SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am building a new web site.(Not published yet.) I am extremely passionate about what I hope to accomplish with this site and although I believe my message is very important, I feel my written content could be greatly improved upon. Essentially, I think I am being much to detailed in my descriptions and am unable to avoid repeating myself.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions from this community that might enable me to either learn how to more effectively write content myself... or perhaps lead me to (quality and reasonable) professional services that I may be able to contract with.

Thank you for your help! TJ

SitePoint Addict michaelwheaton's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's some quick tips:

-decide the purpose of each page and then come up with some main points

-for each point that you make come up with a few supporting statements until you have a few sentences

-rewrite these sentences into a good paragraph, try to avoid making the sentences long or repeating your self because people on the Internet are reading through it as fast as they can

-after all of your paragraphs are done and organized on the page leave it a day and then go back and read it carefully out loud, you can even get some other people to proofread it

-if you really don't think that writing is your thing then look on sites like eLance.com for affordable writers

Good luck with your project! If you ever want any of the text read over just email it to me or post it on the "Website Critique" forum!

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest to take a look to http://www.useit.com/papers/webwriting/ - there are some good documents about how to write for the web.
    HighCheats - game cheats, codes, tips and tricks for PC and various console platforms

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some good books around as well, I suggest:

Writing for New Media by Bonhime and Polmann.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the web site since you have to be operational now. Follow the advice earlier givein by defining what you have to say in every content section. Read it aloud and say to yourself 'is this clear and understandable.'

Try to gather the background materials for each aspect to enable you draw a time table of how many hours/pages you need or write.

Write as if you are talking to a friend who should understand you and re-write and rewrite yourself to reduce expenses. After that give it to somebody to read through and make sure you check the facts and grammar.

In the long run you will need to get some books that will expose you to the basics of writing and check some of the resources you have online such as useit.