SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting a Custom Stylesheet to work for a site you don't control.

I'm a big Halo fan. I eat, breathe, and bleed Halo. Some people call me a member of the Halo mafia.

Anyway I'm getting real sick and tired of the new http://www.bungie.net/. They've used some CSS tricks to make the site a real pain to navigate. The floating header and footer make it almost impossible to scroll around comfortably.

So what I've done is taken their style sheets and started hacking them up to make the site easier to use. I don't have any control over the sites code so I'm stuck using a custom stylesheet in Mozilla, or using the Edit CSS panel in Firefox to overide their styles. I've got a good grip on what they do and changes I want to make. There is just one problem:

Is there a way to force the site to use my stylesheet without having access to their code?

My goal would be to create something that could help everybody use the site better without having to deal with those pesky floaters. I can make the site easier for me to use and for others who are willing to take the time to set up different CSS files. What I want to do is have a solution that everybody can benefit from.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Is there a way to force the site to use my stylesheet without having access to their code?

Do you just mean user (reader) stylesheets ?.

I'm sure you know this but perhaps you mean something more involved. In ie you just select tools, internet options, accessibility, fromat using my stylesheet and then browse to your local css file.

As long as you overide all the site styles (or the ones that you want) then your user stylesheet should take precedence. (never tried it myself though).

I'm not sure if that's what you meant as I'm sure you know this anyway

Paul

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On my FireFox toolbar (http://placenamehere.com/pnhtoolbar/). There is a button which will allow you to use an external style sheet for the page your are currently viewing.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bleh.

I know about 90% of the broswer options that you can use.

Is there a technique that will work without having to change any browser settings?

I should explain my final goal better next time.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Is there a technique that will work without having to change any browser settings
    Ir seems unlikely that there would be any way to do this with changing browser settings - but then again I'm always surprised at what others come up with