SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Git-R-Done
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Design with tables or CSS for a client?

I normally design all of the sites I do with CSS layouts, but I'm confused as to what I should do for a friend's template. My friend would me to create a one page template. He will use it to create additional pages on his site and add/edit content whenever he wants to update info on his site. He will only use FrontPage, isn't familiar with hand coding and doesn't want to buy any other programs.

I was wondering if it would be best to design his site using tables so he can easily make changes to his pages through the WYSIWYG editor? I haven't used FrontPage in a long time but I'm betting that a page won't display properly in 2002 if it's designed with divs and CSS.
    John Saunders

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tough call.

In being a purist (or anal, whichever term you prefer), you might try to educate your friend a bit on XHTML/CSS. Put a guilt trip on him similar to those given to people who litter on the highway - stop putting crap on our Internet!

Or you could turn up the realism, realize you're really just helping a friend out, and that if you CAN faciliate his taking over the project then you SHOULD design it with him in mind.

I'd give the first method a try if I were you, knowing full well it wouldn't work with any of my friends. I'd also end up doing it with XHTML/CSS anyway - simply because if you're going to ask for my help, I'm going to do it my way. And you will be damned if you choose not to learn.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Dreamweaver and many of my clients use Contribute to add and update pages. I use a combination of tables and CSS to make it as easy as possible for them.

Contribute supports many CSS standards. Contribute is only about $99 so anyone can afford it and it is easy to learn.

I avoid Front Page at all costs.