SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3column layout problems

Hello everybody,
    I am working on a website layout with 3 columns a header and a footer using the x library for equalising columns and a slide menu. Now i have 3 major problems which i hope you can help me with.

1. the first problem is that the columns do not equalize. well they do but they don't when the content in the middle column is less then the right column.
    2. i want to work with a min-height property but as far as i know, IE6.0 doesn't support this(?? at least not in divs)
    3. When i place my slidemenu script in the right column the layout is totally different, and putting it in an absolutely positioned div, it doesn't appear in Mozilla?
    I can put the code right under but maybe it is better to provide you guys just the hyperlink: www.haring.nl/test5.htm

Hopefully someone has some time to help me out.

Ciao Dave

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

You should post the xbrowser script questions to mike in the javascript section as its his script .

It seems that the left and right columns are returning zero height. The right column seems to be caused by the absolutely placed element you have there which isn't taking up any space I assume and the left column has no content which I assume is placed by your script. You need to ask Mike about that. (Try placing some normal content in the columns and it seems to work.)

You can achive min-height in iE by simply giving ie a height as it will treat it like min-height anyway.
    Code:
    * html #container {height:500px}
    Just do this for all your definitions that have min-height. They must be hidden from other browsers using the star selector hack as above.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Paul, couldn't make it properly work so now i use a spacer instead . The columns now do equalize (it was a padding problem) and the slide now also works after adding a higher z-index :-p

thanks for your time

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Glad you sorted it