SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings:

I have started up a Survivor message board (vBulletin of course) and it is generating alot of traffic for me. Approximatly 8,000 impressions daily and 1,500 uniques. I am currently earning around $.45 per thousand cpm off the search box I have at the top.
    See here http://www.survivor-chat.com/

My question is, I think I could make more money off it. What would you recommend that would work well with the site. I am considering adding another search box on the bottom, but I am not sure. I would like to get the cpm a little higher as I think bandwidth may start to become an issue and will eat my little profits away.

Thanks for your help!
    "Over 2200 Free Webmaster Resources and Tools"
    Search through our continually updated directory of free webmaster resources.
    WebmasterLane.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh, well, you could always try banner networks, but it's very unlikely you'd get in as forums-only site, or at all with any site these days. I just wanted to add my "congratulations" on your site... I remember when you first set it up and it had like 0 posts.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found that message boards are very good for getting CPC / CPA commissions, because you build up a relationship with your users and they are happy to get things through your site if it helps your site.

For example, I am sponsored by online bookmakers, and whenever one of them is offering a good deal, good odds, or whatever, the regulars will recommend to newbies that they go through one of the links on my site. For example, see Paul Ross' comment here:

http://pub16.ezboard.com/fpunterslou...cID=1514.topic

However, I'm not quite sure what your site could have as commission-based ads...
    Football-Punter.co.uk
    The Punter's Lounge - the best football forum on the web.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Survivor books. Survivor videos/DVDs. The official Survivor soundtrack CD. The Survivor board game.

All available at Amazon.com.

Obviously other reality TV merchandise might do well also. Maybe find a source for European reality shows not broadcast in North America (Amazon UK/DE?). Aim for stuff your visitors can't find in their local video store.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, well I decided to stay with the search theme and I even use searchreferral(the one at the top of the forums).

Anyways I added a pop-behind that only pops-up once every unique visitor every 24 hours. It is specifically targeted to Survivor search interests.

This has more than doubled my revenue from $.45 cpm to around $1.00 - $1.10.

I would have to say this is pretty good cpm for a message forum.
    WebmasterLane.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering current ad rates, 1 - 1.10 CPM is quite good even for a normal site

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, $1.00 or so is good these days for banner ads. On my site now I average $1.50 cpm for a message board. I think that is fairly good for a message board site. You just need to tweak a little.
    WebmasterLane.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CPM = ?

If I may ask, how much are you making from this site? I do web design, hosting and that sort of thing, but sites like yours, where you intend to make money off of users of the site are a bit foreign to me.

Would you care to elaborate on your methods? Not trying to ferret out any secrets, It just sounds very interesting.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...take a look at http://www.survivor-chat.com/ this is my message forum site.

As you can see I have a custom designed pop-up that looks like part of my site and has relevant search terms(this pop-ups up once every 24 hours for a unique so as not to annoy them). You also can see the search box at the top right of the site. Those are the only two advertising places I have.

You just have to cater to what your visitors want. My visitors don't want to sign up for a lottery game...they want to find survivor information so they can use my search boxes to do so. I have actually had positive comments about my pop-up

Currently I am making around $6 - $10 a day, but expect that to easily double in the coming weeks as survivor nears the end.

Any questions just ask.
    WebmasterLane.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the $1.50 CPM from the pop up or the search banners?

Cause I think you can get $3.50 from pop ups, and maybe add the once-every-24-hour thingy to the pop ups.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is $1.50 total utilizing pop-ups and the search box. I have looked at other programs, but all the companies you only achieve like a 20 - 30% of the pop-ups counting as the visitors close them before they load.

I have looked at a couple that claim $5.00 cpm for uniques, but after the 20 - 30% is accounted for that is about what I am achieving, plus then I have control over what is included and my visitors will actually like the pop-up instead of closing it right away.

Comments?? Ideas???
    WebmasterLane.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How were you able to get 1500 uniques?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uh, I checked out that survivor-chat message board and judging by the frequency of messages, I don't think there's a chance it hell it gets 1500 unique visitors a day.

unless only about 30 of them actually post messages.

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by cornersto
    uh, I checked out that survivor-chat message board and judging by the frequency of messages, I don't think there's a chance it hell it gets 1500 unique visitors a day.

unless only about 30 of them actually post messages.
    Actually the amount of people who do post on message boards is very low - most people just read the conversations going on without participating them.

Same thing with SPF, I guess.
    HighCheats - game cheats, codes, tips and tricks for PC and various console platforms