User Tag List

Thread: database setup

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question database setup

well, in another post I asked for a project, and I received one.. To make a address book/phone book/date book type thing for users. So they login and can document all this information. Anyways, the only question I have is... how would I work the database?

Should I make a table for each user? or would I just have very large fields for all their addresses, all their phone numbers, etc? This is the only thing that could pose a problem... Thanks for any guidance.

The Restaurant at The End of The Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just have a table with addresses and phone numbers and such then have a user_id column to show who each address/phone number/etc belongs to.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No.

It would be better to have a table for the addresses etc with an info_id as primary key, a table for the users with a user_id as primary key (and any other details that might be needed), and a table with the info_id and the user_id as a joint primary key, referencing the other two primary keys.

That way if ten users all have the same person in "their" address book, the actual address is only stored once and only needs to be updated once, rather than having to find all the occurrences of j smith, J smith, jsmith, John smith, John Smith, J F Smith and J.F.Smith (who are actually the same person) and updating them all separately.