SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems that the java buttons for web site navigation look pretty cool. But, you don't see them very often as you surf the web. Why?

They're simple to generate with some of the small software apps available, so that's not an issue. Are there that many browsers that either don't support java properly, or that many users that have disable their java within their browsers? What are the disadvantages of using java based buttons on my site?

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .... Browser speed.

If you use Java applets on your site, the browser has to load the Java compiler first, then parse through the Java code in the applet before displaying the applet. Netscape is particularly annoying with this concept (since it insists on taking about 10 seconds to load the Java compiler on my machine) and by the time it's finished loading I've probably clicked off elsewhere.

Some Java applets can also (unknowingly) crash your visitor's browser every single time without fail. Ouch. That's why quite a few people (including myself) disable Java applets on my browser unless there is a very compelling reason to use them. (the only exception I make to this is if I'm tracking NBA scores @ NBA.com)

Besides, why do something with Java applets when you could probably do it better (and make it easier for your visitors) with JScript or Flash?
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I agree with everything BC said. Also, I don't think I've ever seen a Java button that actually looked good. All the ones I've seen are those stupid gradient ones that drastically change colors.

Flash would be a much better choice.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you can always spot a Java navigation bar a mile away.

As to the comment
    Flash would be much better
    I totally disagree!

Flash is fine and a great way to snazz up a site and show of your tlents, however, a site depends upon its navigation, better stick to plain old HTML and some nice professional looking graphics.

SitePoint Enthusiast Jack@dwd.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JavaScript is best imo. If programmed correctly it will work in both Netscape and IE. Java is for high-end mainframes, server side scripting and multi-platform applications, not web buttons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Java.
    Maybe Flash or Javascript. Only use Flash if you're good at it.
    I agree with Jack about Java.
    ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Java... It brings browser incompatibility and slowness with it. (just notice how FP2000 Java Buttons don't work in IE5.5)

SitePoint Enthusiast studio1acom's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Java...ewww...

Personally I would never use Java buttons, they are always so ugly, and even take a while to load on a cable modem. Plus Java has kind of gone out of style. If you want animated buttons I would recommend going with Flash.

--Neal--