed.com