SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Everyone,
    I have been working on two layouts for a redesign of the MagnaNetwork.com website. I have them uploaded on a server and would like you to pick which one you like best, and then give me some comments or suggestions on the one you chose so I can improve it.

The two layouts are:

1) http://www.n2v.net/samples/index.php
    2) http://www.n2v.net/samples/index2.html

I realize that they are not finished and number 2 doesn't even have the content completed however the basic layout is there.
    I would appreciate any and all comments and suggestions. Thanks!

Brian Frye
    Brian Frye
    Webmaster - MagnaNetwork.com
    Headquarters for Webmaster Resources

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i prefer the 1st layout
    it is cleaner and more structured, the content better defined and separate

however, you should make the background white as not everyone has a default white background.

and the sitepoint tip of the day really does not fit with the rest of the site.

the colours are okay, although they may be a bit bland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a look at both designs, and they do have potential. Here's what I thought:

Design 1
    I like the concept of all the different sections and how you broke them up. I would heavily caution you about the colors. That green kills my eyes and I think the blue is too dark. If you want to use green and blue I would suggest a darker green with white text and a light blue with black/navy text. I would also suggest that you don't round everything. I would like to see what it looks like if you made the right-hand sections square and put them right on top of each other, but kept the left-handed sections rounded and apart from each other.

Design 2
    I think I like this design better overall. I would recommend putting a few more GUI aspects in it though. I would separate the NEWSLETTER section and make it look layered (so it looks like it's sitting on top of the grey instead of right next to it or inside it) - I also don't like the shade of green on the textbox, it's waaaaaay too bright. I would also take the green X's off the headers (NewsLetter, Introduction, and Affiliates) and make those headers on a different shade of gray sweeping across the top of the main table. Finally, the biggest recommendation for this design is to fill it with some sort of content. I'm browsing at 1280x1024 and it doesn't even fill half of the screen vertically. That aspect of it doesn't look so hot.

Anyway, I hope my recommendations help you improve your design.

Goof
    Nathan Rutman
    A slightly offbeat creative.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, as I said these are just layouts and will be filled with content if and when I decided to go with one or the other. I really appreciate those comments.

Anyone else?

Brian
    Brian Frye
    Webmaster - MagnaNetwork.com
    Headquarters for Webmaster Resources

SitePoint Enthusiast studio1acom's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.

After looking at the two designs, I personally prefer #1 over #2. They both look great, but I just liked the feel to #1 better. Your color choices and futuristic look are very appealing. I like how everything is divided and the use of curves (they always help). But most of all the overall layout is really cool. Anyway, keep up the good work!

--Neal--

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like #2 over #1. i loved both designs but design 2 didn't take as long to load but still looks nice and clean. I also like number 2 becuase of grey.. I use that on alot of websites and I like it. Just maybe make some corners images around the main content table. Also maybe bring down the lines on the logo to the content table. Thats my opinion about it. I liked #1 alot but i dont like blue and orange 2gether.

GrafxGuyE

--------------------
    http://www.tracerscript.net/gfx
    GrafxGuyE@tracerscript.net

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like #2 over #1. I loved both designs but design 2 didn't take as long to load but still looks nice and clean. I also like number 2 because of grey.. I use that on alot of websites and I like it. Just maybe make some corners images around the main content table. Also maybe bring down the lines on the logo to the content table. Thats my opinion about it. I liked #1 alot but i dont like blue and orange 2gether.

GrafxGuyE

--------------------
    GFX Webdesign
    eMail Me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 1st layout I think some of the best designed pages on the net have multi tables only thing I would add would be a menubar on the right side to get rid of all that white space.
    http://www.hostinquiry.com
    Look up your host today!
    ----------------------------
    ~Dylan Schiedel

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the second one better then the first one as well. They both are really nicely put together, but the first one is a nit too strong (colors) IMO. The second one feels more warm and friendly... kind of like SitePoint.com.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While they are both very nicely designed, I perfer design #2. #1 looked great, however, design number two looks more professional. I would also have to agree with Mousavi saying that #2 looks more "warm and friendly."

I think with content filled into #2, it will look great!

Good luck!
    Andrew Tatum
    FinHeaven & Co - Get Drenched With Finformation
    The FinHeaven & Co Forums

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like number two - the colours on number one are a bit hard on the eyes.

You probably need to spread out stuff on number 2 so it is less cluttered.

BUT there is a major problem in number one - remember that not everyone has white as the default browser background colour. In fact, old versions had grey as the default. Mine is slightly off-white (due to my GUI colour scheme I mean) and it causes white blocks everywhere in number one. If using number one, you need to set the background colour to white, rather than leave default.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff