SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waddya Talking About Willis?

I always talk a good talk about the CF community and how innovative it is and how people are always doing this or that but i've never really asked what the SitePoint community is doing?

So tell me what you're doing with ColdFusion! How are you using it? how are you making your life better or someone elses better with it?

Don't be shy, i don't care if you're just building a homepage with your family pictures, or a full blown e-commerce site! Let myself and many others in the SP CF community know what you're up too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I created a custom content management system for www.997wtn.com. Some of it's features include:

- User levels
    - Admin levels (edit this page but not that page)
    - Customize the look and feel with CSS

Wish I had a demo version of it because it works really well.
    -
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

minister of propaganda silver trophy Rynoguill's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im creating a lot of content management systems, but also ecommerce solutions, intranet sites, and blogs. just about anything you can do with the web were doing it. were currently working on an intranet site that will basically manage an entire publication corporation except for general ledger. pretty exciting stuff.
    rynoguill
    Ryan Guill, AKA Mark Roman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At my current day gig, we use ColdFusion (old versions) to power our employer background screening services. We're moving away from CF, though, and into .Net, since our CF application was not written well at all from the start and is basically a seven year series of hacks and we need to move our backend processes off the web server (with half a million hits a day, we need total seperation of automated processes and user interfaces). .Net also allows us to write one library of code and use it in Windows services, user facing web based interfaces, desktop apps, and web services all at once.

In my spare time, I've not used much CF lately, but I am planning on finishing (someday) ezAuctionCenter.com. I'm also considering the possibility of setting up ezImageCenter.us so that someone could essentially buy their own license of it:

1. They buy a domain name (from an eNom account that I'll have)
    2. They select the plan they want that determines the bandwidth and disk space they want.
    3. They pay for the plan, either yearly or monthly.
    4. I set up the hosting account (may look into interfacing with HSphere or just getting my own server) and install the software I've already written.
    5. When the account is setup, they receive an email with instructions on customizing it.
    6. They can go in and manage images, change the look of the site, etc.

This would allow them to either run their own image hosting service (either for free or using PayPal or 2CO for a fee eventually) or just have the hosting service to use for themselves (i.e. for auctions, online photo albums, etc.) Basically, they'd have their own website for a reasonable yearly or monthly fee.

Anyway, that's what I'm doing with CF. The biggest drawback is the cost of CF hosting. It's difficult to get multiple domains and reasonably large amounts of bandwidth plus good service for a decent fee...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do I plug my hosting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a hosting forums. you can post it there and then edit your reply here to referance that post This way we keep everything kosher