SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

passing reference to form from non-input field

Hey guys!

Just came across interesting js issue and wondered if someone had some advice.

I have a bunch of forms in my page, and want to pass a reference to the current form to a javascript function - when, say, a user clicks on a particular element. Normally, within any type of input field, I'd just add something like this:

onclick="my_function(this.form)"

Then, in my_function( form ) I could refer to form. No worries.

But here's the interesting bit. I also want to run the same function when the user clicks on any <a> tag within a form, like:

<a href="javascript: my_function(this.form)"> ... </a>

Problem is, with this code, the form reference isn't passed to the javascript function. the "this.form" bit doesn't work...

I find this rather curious. So the question is, how do I pass a reference to the current form from within a non input field?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried specifying the form using its ordinal reference or name?

I'm not at work so I can only guess (can't test) that its passing a reference to form[0] which is likely to be the default form.

Is the function being called? If so is this.form == null ? If not iterate through the elements and work out which form reference was passed.

Or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I really didn't want to have to specify which form it belonged to (reason being, it's going to be a script that others can use - so I want it as dummy-proof as possible).

And yeah, it's executing the function just fine - it just doesn't get passed the form name with non-input fields...

Any other ideas? [Thanks, though!]

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like he said, if there is only one form on the page, document.forms[0] will call the first form on the page...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <a> tags are not form elements which is why function(this.form) won't work in an <a> tag. You will have to specify the form.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would do like this:

Have one function called from form elements (i.e. INPUTs, RADIOs) and another function called from anchor elements. In the function that is called from anchors you attach this. Now you have the anchor object and can traverse the node tree with a little help of DOM and JavaScript and get the form in which the clicked anchor resides.

Something like (not tested, only theory)

Code:
    function onAnchorClick(objAnchor)
    {
    	var objForm = objAnchor;

while (objForm.tagName != 'FORM')
    	{
    		objForm = objForm.parentNode;
    	}

alert(objForm.name);
    }

<a href="" onclick="javascript:onAnchorClick(this); return false;">anchor</a>