SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a site that covers computer hardware, I do reviews, articles etc. and then I have a pricelist where retailers/vendors (for free) can enter their prices for others to search in.

The site has two sections, one purely for retailers, where they enter their prices, and one for the general public.

Now I have been contacted by a few retailers during the last few weeks, asking how much I will charge for advertising. And I have really no idea...

The site isn't that busy at the moment, but during the next few weeks we will launch a good deal of reviews and articles which will boost traffic quite a bit (hardware sites are good at promoting each others work :))... Then I guess I will have 1000 uniques + a day. This is a very conservative figure though...

I have thought of having ads from maunfacturers of hardware in the retailer section of the site. That would be very targeted traffic, IMO. And at the main site have ads from retailers etc. Basically your basic run-of-the-mill hardware advertising...

Any idea what I should charge for:
    - A 468x60 banner in the retailer section ? At the main site ?
    - A button in either section ?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In this market, you should charge what the advertiser is willing to pay.

Fortunately, your site exists in an arena that continues to gain a great deal of attention from online advertisers. As such, you may be able to expect $4-10CPM for a direct sale of 468x60 banner space, and about $1-2CPM for buttons.

Keep in mind that an advertiser may attempt to negotiate with you regarding this rate, so set your rate card (or first offer) 20% above what you expect them to pay.
    Czar - Former SitePoint Alumni

Want to make more money from your website?
    Join Geek/Talk to find out how!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

I also run a hardware site. I charge $20 CPM for 468x60 if they just want to commit for one month. If they commit for 6 months, they get a 50% discount.

You can see my prices at:

http://www.templeoftech.com/advertise.cfm

I've not sold any ads myself since November, when I got an ad campaign with a 120x60 banner for $10 CPM. I'm considering lowering my prices a bit, as it's very hard to sell my inventory with the prices I have. Just ask if you have any questions.

regards,

Vidar
    Vidar Langberget
    Editor
    www.templeoftech.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The market has changed pretty dramatically since last year. While there still exist many rate cards that feature CPMs of $20 or above, there are very few advertisers willing to pay this premium, even for highly-targeted placement.

It's possible to purchase run-of-site ads on Yahoo and many other major portals for a a few dollars CPM (Robert from SI was offered several million impressions of a major portal for $0.35CPM, which probably would have sold for $3-$6 a year ago). Even the geographically-targeted campaigns that run on some of the major networks only go for $8-$15CPM these days.

Net-Ads is also aimed at a tech-savvy crowd, but I cut my rate card prices in thirds this January, in response to market pressures, and I still find it difficult to sell ads.

Forget asking for $20. A potential advertiser will laugh this off, and you'll lose both your credibility, and a potentially valuable ally for future purchases. Asking for anything up to $10CPM is still reasonable, and should be enough to keep the negotiations open until you find a price that is mutually-acceptable.

Remember, if you please your advertisers, you will gain ongoing support. And let's face it, even $2 Net CPM is far better that what most networks can offer at present.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're getting the advertisers contacting you - I say you can charge high CPM. And it is still possible to get those rates. SP charges what $35 CPM? $50 CPM for the top ad in the tribune?

Plus as you said it's very targetted advertising.

I would aim at $20 CPM for a banner and just charge a flat monthly fee for a button. Maybe $200 a month for a button.

Also be prepared to haggle if necessary - think of what they may ask you and think up answers for it.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot to all of you. It has definitely given me some good ideas on how to go about it. I will let you know how I get along...

If anyone else have ideas, comments etc I'd gladly take more of it too :)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, I have now done my pricing (with the great help of hawker's 'template' - thanks :)):

How does these prices look ?

AdPrices.
    Last edited by major; Feb 24, 2001 at 09:47.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should charge a bit more for the text links. Remember, they are often more effective for the advertiser. A suggestion for the text links:

-$100 for 1 month
    -$85 per month for a 3 month contract
    -$75 per month for a 6 month contract.
    Vidar Langberget
    Editor
    www.templeoftech.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the idea. I will try it - have changed the price already...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks fantastic!

Just one point - Since you have some spaces that are available to buy per month, rather than per user, you should give some indication as to the approximate number of times the ad will be seen. If the advertiser has some idea of this up-front, they'll be better equipped to plan their media buy.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wanted to say you got an excellent site design.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To Czar:
    Looks fantastic!

Just one point - Since you have some spaces that are available to buy per month, rather than per user, you should give some indication as to the approximate number of times the ad will be seen. If the advertiser has some idea of this up-front, they'll be better equipped to plan their media buy.
    Good point - I thought of that too. Only problem is that the site is pretty new, and I don't have any consistent figures to show. But once we get some reviews and articles out (tomorrow :)) we should start to see a larger number of visitors, and a more regular number of hits...

To Aspen:
    I just wanted to say you got an excellent site design.
    THANKS. I am pretty happy about it myself :)