SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question problems with code in new layout

Hello everyone. Let me welcome myself to this forum. I hope to be able to benefit someone, somehow; and likewise, I hope that I can be benefited from the experienced designers here.

A few months back, I created the site, www.thomasinamusic.com but was very unhappy with the outcome, as were a lot of people. The whole thing needed to be scratched, and started from the ground up. So that is what I am working on now.

Thomasina is an aspiring artist, who, even though isn't popular yet, would like a quality site for any visitors who may drop into her site. I have began creating a new layout for the site, which is located at www.thomasinamusic.com/new (this will be the template for the new design). I created these graphics in Photoshop. Let me get on to the point of this post.......

What I am wanting to achieve is this........I would like for the layout to span 100% of the screen, no matter what size monitor or resolution the person is using. (A.K.A. I would like the close up picture of her to always be against the right side of the screen). Now, I exported the graphic into ImageReady and sliced it up, and let ImageReady produce the html code for me. However, no matter what method I try, I cannot achieve the effect I am looking for. I have tried putting this table inside another table that is 100%, along with other methods, but with no avail. I have been told that I cannot achieve this because I am using graphics instead of color, but there has to be some way around this. I am wanting to replace the content.gif slice with an iframe for content, while other sections of the site always remain static.

Can anyone look at the code and tell me someway to get around this? All I want it to do is span 100% and not have a background color border around the main graphics. In other forums I have posted in, I haven't recieved much help...........just people telling me to hire them, and they would fix it for me. This isn't really fixing the problem for me, as I will not get any help in learning how to properly fix the problem for myself.

Any input/comments/suggestions anyone could give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

gretsky

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    gretsky,

The best thing to do would be to ditch the crappy code ImageReady produces and code it from scratch using the slices you have.

ImageReady, or Fireworks produce very bad code with lots of tables that can be daunting to change.

If you can't code it from scratch then that should tell you something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd
    gretsky,

The best thing to do would be to ditch the crappy code ImageReady produces and code it from scratch using the slices you have.

ImageReady, or Fireworks produce very bad code with lots of tables that can be daunting to change.

If you can't code it from scratch then that should tell you something.
    So what are you trying to say? That I can't code from scratch? I never said that I couldn't, I just asked if anyone saw what was wrong with that particular code.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Look gretsky, You said you wanted suggestions. So I posted that the code imageready produces is no good. And if you could code from scratch then you wouldn't be asking the question would you?

Learn to take in positive suggestions mate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look, I am taking positive suggestions mate, and I'm not mad.........but my point is, that the question wasn't about coding from scratch, it was about why the code would not span to 100%. Granted, Imageready may not be a good program or produce good code........I'm not arguing that......but this discussion should not be about insulting me as to whether or not I can code from scratch. It could have just simply stated that using imageready wasn't a wise choice b/c of the code, and that it would work better if I started with a blank document.....not comments like if I couldn't code from scratch, that should tell me something. I mean, I'm sorry..........I'm not mad.......but my point was 'WHY' the code it produced would not span.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that what mstwntd was trying to say was not many people would even try to code that from scratch, as it's a super-mess of tables. Likewise, it's daunting for many people to go in and diagnose problems with such code. I know it is for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick question. What is the over width of the graphics when combined?

970px?

If so, then I can see why the table will not go any bigger. If you look at the page in 800x600, then you see that there is no white border when you scroll to the side.

What you need is a set of graphics that have the same combined width as the screen resolution that you want to work in.

I think...
    Mikel
    Good decisions come from experience.
    Experience comes from making bad decisions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The problem with this layout you have is that it's a fixed layout all made up of slices. The best thing to do would be to code it again from scratch using div's and css. And use background tiles rather then fixed images in the bits you want stretched to 100%.