SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

doctype question

I did not design this site, but am the current webmaster. I'm having a problem with one of the pages. Went to the w3c to validate, but it started out having a problem with this doctype declaration:

<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:st1="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head>
    Can someone tell me what in the world this is? Does it mean that the page was built in Microsoft Word, and therefore there is a bunch of extraneous crap in the page??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided the answer to my above question is Yes!

Now...anyone know of issues between IE and Word HTML pages? I know I could rebuild the page, however, I'm trying to be most time efficient for this client! Problem is that I'm getting this popping up in IE as text that shouldn't be there:

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd get rid of as much Word-generated code as possible.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes...this was my opinion, too. I'm just not familiar with it at all! I got it fixed without removing all the markup. When I used Dreamweaver to remove the Word HTML...the layout of the site fell apart. Would have taken way too long to re-build it and figure it all out. Thanks for the reply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    natimage,
    did you try finding an exension that might have been built exactly for the puprose of removing ms proprietary code?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Those attributes in the <html> element are xml namespaces. Specifically, the "xmlns:v" part is for VML, a vector markup language that Microsoft created (think of it like SVG, but only works in IE), the "xmlns:o" part is for MS Office XML that gets thrown into Word-generated pages, and the "xmlns:st1" is for Smart Tags (you decide on the usefulness of that). I suggest using something like Dreamweaver's "Clean up Word HTML" command to get rid of the extraneous namespaces and markup.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe there is a free service called Word HTML Cleaner that will strip extraneous markup from Word's HTML output. You can find a link at http://www.textism.com/resources/cleanwordhtml/
    (no affiliation)
    Last edited by albion7; Jun 3, 2004 at 14:28.