SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

To get started in Traditional Advertising, you don't have to start with a large budget. Often times you can find long-term advertising in low cost solutions at home.

1. Advertise in a local High School Yearbook. A business card sized ad runs about $75-$100 dollars.

2. Advertise in catalogs for local events like concerts, sporting events, and city magazines. These often times are offered for dollars to a few hundred dollars.

3. Look to your local cable channel. Mine has a channel that is nothing but home ads and those of local businesses for $300 dollars you get approximately 500 exposures a month.

4. Print up business cards. A lot of small restaurants and supermarkets have bulletin boards. Put a business card on everyone. Do the same thing at local colleges or high schools.

5. Join your local chamber of commerce. Only members are allowed to advertise in Chamber publications. But even if you don't publish your own ads, you can network with the biggest businesspeople in town and gain exposure. A year's subscription can be as low as $75 in the U.S.

6. Send a press release to the local newspapers.

7. Call the local evening news and tell them about your business and how you plan on succeeding. They could do a human interest story on you. If your site is a in a good niche or you are a teenager, this could be picked up by other channels and the local papers.

8. If you have a little more money in your budget, sponsor a local child's sports team. This costs around $500 to a few thousand but your business name will be seen by hundreds every week during the season.
    Last edited by Hierophant; Feb 24, 2001 at 17:26.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Business cards are a good idea.

I thought of printing some up and leaving them in bookies. They also help with advertisers, if you are going to use any snail-mail stuff, as it makes it look more professional.

You can also simply buy ad space in newspapers etc.
    Football-Punter.co.uk
    The Punter's Lounge - the best football forum on the web.

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should see the business cards we here at SitePoint got printed up... they elicit a wow 100% of the time. Of course the price tag (design, paper, printing) turned out to be several thousand dollars but the investment is well worth it.
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also try slipping your business card into web design books at libraries and book stores.
    s-p-l-e-e-n-d-i-f-e-r-o-u-s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Originally posted by Matt Mickiewicz
    You should see the business cards we here at SitePoint got printed up... they elicit a wow 100% of the time. Of course the price tag (design, paper, printing) turned out to be several thousand dollars but the investment is well worth it.
    I'm sure many of use SitePointers would "WOW" over the cards if you scanned them on and showed them to use. Could you?

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have business cards too and they are helpful. I have one for my business and then one for my research and one for my Gibraltar site as I didn't feel that one general one covered everything!

A good tip with business cards, leave one side blank so customers can write notes about you on the back, it will make them more personal to that person and next time they read the note it might make them smile and contact you!