User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Some Advice Here

Hey,

I just a got a job for a small business company that provides IT services. I am having a hard time trying to figure how much money I should be paid for making a website for their company. Here are some of the characteristics of the website that they want:

- Around 6 Pages: Home, Services, About Us, Contact Us, Upgrade Page, Managed Servers...
    - Slogon on the page.
    - Color scheme is up to me.
    - Easy to navigate/not too much content on one page.
    - Tentative to change website content, but not very often (maybe once or twice a month).
    - Professional/Technological look to it.
    - Random image generator for an image on the page (to make it 'fresh').

What I'm asking is, what should I charge for all of this? I want it to be fair for both the company and me of course. How much do designers usually charge for smaller sites like this? Do they charge by the hour or by a set fee? I was thinking maybe somewhere around $300, but I was thinking that would be way too much for such a small site. But then again, I have no idea. Thanks for any advice.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a small question? The website updates you mention, will you take care of those, or will they somehow do this? Seeing that they provide IT services, there is a large chance that they have someone that is skilled to do this.
    If they are not capable to do this, it might be an idea to include a simple CMS in the website, so that they can update the content of the website themselves without having to dig throught the code.

As for prices, I can't give you much feedback on that. I never do paid work.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was planning on making a PHP template and then have each page have its own text document for the content that will be included() in the PHP script. So that shouldn't be too much of an issue. And no, they are mostly hardware people as far as I know.

Anyone know what a good salary would be for this? This might just be a 3-4 week job (at least for the web site part of it).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give you an example of what I got paid at my last job (which was predominantly website designs similar to your project).

I was expected to create 2/3 sites similar to that a month. In theory, you could put one together in a couple of days but they would be very basic and won't have any real character. The client always wants something thats a little bit different. Therefore, you allocate about a week to each project like that.

I got paid 1000/month before tax (approximatly $1600/month). I was getting shafted when I did that work because I was only just a post-grad and the company I worked for said they couldn't afford much more (I doubt it but who was I to argue).

I hope that gives you an idea...
    Si
    Are you a Photoshop Jedi Master? Prove it!

Is funky house your bag? You'll love this!

Voice
    , eyes, ears, body and hands.