SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Lady ********* Enthusiast Me2Be's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I have a pretty successful website (4th most popular in my niche according to PCdata online) and receive about 15 million page views each month. We're coming up on our 5th year in July

Two years ago, we spent a lot of money on online advertising - search engines, related websites, banner advertising, etc. Almost $200,000 that year on online advertising, about $25,000 year on print advertising (niche magazines). Our traffic increased from about 1 million page views in January to a little over 2 million in December of 1999.

Last year we changed our marketing plan and concentrated mostly on print advertising. We spent about $150,000 on print advertising and about $10,000 on online advertising and our traffic increase for last year went from 2million in January to 12 million in December of 1999!

Many people have the misconception that if you are online, that you can only advertise online. The truth is, that if the user is already online and interested in your content/commerce/community, they will find you (word of mouth, search engine results, etc).

When you start to advertising outside the online world (niche magazines, newspapers, etc), you are opening yourself up to a whole new world of "eyeballs" (people viewing your name). If they are interested in you, they'll visit your site at their convenience. If you just rely on online advertising, it's pretty much "click now or forget about me".

Also, print advertising gives you exposure to another huge audience that most neglect. The media. Since we started advertising in print media, we have been contacted by about 50 different reporters across the country and Canada. Most are articles about different aspects of our niche, but many were reporters doing an article on the "Best ABCXYZ websites on the web". They saw us in the magazine, checked us out and thought we were one of the "best"!

If you are a serious business owner who's main base is on the internet, you really need to consider some "old world" marketing strategies to make your site succeed. Hopefully these will help!

SPF Lifer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Hey there, thank you for the informative post. I was just wondering if I could get the URL to your web site.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can't beat an ad that will be seen by millions no matter what. i have always had a problem with online advertising and havn't seen it work for me at all. there was an article or i talked to someone about this awhile go. that when you buy a magazine, you pretty much see every ad in that magazine, looking at it or flipping throught it. i definitely agree that if you have the money get some print ads. 80 percent of the time it will help you.
    I will Tell you what is wrong with your website and maybe what you can do to make it better.
    Professional Web Site Reviews ... Usability ...
    Contact Me god@stillsucks.com for more information ...
    look at my other reviews, to see what i have done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey me2be, eva2000 here

print advertising is nice - gonna be trying it as soon as i have a server that will handle the load

I am gonna advertise in conventions' handbook guides in my related genre for one of my sites which will reach an audience of 5,000 - 25,000 offline fans - the handbook is a collector's item after so serves as a good group to target

unfortunately you need money to make money - me2be US$200,000 that alone would last me 6 - 8 yrs running all my sites hehe

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering if you had some sort of funding for all of that.

You spent $225 thousand dollars on advertising when you were getting 1 million page views a month.

Even at $10 CPM 1 million page views a month is only 10,000 a month. And in todays deluded advertising (of course 2 years ago advertising was better) $10 CPM is very very hard to get.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Her main content site is completely centered around e-commerce.

The online shops she runs carries a very extensive selection of products for her niche. Products that can have very high returns and a lot of people don't think about price when they purchase.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Nicky
    www.weddingchat.com ?
    That's just our community site - our main site is at http://www.ultimatewedding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by aspen
    I'm wondering if you had some sort of funding for all of that.
    We did - we had a kick start thanks to my family who "VC'd" for us. Fortunately, we were able to pay them back in full in less than one year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Me2Be
    We did - we had a kick start thanks to my family who "VC'd" for us. Fortunately, we were able to pay them back in full in less than one year
    nice family me2be

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friend is getting married in June and apparently the average wedding in the UK costs about 12,000, it is ridiculous but a lucrative business!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by prequel
    nice family me2be
    Yep - I'm very lucky to have a family who was able to give me the support I needed to try out my dream

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excuse my ignoracne but what does VC'd mean?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    venture capitaled i suppose

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To Me2Be:

Me2Be, since you shared all this valuable and interesting info with us (which really did make me think), would you also mind sharing with us the revenue and profit your site managed to take in. Consequently, we would be able to compare the ad dollars spent with the amount of money made.

Just curious about hearing from a business that actually succeded online .
    Last edited by webwizard; Feb 25, 2001 at 16:31.