SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Git-R-Done
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stubborn client?

I have a client who wants me to make some of the text on his home page flash. This is one of the number one things that I cannot stand on a website. I hate to have to read something and have something in the corner of the page distracting me from reading.

Does anyone have any tips on how to explain to a client as to why this shouldn't be used without sounding like a jerk? I can understand wanting to attract attention to certain things, but it also takes it away from other areas and makes it hard to read.
    John Saunders

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just give him negative reasons to have it there.

- Distracts from the rest of the site
    - Creates a usability hazard
    - Some people may not have Flash installed therefore the content is rendered useless.
    - Depending on Flash content can take a while to load.

There's plenty more, just put a really negative spin on each of the above and he'll soon drop the idea.

Git-R-Done
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, he was just wanting me to use something like the <blink> tag so Flash reasons dont' really apply.
    John Saunders

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell him that the blink tag is the digital and visual equivalent of nails on a blackboard. * shudders *

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're getting paid for the job, what difference would it make? Having a little portion of the site in flash, especially text, wouldn't be that big of a deal, not like those sites that require the whole damn thing to load for five minutes.

An argument you could provide is that flash requires a plug-in for browsers and not everyone has those, so for accessibility and usability, it might not be the best. Other than that, I would just do it and make your client aware of the negatives. I do stuff sometimes for people that I hate, but in the end, they are paying me to design it so I live with it.
    Ryan Butler

Midwest Web Design

Git-R-Done
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good one compuwhiz7!

rbutler,

I can see your reasoning about getting paid for the job, but I'm really tired of doing stuff that I know is wrong. I've spent a lot of time designiing this site to show as an example of my work and also because it's for a friend (he owns the business). It really sucks to spend all this time on something then to just have a few things in here ruin the whole thing.

Maybe I just get more distracted than most people, but I absolutely cannot stand crap flashing on a site. If I have a lot to read, I'll even that part of the window off the screen so I can't see it.
    John Saunders

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you just absolutely positively can't talk him out of it, see if you can get away with having the text flash one or twice and then stop. I've talked several clients into that, when they were dead-set on having blinking text.

Git-R-Done
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just looked up blinking elements in my copy of Zeldman's book "designing with web standards" and this is what he said about it:

Flashing or Blinking Elements
    Just say no. Not just no, hell no. You might not have used a <blink> or <marquee> tag since you were knee-high to a FrontPage template (if ever), but keep in mind that the ban on flashing and blinking elements applies to Flash and Quicktime content as well.
    John Saunders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your client is a friend, surely he should trust your judgement. He's hired you to design the site for him - he's hiring you as a professional. You should use your industry knowledge to portray what you think (or know) what is the right thing to do.

Tell him over a beer... it normally softens the blow!
    Si
    Are you a Photoshop Jedi Master? Prove it!

Is funky house your bag? You'll love this!

Voice
    , eyes, ears, body and hands.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely not!!!

Flashing text is a nuisance to almost everyone, and a downright health hazard to those with even mild forms of epilepsy (it can trigger an attack); there is no excuse whatsoever to condone flashing text. If your client is not susceptible to that argument, in my view he doesn't deserve a site.

A web site is not a billboard, it is an communication, information and interaction medium.
    If "I'm gonna annoy you 'till you're blue in the face just to get what I want from you" is the message your client wants to communicate, let him, but I for one wouldn't lend myself to that.
    Regards,
    Ronald.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How about actually putting that text in a Flash movie and do a gentle fade in/out rather than an annoying blink? You can even include an accessible text alternative that doesn't blink if you do it right .

Git-R-Done
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion! Luckily, I managed to persuade him into realizing how bad blinking is on a website.
    John Saunders

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at the end of the day. Id have just done it and showed him how crapped it really looked, let him make his own decision, its his website at the end of the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flashing text is a nuisance to almost everyone, and a downright health hazard to those with even mild forms of epilepsy (it can trigger an attack); there is no excuse whatsoever to condone flashing text. If your client is not susceptible to that argument, in my view he doesn't deserve a site.
    Try telling one of your major sources of income that he doesn't deserve a site or your services and let me know how that goes.