Hybrid View

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

If you're like many business-owners or hobbyists wanting to establish a site on the web, you've no doubt searched in vain for a professional web design company that can create an affordable online presence for you. Too often you'll be swamped with results, only to find that everyone and their dog seems to have set up a web desigh shop and are clamoring for your patronage!

Unsure of what to do or where to turn? Here are some key points you'll want to keep in mind when selecting a true web professional:

- The web designer's own website should be a prime example of the work they are capable of doing. If the pages are dancing with dozens of animations, or flashing rainbow-colored text, it would be safe to assume that you can look elsewhere.

- Each web design business should have an online portfolio showing examples of past sites they have created. This will give you an idea of what you can expect for your own website.

- Their website should include a price list and ordering information, as well as several ways to contact them in case of any problems or questions.

- If you are interested in their services, you should be able to get a no-obligation quote from them on how much your website would cost.

- Find out if maintenance or revisions are included in the final cost. Some designers will provide a couple of minor changes at no cost, while others will give a per hour rate. Decide which payment procedure fits your needs and budget.

Finally, it is important to remember that the website should strike a balance between graphics and content. A site that loads fast while maintaining visual attractiveness will gain more visitor appeal and customer loyalty than a more download-intensive page.
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... my design site has all of those I believe except for a 'price list' - I have always operated on the belief that I want to fit my price to the person's budget.

And finally... How to choose a good web designer? Choose me! lol just kidding - or Sparkie, of course

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree with iFroggy, i would prefer avoiding giving a price list because it's always too generic and it can never meet a client needs. but client likes to see a bit how much you ask. it took me a while to find a solution, finally i'm putting big highlights on my 'custom package' while giving a few prices for 'standard packages'. i can show the results but i haven't translated yet so it's in french

zEBz

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While you can't cover every need and want, a price list provides a good measuring stick that you can use to choose a service or have your customers go by.

All you need to do is let your potential customers know from the start that the prices show are:
    1) Negotiable within limits.
    2) Can change at any time (wouldn't effect previously signed contracts of course).
    3) Custom packages can be built to fit their needs.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that sometimes people just need a comparison, they understand that their needs might be different but they need to have an idea of what you charge. I lost prices for packages on my site but I make it abundantly clear that a custom quote is the best thing for them and that they should approach me to discuss their needs.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, I didn't mean to say that you should post your prices outfront without making any changes to suit your customers, but a general range of what they can expect to pay is very beneficial. I've even made a pricelist for clients to compare pricing.
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

I looked at over a dozen different web design companies to design our e-commerce site. After slecting 6 from the examples of sites they created only 4 responded to my e-mail for additional information.

Of the 4 that responded I got prices from $50k to $200k and at least a 6 month lead time.

From research I discovered that there where companies in India that could save me money and most important time.

Bottom line: Our site was started last week in January and we are scheduled to go live April 1st. Total Cost less than $3000.00. Considering we have close to 250 htm templates tied to a live database this was a Great Deal.

The only hassle was wiring the payment.

Richard Westfall
    http://www.storeventures.com