SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to get a handle on the basics

I finally figured out how to get my MySQL database and tables online. Now I'm struggling to get them connected to my pages.

I created two databases, usernames and passwords with the same names on my computer and remote site. For example, if my local username and password are jack_pine and jack_frost, then my remote username and password are jack_pine and jack_straw. Then I published my tables online. I confirmed they're online with my webhost's phpMyAdmin. "Privileges - All" are checked under my username.

Then, I created a new page on my local computer, inserted a recordset and dynamic table and previewed it. It works. Then I published this page and the "Connections" folder online. But when I preview the page online, I get this error message:

Warning: mysql_pconnect(): Access denied for user: '[USERNAME]@localhost' (Using password: YES) in /home/pltx/public_html/Connections/test.php on line 9
    Access denied for user: '[USERNAME]@localhost' (Using password: YES)

I'm using Dreamweaver and am also trying to figure out two folders, Connections and _mmServerScripts. I understand that both have to be on line before everything works. But I'm curious - do people who don't use Dreamweaver also create folders named Connections and _mmServerScripts, or is this just a Dreamweaver thing?

If it's just a Dreamweaver thing, I'd like to learn the alternative method, too. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I do use Dreamweaver but mainly just in the CODE view so I type my PHP stuff straight in.

Are you getting mixed up with the connection UserName and Password? These are sometimes set up by the host and are NOT stored in the database as Username or Password. Sometimes these are the same as your ftp username and password, but you should check this with your host.

I'm not sure how Dreamweaver connection string works with php (i've only used it with ASP).

Somebody else recently had a problem with connecting to their MySql database.- Maybe http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168976 will help clear some things up for you.

Good luck.