Thread: Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Design

Hey,

Comments on my design please.
    The watermarks on images will obviously be removed.

(wow, I did not know we weren't allowed to link to a screenshot of the design as a webpage)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fillup07

hmm the link you provided did not include a screen shot. Sorry.

Can you please provide a link (to screen shot) for the members to review?

A link wasn't provided in your first post of this thread.
    Former Design Your Site Team Leader

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet design.

The style fits the industry and its intended audience and the 6 images on the homepage promote the services the company offers without having to read anything.

If anything, you might want to use a red or pink tone instead of the blue. Seeing as the site is mainly aimed at women and beauty, it might make visitors feel more relaxed and "at home".
    Si
    Are you a Photoshop Jedi Master? Prove it!

Is funky house your bag? You'll love this!

Voice
    , eyes, ears, body and hands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice, I like it. Its original which is good. Each section link links to another page right?

Looks good, keep up the good work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice and clean... I like it alot. It looks like it will be easy to convert to CSS too... and that's awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, keep it coming.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea i agree it looks good very neat and organized, mayeb you could add some mor eimages into the background of the headerthough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say that the background color clashes with the rest. The background needs to be only a shade darker then the lightest of the colors on the site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Css, thanks for the background tip. Updated version here:
    http://www.ax2.org/phil/salon/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Phil,

Let me first start by saying I think you've got a good grasp on the market for this particular website. For instance the soft roundness you've pulled in for the portrait images, along with the whispy logo. Nicely done.

Something I feel might help the design personally is to under utilize some of the whitespace you have at the top right (using this space wisely can really set this design apart from the rest).

Remember, salon, target market are women aged 30 - 50'ish. They're wanting to feel relaxed when they arrive not only to the actual salon, but also the site. Remember the site is a direct extension of the facility. If these are first-time visitors to the site they'll want to instantly get a feeling for the environment to expect once they arrive in person. So now is the time to get in touch with your ... well... salon side :-D.

In the upper right corner I would have some curved lines coming in, overlapping the tight-rigged upper line that seperates the blue from the gold. That harshness slightly detracts from the smoothness within the body of the page.

User a 3rd color that can pull both the blue and the gold together, and keep that 'clean' feeling. A soft seafoam mist/sea-green wave would work nicely there, and help give the page a more organic feel.

Keep telling yourself that the site needs to 'feel soft'. Just like the customers expect to feel as they are there... It's hard for guys to get into that mood, so if you must, toss on some Yanni, turn on the day-time-soaps, or go by a spa yourself!

You'll be surprised what a little curve & color can do for a site Phil.

Good luck. If you need any help with visualizing those changes, just let me know.

.:. Mindlash

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice job. all I have to say is that the text on the right (An Aveda Concept Salon) might look better styled more like the links on the menu. It would just fit better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really nice job. I love the color scheme. It makes it really easy to read and professional.
    s c r i p t s f o r y o u . n e t
    ScriptsForYou

High fives all round! bradley317's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty good.

I think the softness of the designs suites the site's theme, and the images you've used are suitable for the information that lies below them.

My only concern would be with the navigation. It appears that you would click the circle images to move on to further information about these services. But it's not obvious if this information could be reached from the nav bar. I'm not a fan of having to return to the home page in order to get to key sections. Generally, the nav bar should be a consitant means of getting to the main bits and should appear on every page.

Perhaps include a drop down menu so that these areas can be reached whereever you are in the site?
    Hello, hello, what's all this shouting?
    We'll have no trouble here

(Helping a pal... http://www.funkdub.info)

web designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its a really well constructed layout, and for a site such as this one which is never going to be that rich in content, it fits perfectly. I find it to be aesthetically very pleasing, and easy to understand.

The colour scheme is nice, but not great, maybe this is inline with a wider corporate image, but if not, then i would suggest you added some contrast, as it seems to blend a little.

Nice work though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the layout and the design. I would choose a different color to substitute in for the salmon color that appears in the various gradients and such. Your blue is really vibrant and to use a pale skintone like color does not fit in my mind...although I am no expert here.

I like the previous poster's ideas for the upper right hand corner. I think you could also use it for some links like About Us and a site map. Just a thought...

I would also make the bar at the bottom extend all the way across to frame in the information contained between.

I do like the font and graphic style to the name of the salon. That is right on....

M.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The layout is alright however, I would say the colors might need to be tweaked a bit. As for the layout style, i think it's good for a salon, as they do not need huge grand site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your second design has "scanlines" in the right column. I'd get rid of them... They take away from the smooth look of the rest of the site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the layout, but I wonder if you can't find another photo for the "hair care" photo. The background is very dark and pulls away from the symmetry of the other photos.

Also, the "body care" photo shows a woman receiving a facial. A photo of hands on a person's back, feet submerged in mud or water, or a person getting a wax job (just kidding!) might be better for this area.

And I agree that the navigation needs to be clear when a viewer is not on the main page. Subpages should have a drop-down navigation or subnav just below the main nav so they can get to each section just as if they were on the main page.

Hope that helps,
    Jessica

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the design, very clean and simple. Nice logo too.

Alot of graphics for a homepage and not much live text - is this a problem for search engine optimisation?

No indication of which section you are currently in. Perhaps highlight "HOME" etc

Doesnt appear to be any link at top to get to the six sections when you are in a different section e.g if you are in "news and promotions" and want to get to "hair care" - do you have to return to home first?

On the whole looks very promising though

Paul

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great site, nice design and nice architecture! I would suggest possibly trying something else with the logo, possibly making it bolder to grab peoples' attention!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very nice! It really goes with the spa industry. The only think that throws me off guard is the black in the Hair photo. I would suggest replacing that with white.
    Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, I agree with previous posters' comments on the following issues:
    • Potential navigation problems
    • Scanlines in right column
    • Dark background of "Hair Care" photo
    • Font and styling of "An Aveda Concept Salon"

Additionally, I don't know if you have any control over the salon's logo, but I find it to be muddled and weak. The colors are appropriate; together with the gold, the white gives an impression of silver and gold, highlight the classiness of the salon. The font choice seems typical of salons, but is muddled by the different introduction of a third font for the N and the increased size of this character. The additional elements (the box, the swoosh) aren't meaningful, in my opinion. Overall, this would be the area I would focus my redesign efforts on.

Edited to add a minor tweak: Is there a reason you moved the philosophy link in your second version? I noticed it quickly and easily in the first version, and it caught my interest (i.e. I would have clicked the link); however, in the newer version, it's stuck down in the corner with the copyright.

Good Luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, First of, I really like the design!

Makes clear all the services that are offered and does it in an organized attractrive way! The only think I would change is the blue..... I would maybe try a 'lilacy' (dont even think thats a word!) type color!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there, I really like the site! it gives a good impression of what the salon's all about to potential customers. The only things I would say (as others have as well) are perhaps add something to the banner on the right hand side as it looks empty, also maybe try a mauve/lilac in place of the orange/salmony gradients, it might make a difference. Otherwise it's really good

Yvonne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that a lot actually & I'm quite picky.

My suggestion would be to put the menu on the left. People like sites they are accomstomed to.

Good job. If you are a WD, can you PM me your profile.

Thanks & have a great day !

Michelle