SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fry's Electronics slams site for promoting them.

Seems the electornics mega-store Fry's Electronics is a bit upset with someone who has been posting their newpaper ads online. Threatening to sue, references to copyright violations, and accusations of "cybersquatting." I've put a few links to the info on a page at www.doyuma.com/Frys.htm

Be sure and read the letter from the attorneys. Scary stuff!

<figured out how to edit the subject>
    Last edited by JohnAz; Feb 24, 2001 at 10:35.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More info here about this story: Fry's accuses owner of cybersquating.

From article:
    "He's blowing their horn louder than anyone in the world and they are trying to shut him down," said Ralph Evans, a Fullerton, Calif.-based attorney who has offered to represent Maki. "It's horrible doublespeak to say he's competing with them...I and everybody else goes to his site to see the Fry's ads. If Fry's got on the ball, they would scan their own ads in and put them on their site."
    This is was clearly a dreadful act that was commited. Now, I just hope people will learn from this, and I won't have to worry about someone ever advertising my site like this in the future.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the above statement is in reference to the title of my post, and it was thought of negatively I sincerely apologize. The intent was to suggest people go look at the letter from the attorney and learn from the legal issues quoted.

I tried to go in and edit the subject of my post to re-phrase it, but I can't get in.

I am absolutely supportive of the site in question and feel Fry's is really hurting themselves. I have used the site in question many, many times to find bargains at Fry's. The ads that were placed on the site were scans of their own ads, placed for people to easily find sale prices while online.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I'll see if a moderator can reword the subject line immediately.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not misunderstand your subject line, but you probably might have misunderstood my post.

It seems my kidding around might have been taking seriously. I do agree with you, JohnAz, that the lawsuit is called for, due to the fact that there were copyright infringements. I am not against the action that Fry's has taken at all, especially since all they did was just warn of a lawsuit, if the material was not cleared within ten days.

Seems I should have clarified myself fully on my previous post.