SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

displaying foreign characters properly

What determines if you can see foreign text like japanese or korean on the browser?

For example, i spend a lot of time looking at korean sites. sometimes they display properly and sometimes it displays something like $&@A;::%$$^#@

Is it something in the header that controls this or how the page was written?

busch

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Busch
    What determines if you can see foreign text like japanese or korean on the browser?

For example, i spend a lot of time looking at korean sites. sometimes they display properly and sometimes it displays something like $&@A;::%$$^#@

Is it something in the header that controls this or how the page was written?

busch
    Hi,

I am often working with sites in Korean, German and English and use UTF-8 encoding for this - but there are many different encodings for 2byte languages and, maybe, some sites forget to specify the proper encoding.

If a page does not display properly, you can try changing the encoding in your browser manually and the site will display properly.

In Firefox you can do this by going to "view - character coding", in IE it is "view - encoding".

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The encoding can be specified in the header, for example: "<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks pixelcop!

That's very useful info. So do you put <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /> in all your pages that display Korean characters so people viewing your page in Canada see it properly?

busch
    (ps. coincidence: i am teaching in daejeon)

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Busch
    Thanks pixelcop!

That's very useful info. So do you put <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /> in all your pages that display Korean characters so people viewing your page in Canada see it properly?

busch
    (ps. coincidence: i am teaching in daejeon)
    Hi Bush,

I'm living in Daegu, not far away from Daejon ...

As far as I know, you should always declare your encoding.

I use UTF-8, when I need to display both Korean and German (including Umlaut - like "a" with 2 dots above) on the same page.

If you are "only" dealing with Korean, you can also use EUC-KR (for Japanese you also have EUC-JP and SHIFT-JIS for example).

It all depends and the language(s) you need to dispaly on your page.

I use ISO-8859-1, if I am only dealing with western European languages and UTF-8 for mixed pages including English, German, Korean, Japanese.