User Tag List

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hi,

Many new Dot Com businesses' are spending hundreds, if not thousands of pounds on generically engineered domains. Sites such as addomianwiz.com are selling names like eWebMarkets.com for much more than they are truly worth. (eWebMarkets lowest offer is set to $12 000). But when you think of a book seller for example which comes to mind first Amazon.com or a domain like eBookShop.com (I do not know if this is actually a site I just used it as an example). True they both can be promoted and become successful online companies but you could save a lot of money by buying a domain that is often more memorable if branded right. Although most words are now taken as domains there are still some excellent domains out there. The saved money could be spent on better things such as promotion which is more likely to bring visitors to a site than a domain name.

I am not trying to say do not buy domains like eWebSellers if you can get them for a normal price for a domain but is it worth paying that much when you can cheaper sometimes better domains for a fraction of the price sites like addomainwiz is selling them for.

(PS. Credit where credit's due. And it is due .net magazine as a recent editorial gave me the subject and and an example used in this post)

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well think of it like this - a big company with venture capital can afford to spend 50,000 on a domain name - its a drop in the bucket to them.

Us little guys who are on our own can't. But - like that article link in the recent tribune says - we can still compete with the only overhead being the mountain dew we drink when we are working. We don't have buildings - we work out of our bedrooms or home offices. We dont have to pay for janitors and parking lots and secretaries and all of that. So with low overheard almost everything we make is profit and thats why small dotcoms live and big dotcoms die.

My overhead is $20 a month hosting. Currently I get 100,000 views a month - and that has grown 100% a month for the last months (500 a day in dec, 1000 a day in jan, 2000 a day beginning of feb, 3000+ a day now) By this time next year I'll be getting over 1 million a month and my overhead will still be $20 a month. So anything I make is profit. And even if I sold no advertising I could still keep up my website since it's so cheap.

As for domain names - I think I got lucky. The main one I use is literature-web.net simply because I got that one first and all my links are using it.

However I also own online-literature.com, online-poetry.com, and online-mythology.com - on greatdomains poetryonline.com is for sale for $50,000 so I consider myself lucky for snatching these up for $15.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

These are all available might be a nice addition to your porfolio.

LOOK HERE----->literatureweb.net

literatureclass.com

literatureheadquarters.com

literatureadvise.com

literatureadvisor.com

literatureadvisors.com

literatureprofessor.com

literatureprofessors.com

literaturescholar.com

literatureinfo.org

literaturecommunity.com

Hope it helps.