SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello.

Me and a Friend recently started up www.graphic-forums.com.

It runs on vb 2 Beta 1 (Im going to get beta 2 upgraded today) Anyways, I was wondering what you guys thought of the ease of use, and how well the colors work together?

Hopefully It will 'bloom' pretty good, but its only one day old : ).

Thanks for the critiques. And Yes I have reviewed my 3 sites.
    Ken Prescott - 21Studios freelancing design
    Graphic-Forums - The Forums for the Graphic User

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edited for formatting

Grandmaster:

Initial Impression:
    The look is professional and splashy, yet not too extravagent. Well done.

Strong Suits of the Site:
    I love the way you blended the different shades of grey with the other color (a dark blue, I believe). Wonderful mix. It isn't often that one can successfully accomplish this (except for SitePoint, of course )Also, I like the 'not cookied?' section at the bottom of the page. Very nice, indeed.Things that could be improved uponNOTE: These are mostly little things that I saw throughout my browsing.
    1. At the same time I'm praising you for mixing the two colors, the style seems somewhat 'lifeless'. Perhaps a different color (i.e see the difference between the blue and orange, as sitepoint has done?). I would suggest a green instead of the dark blue, maybe. Just a matter of personal taste on this one, i think.
    2. The times of last posts on your main forum page are too light. Make them either a color or just plain back, but a light shade of grey on that one is not the way to go, I don't think.
    3. I believe a 're-layout' of the navigation buttons up top is in order. The first row (on my screen resolution, 1024x768) is half-way into the blue. While many would think this brings the navigation into alignment with the rest of the design, what it really does is set the first row apart. What I would recommend to remedy this is to center it or align it full right, down the side, and to move the 'network site' drop-down box to directly under the logo. The logo is the first thing people will see, and along with it, links to your other network sites. Another effect of this layout will be that your navigation will be more strongly aligned with the rest of the design, and it should take care of the problem I began with during this number.
    4. Another small tip: I would suggest that you don't post your member count until you get more members. Small member counts can discourage some users. However, large member counts will encourage them.
    5. Yet another small tip: Black on the dark-blue / purple background is hard to read. I'd fix it if i was you.
    Thanks for listening to me gripe! I like your site, and hope it prospers in the future!
    Last edited by goober; Feb 26, 2001 at 16:47.
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it..

The logo is extremely clear and well done!

Also, all the graphics (corners, new/old post buttons etc) are all great.

Nice choice of colors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the Comliments and Suggestions. Anyother reviews?
    Ken Prescott - 21Studios freelancing design
    Graphic-Forums - The Forums for the Graphic User

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good, could not find anything wrong. It looks like vBulletin is (becoming?) the standard in Forum Soft (?). Did you reserve GraphicForum.com? And why is it GraphicS Forum in your title? Personally, I do not like hyphen in a domain name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it...good use of logo and colors...I agree though that you may want to use one other color just to offset the darkness of it.

Over all a good design!
    Allen
    www.f5hosting.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is generally okay.....

although the logo doesn't look very graphic-y
    a more graphical / stunning logo would probably fit in more, and if well done, impress the users. it doesn't have to be complex and heavy, but the current logo is a bit plain...

i would also suggest cutting down the number of forum categories, to more general categories, as your user count appears to be low. when the community grows bigger and each section's post count is large enough, you can sub-divide it. low post counts tend to be very discouraging to forum users

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree that it is not a good idea to post registered users if the number is not encouraging. I would also recommend fixing those buttons in the upper-right hand corner. If they don't look bad in Netscape, try looking at them in IE. I wouldn't necessarily move the buttons as much as I would float the design around them. I think the design is too square. I think maybe you should add a section of white that breaks the squarish mold on that upper-right corner just to add a little bit of a creative feel to it. I would also recommend changing the color of that red logo. I really like the logo itself, but I would make it a lighter color so it doesn't hurt the eyes so much when you look at it on the dark background. I would recommend a light blue, but other colors that would work is the type of orange SitePoint uses or maybe a lighter brown/tan color. I really like the background color and the color you use for all the tables. Very nice.

Hope this helps...
    Goof
    Nathan Rutman
    A slightly offbeat creative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello there

I like your choice of colors, very cool and easy to read.

the use of "#cccccc" and "#eeeeee" always does the trick, what you need now is content and lots of members and posts so good luck
    Tutorials Search Engine: FindTutorials

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since your forum is “Graphics” forum, I would suggest you to work on making it more exciting. Try to by your own rules, and use more graphics, colors… Your forum would be perfect if it’s main subject wasn’t graphics… some thing it lacks.